Culloden Development

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kyle MacLea

Culloden Development

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Also thought that others may be interested in this message overheard on the BUTESHIRE list. I don't intend for this to become a forum for discussion of the merits of this development, only to pass along the info.

Kyle
> I am part of a group trying to prevent permission being given to build houses surrounding the Culloden Battlefield. I appreciate this is outside your timeline for your group but hope that you will share the concerns over building so near to a burial ground. There is a petition and a group page for those who would like to support our campaign and I would be very grateful if the details could be passed on to your members.
>
> The historic Culloden battlefield where soldiers fought for their country and lost their lives is under threat with a proposed housing development within 400 metres of the historic location.
>
> Culloden battlefield was the location of the last pitched battle fought on British soil. It was where Bonnie Prince Charlie, the Young Pretender, and his Jacobite Army were defeated by government forces on 16 April 1746, ending his claim to the British throne and claiming more than 2,000 lives.
>
> The development is currently being considered despite being rejected by the local authority Highland Council last year. But the Scottish Government has upheld an appeal by the developers, Inverness Properties.
>
> The whole site is a burial ground for many soldiers from all the countries that make up the UK as well as other countries who perished there during that bloody battle and it should be treated as sacred ground in their memory.
>
>
> http://stopcullodendevelopment.weebly.com/
>
> Many thanks for reading this.
>
> regards,
>
> Dot
> Dot Holden nee Menzies
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Jill Richmond

Re: Culloden Development

Post by Jill Richmond »

I don't think that there are any merits regarding this development. Culloden battlefield is a very special place, and a housing development in its vicinity is totally out of keeping with the area. The Highland Council and the National Trust for Scotland oppose this, and I am shocked that the Scottish Government is upholding the developer's appeal.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Kyle MacLea

Re: Culloden Development

Post by Kyle MacLea »

That is my gut feeling as well, Jill. Doesn't feel right.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com