Lismore Pictures

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Greg Livingston

Lismore Pictures

Post by Greg Livingston »

Does anyone have any good, high quality pictures from the Isle of Lismore that they would be willing to share with me? I would like to find some that I can use for our clan tent(s).

Thank you,
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
jmlivingstone

Re: Lismore Pictures

Post by jmlivingstone »

Greg,

It might be worth contacting www.isleoflismore, they have about 6000 photos on their site, possibly they may give permission to use some of them,

John
Greg Livingston

I've been thinking about that, John. But, I would like to include information about the picture and also "Taken by our clansman, John Livingstone, in 2015"
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Greg and John,

I am hoping that if our Clan Society member David (David Livingstone) is visiting Bachuil, Lismore and the Island of Lismore this summer he could take lots of photos and share some of these and his experience in a future issue of our Clan Society Newsletter "THe Parnasus".

regards,

Donald
Greg Livingston

I have asked him to. I am friends with him on Facebook.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

My wife is the photographer but I am sure that we will have pictures galore to share and yes I will try and write an article for the newsletter.... Only about one and a half to two months away now. :)

Any other clan related locations anyone would like a picture from? The general road trip is Glasgow to Oban (Isle of Lismore), up to Inverness (Culloden) and travel the highlands a bit before heading to Stirling and Edinburgh through Pitlochry (Cairngorms National Park). We are not making many plans so if there is any places along that route you can think of that would be good for a photo please let me know. :)
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Canadian Livingstone

Hi David,

I am looking forward to seeing your photos as I sure others will be. The Isle of Lismore has it's historic ruins and of course there is Bachuil, the Baron and the staff of St. Molaug. Perhaps you could select your personal favourites from Lismore and do an article on your experiences on the Isle of Lismore for a future issue of the Newsletter. One of my own projects is to locate the ruins of Savary Mill in nearby Morvern Parish, Argyll along the Savary River by the bridge along the road there which was overgrown apparently in the 1990's but was going to be cleared up of vegetation. I have made inquiries with a few locals there but no one seemed familiar with the ruins or had the time or interest to search for them out so far. At one time Donald Livingston's son Adam operated the mill at Savary in the early 1800's and Donald Livingston of Battle of Culloden fame (1728-1816) and his family lived at the adjacent tenant settlement at Savary from about 1600 A.D. Prior to that the family story as told by an Ohio, USA, great nephew from what Donald's niece's told him in the 1800's, their ancestors lived at Achnacree, Argyll. I have an old map which shows precisely where the Savary Mill was located in the 1860's next to the old bridge that crossed the Savary River then on one side of the RIver. West of the river there may be ruins of the tenant crofts at the Savary settlement itself, but I don't want you to waste you travel time unless there is actually some ruins there to see. Won't be much in any event and not in any ways as spectacular as those you will find on the Isle of Lismore to be sure. If not I am hoping that John Livingston or one of clan folk that lives in Scotland can might do a drive by when they are in that part of western argyll some day and see if they can locate it. I will try again to make contact with someone who is familiar. I actually do have one other contact whom I think knows someone quite well who has visited the site of the ruins at Savary Mill and may be able help in directions to finding the ruins and and any other ruins that might exist at the old tenant settlement at Savary. My great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingston (1775-?) was born in Morvern Parish according to his marriage record, but baptismal records in neighbouring Lismore Parish suggest my ancestor old Miles a boatbuilder and barrelmaker was baptized in 1775 while his parents Donald Livingston and Christian Campbell were residing at Cloichlea at Lismore. It is not impossible that my ancestor lived both at Morvern and at Lismore and they were right next to each other and Livingstons in those days did move around a bit I have noticed when researching other people's Livingston families.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Greg,

Sorry I did not see your April 4th message. I don't see too many messages in this part of the forum and unfortunately missed yours. Look forward to seeing some of his favourite photos from the trip and hearing all about it.

regards,

Donald