James Livingstone

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kyle MacLea

Re: James Livingstone

Post by Kyle MacLea »

A lot of useful data there. Hope some folks working on this line will take a look!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Kyle,

Going back probably around early 2013, Donald & myself were trying to find a verifiable connection with James & my relation Angus, James & his wife appear in, I think the 1841 census for Colonsay, at the same address at Uragaig as Angus & family, this research originated from an enquiry by Debs Livingstone.

Unfortunately, although they were resident at the same address, we never did manage to prove their relationship, I have no doubt there is one somewhere, still waiting to be found.

While having yet another look, I recently came across the above information, although it contains much of interest, it unfortunately still didn't give any further info on James relationship to Angus, at least so far.

On another subject, I presently have in the region of 650-700 documents, OPR's, BDM certificates etc., the majority being Livingstone info, is there any way they could be made available for others to view, without breaking copyright rules etc. ?

John
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi John

Well, I have wondered the same thing. Posting in a big data dump is unfortunately not going to work for that reason. You could write up an index of the material and put it up on a service like Dropbox for free, then when anyone desires the documents, "share" them at that point with that exact individual. Since there would be a password, it would not be freely available. Possibly you could even create such a resource for the Clan Society, and others could deposit documents there, and perhaps all Clan Society members could have access?

Food for thought,
Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

And potentially.... add to the Dropbox their own documents.
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John (and Kyle),

I can not be 100 per cent certain that the James Livingston who appears in the 1841 Census with your ancestor Angus Livingston is the same James Livingston who settled in Ontario in the 1840's but there certainly was some information pointing us to that possibility. What is known is that the James Livingston who left Colonsay and settled in Victoria County, Ontario, Canada in the 1840's was married to a Mary McMillan. This has been verified by a lady in Canada who is a descendant. THe marriage took place after the 1841 Census so at teh time of the 1841 Census there is a single James Livingston residing with ANgus Livingston. This James Livingston disappears from Colonsay apparently and is not in the 1851 Scottish census. Another interesting thing that I noticed in the 1841 census info is that a Macmillan was residing with ANgus at his cottage. I asssumed that he was possibly a brother or some relative of Mary MacMillan who we know from the records and family accounts in Canada married the James Livingston who settled in Victoria County, Ontario Canada just a few years after the marriage in Colonsay. THis Macmillan who resided with old Angus Livingston curiously enough according to the Colonsay marriage record married a Christina Livingston around 1840 or thereabouts. It would appear that the Christian Livingston that appears in the 1841 Census is the wife of the MacMillan that resded with old ANgus Livingston in 1841. But here is the mystery and that is who is that Christina Livingston who married this MacMillan chap around 1840. She can not be daughter of Angus Livingston also named Christina Livingston born some years earlier that this Christina Livingston residing with old Angus in 1841. Hmm?
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

James Livingston of Colonsay Continued
The frustrating thing about all this is that the records seemed to point to James Livingston of Victoria County and later Wellington County, Ontario as being the same James Livingston who resided with Angus Livingston in Uragaig, Colonsay as indicated in the 1841 Scottish Census.

Angus Livingston's census record of 1841 indicates that he was residing in a croft at Uragaig in Colonsay with his wife Margaret, James Livingston, Hugh Livingston, Malcolm McMillan, Christina McMillan and their infant son Duncan McMillan age 6 months. I am pretty certain this Christina Mcmillan residing with her husband Malcolm in the residence of Old ANgus Livngston and his wife Margaret with Hugh Livingston and a James Livingston was formerly a Livingston herself. ( There are two marriage records in the Colonsay records which indicates that Malcolm Livingston married a Christina Livingston and a year or two after them a James Livingston married a Mary McMillan .) One child of James and Mary was born in Colonsay and the rest were born in Canada as noted in the Canadian family information you located.

age for James Livingston at the time of the Scottish 1841 census is given as 25 so I assume he was born abt. 1816 or 1815 depending on the actual month he was born and when the census was taken.

THe James Livingston who settled in Victoria County, Ontario in the 1840's with his wife Mary McMillan and later lived in Arthur Township, Wellingston County, ONtario died December 24, 1894 age 79 so it seems very likely that he also was born in 1815. The 1851 and 1871 Ontario Census records indicate James was born about 1817 or 1816 but the 1861 and 1881 census give an age of 46 and 66 with an approximate birthdate of 1815.

So we have two Colonsay Livingston family mysteries. That of James Livingston born 1815 and that of Christina Livington (Mrs Malcolm McMillan)

regards,

Donald