Useful Links

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kyle MacLea

Re: Useful Links

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Been meaning to look at these records of the 'Commissariot of Argyle'

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John and Kyle,
Regarding the Manitoba Archives HBC Hudsons Bay Company/ Selkirk Red River settlement info on settler Donald Livingstone b. abt 1791 (m. Ann McGilverary) and his family.
My Livingstons are connected to these Livingstons somehow and Jerry Schimdt of our Clan Society is a descendant of one of the brothers of Donald Livingston who was married to Ann McGilveray mentioned in this family list. Donald arrived in 1812 at Lord Selkirk's Red RIver Settlement along with my ancestor Miles Livingston b. 1775 both hired originally by Lord Selkirks agent to be boatbuilders for the settlement.

The brothers and Donald's father Neil Livingston and his wife arrived at the Red River Settlement in 1819 several years after Donald, my ancestor Miles Livingston (a cousin?), Miles wife Janet (Jessie) Livingston and MIles son from his first marriage also named Donald b. abt. 1796 who arrived in the fall of 1812.

Regarding the HBC Hudson Bay Company records and Selkirk Papers from the Lord Selkirks Red River Settlement Donald Livingston and wife Ann McGilveray came to British North America with Miles Livingston a boat builder like Donald and his second wife Janet "Jessie" Livingston in 1812 aboard the Robert Taylor a Hudsons Bay Company vessel which Lord Selkirk chartered to bring some Mull McLeans, some Irish settlers and other highland settlers to Hudsons Bay and from there on about an 800 mile journey south by canoe and small boat to Selkirk's Red River settlement. As noted Donald the boatbuilder and his wife Ann McGilveray has daughter Nancy born in 1817. It my ancestor Miles Livingston and his wife Janer that had a daughter Ann baptised in 1813. Her name was actually Nancy or Nancy Ann Livingston. She married my great-great grandfather John Clink in the 1830's in Upper Canada. And that is how my family came to be connected to a family of Highland Argyllshire Livingstons that originated in Morvern and also lived and found work on the Isle of Islay in Southern Argyllshire before settling in British North America (Canada) in the early 1800's. Lord Selkirk acquired the land for his settlement in the Red River area from the Hudson Bay Company and the settlement was in land that still at that time Hudsons Bay Company Territory and not a part of Canada yet.

Jerry Schimdt and I are possibly cousins through this probable Red River Livingston family connection but we have not found as yet a Livingston in present times who is descended one of the brothers or a descendant of this Donald Livingston born abt. 1791 Boatbuilder who came to the Red River settlement on the "Robert Taylor" with my great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingston to prove Jerry and I are 3rd or 4th cousins? or whatever we would be.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John and Kyle,

Several years ago I found out that on this Hudsons Bay Company vessel "THe RObert Taylor" that was bringing Lord Selkirk's scottish and Irish settlers to Hudson's Bay there was a Doctor who later actually wrote a book published a few years later based upon his experiences aboard the Robert Taylor. The doctor was not part of the Red River settlement group and I dont know where he went after he arrived at the Hudson Bay Post, but he was travelling with them to Hudsons Bay and when he apparently returned to Britain he wrote published his account of the voyage to Hudsons Bay. I eventually to my delight found a reprint of his book and eventually a first edition of his book published in the early 1800's. He talks about a Mull McLean family aboard the ship who had their own bagpipe player who played highland songs and of the dancing aboard the ship which helped to minimize the boredom aboard the ship during the long voyage. Also the fascination of the passengers seeing for the first time Icebergs and eskimos. The author states that the boat came very close to sinking in the icy waters as the copper plating on the bottom of the hull was damaged by the ice.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »