Livingston researcher needs repository for correspondence

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
JanetS

Livingston researcher needs repository for correspondence

Post by JanetS »

For many years before the internet, Ronna Eagle, edited a national Livingston newsletter and kept up correspondence back and forth between Livingston researchers. She is now looking for a repository where she can donate the correspondence files. Ronna descends from the German Liebensteins who became Livingstons and Levingstons, so she is keeping those files. She lives in Ohio and is considering the Ohio Genealogical Association. Any other suggestions?
Janet Seegmiller
Also a Liebenstein
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Livingston researcher needs repository for correspondenc

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Janet,
I recall you have done quite a bit of groundbreaking research on these Livingstons of German origin in the past and contributed greatly to a better understanding of them. It is my hope that these documents you mention can somehow be preserved for future researchers of this Livingston family group.
I myself have spent quite a bit of time over the years occupied with research into highland Argyllshire Livingstons and regrettably not as much attention was given to those who contacted us here over the years regarding other Livingston families with unique and interesting New York, Pensylvania and Ohio Livingstons. I have had some interesting discussions with some Livingstons whose connections are with Robert Livington of Livingston Manor, James Livingston and Catharine Kuhn of New York State and other Livingstons who believed they were linked to a German family who adopted the name Livingston. I think that was Pennsylvania family. I would like to spend more time in the future learning more about the current research of these families and how it is progressing.

I am not sure who is the foremost expert on these german Livingstons beyond yourself, whom I remember from earlier discussions, so I am not sure who the other folks out are who are connected to this family and who doing research on this interesting family of Livingstons. There may be someone in Pennsylvania connected to this German Livingston family that might be interested in the documents but I am not sure who that is.

I wonder how many document files would be involved? You are if I understand correctly the foremost expert on this Livingston family group. Any chance you could take possession of the file documents?

Our Clan Maclea Livingstone Society does not have an archive, but I can consult with our North American Clan Commissioner Greg Livingston regarding our Clan society setting up some sort of archive in the future to house some printed or hand written documents of historic value to the clan and to Livingston families worldwide. At this time however we do not have an archive.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society