Disappointing News

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Cmcclay

Disappointing News

Post by Cmcclay »

Hi all,
It has been a long time since I've posted, but wanted to discuss the recent news about Bachuil.
First, I want to be clear about our Chief's decision to put Bachuil up for sale. I understand his reasons and would do the same thing if in his shoes.
Having said this, I must profess my dismay that Bachuil will be sold as I am not sure what this means for the Clan.
The Chief says he is keeping the land for historical reasons. Not sure what this means. Are we talking about the land granted in the 1544 Charter? Sure hope so. If not, are we losing the whole underpinnings for be recognized as a Clan?
What will happen to the sacred staff? Is it staying at Bachuil? Again I hope so for the same reasons. I am certainly willing to do anything we can to keep it there, including financial assistance.
Hope all is well with the many fine contributors to this site.

Craig McClay Wilson
Greg Livingston

Re: Disappointing News

Post by Greg Livingston »

Craig,
I think we are all in agreement that it will be sad to see Bachuil House and Hawthorne House leave the family (clan) and we also agree with the reasons. My father will be 90 in a few months and is concerned about his house. My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 10 years ago and he has enough on his plate without thinking about the house.

The reason to keep the lands for historical reasons is that so much of the property has been in his family for generations. The houses are much newer. The total amount of property being sold is less than 1 acre and therefore a very small percentage of the property. Even if all the property would be sold, the history is there to ensure that the Clan stays alive. There are some Clans that have been receintly recognized where there has been no Chief and no one on the "Clan lands" for generations. (If the Queen were to sell Buckingham Palace and move to a much smaller house that she could take care of she would still be the Queen of England, etc.) The Bachuil Mor is the property of the Chief and will be handed down through his family for many generations to come.

To me, ideally, the members of the Clan Society could form a Limited Liability Corporation (as they are known here in the States) and fund it with enough to purchase the property and maintain it for years to come. Practically, I don't see that happening. Maybe one of us could win the Power Ball or Mega Millions and purchase the property. Well, we all know the odds of that happening but I'm trying. I've tried four times each and might have better luck just saving the money.

My wife and I have plans to head over there in May/June and stay at Bachuil House for at least 4 days if it is still a bed & breakfast. We wish it could still be his at that time but really hope that it sells fast for him.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA