DNA doesn't lie!

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Michael Anderson

DNA doesn't lie!

Post by Michael Anderson »

I'm putting this under General because it has nothing to do with the Livingstone DNA project, and because to me it makes more sense.

Some years back I made a post with the minimal amount of info I had on my Livingstone ancestry (father's mother, her people traceable to Ulster) and there wasn't much anyone could add apart from the marriage record of my grandfather and grandmother in Ontario, which I knew of. However...

...this year I did the 23andme DNA panel, which as anyone will tell you doesn't dig very deep as far as what you can access from their website. But this is where it gets interesting, because they do let you download your raw data to use anywhere else. So I did some research and saw that GEDmatch (https://www.gedmatch.com/register.php) looked promising. They don't process the current 23andme information, but do link to a beta site that does. From there I uploaded my raw data, waited a couple of days for it to be processed, then used their admixture tools to generate reports that show putative ancestral points of origin, and folks - "Scottish_Argyll_Bute" came up in every possible permutation it sent back!

So I think that's pretty cool, and seems to lend further credence to the notion that the Livingstones/Livingstons/Levingstons are of the same origin regardless of spelling etc. Very happy about finally settling this, as far as I'm concerned anyway.
Kyle MacLea

Re: DNA doesn't lie!

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I did 23andMe but had not used GEDMatch yet... I will give it a try! Thanks for the tip.

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Michael Anderson

Re: DNA doesn't lie!

Post by Michael Anderson »

Well, I'm honoured to be able to help in any way Kyle! Once you've registered and uploaded your 23andme .txt file and it's been processed, the link you want is down at the bottom of your page as shown in this screenshot:

https://ibb.co/cMVRmG

Good luck and hope you enjoy the experience as much as I did.

- Michael.