Scotland Trip 2018

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Grant Livingston

Scotland Trip 2018

Post by Grant Livingston »

Greetings Clan Members!

My wife, father, sister, and brother in law are planning a trip to Scotland in August. We will arrive in Glasgow Friday, August 9th and leave the 18th. We are coming from California and Oregon. We will be visiting Niall on Lismore the nights of the 10th and 11th, then heading north to Inverness in our rental van. Eventually we will work our way to Edinburgh, and finally back to Glasgow before our departure.

Do you have any recommendations for Livingston family and/or historical places to visit during our trip?

Many thanks,

Grant
Greg Livingston

Re: Scotland Trip 2018

Post by Greg Livingston »

Grant,
Niall will be able to give you a lot of information on where to visit. Joyce and I were there last August for 3 nights and enjoyed every minute. We were unable to hit everything he suggested but those that did we enjoyed. We also stopped at the town of Livingston which is between Edinburgh and Glasgow as well as the David Livingstone Centre in Blantyre. Since then I joined the clan DNA project and discovered that I am related to Dr. Livingstone so that has become a great memory. Last year was also the Splash of Colour at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo where we marched in the opening ceremonies. When you get back, it would be great if you could write up an article on your trip for the clan newsletter.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Scotland Trip 2018

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Grant,

Sounds like it could be a very exciting trip. As Greg has stated ,with some experience, there are many historically and picturesque sites to see in the Highlands and in Argyllshire in particular those that have some connection to our Clan as many of our Maclea Livingstone ancestors lived in parishes throughout Western Argyllshire. Lismore alone is filled with great beauty and is the historical centre point of Clan Maclea Livingstone as situated on this Island as you are aware is Bachuil the ancestral home of Baron Livingstone our Clan Chief.

I remember that you briefly visited our forum in 2012 and it sounded like you were starting on a family research quest regarding your Livingston ancestors. I would be interested in knowing if your have established a basic Livingston ancestral line for yourself and would appreciate if you could share it with the forum and other Clan Livingstone family researchers here. That is to say have you established who your great-grandfather, great-great grandfather and great-great-great grandfather Livingston etc. were, where they lived when born married died? I have in the last 10 years researched a very great many Livingstons of both the highland and lowland,Scotch Irish Livingston family groups and few others whom are in the unknown origin category, so chances are reasonably good I may be possibly some help with your Livingstone family research if I can figure out who your Livingston ancestors were and the some ancestral data is out there and also can give you some helpful Livingstone research suggestions.

For those who are really stumped on their Livingston family origins particularly when a well documented paper trail of family history records just can't be located, some like Greg our North American Clan Commissioner, my own Livingston cousin and many other Livngstons from all over the world, over the years have done the familytree Y chromosome DNA test with familytreedna and this particular test has been often very helpful in determining which already tested Livingstone family group your results are a match with. And some of the matches may have done some family research of their own which may provide clues as to where in a general sense or a more specific sense where your Livingston family and your Livingston family ancestral group originated in centuries past.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society