Saving old forum posts

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Canadian Livingstone

Saving old forum posts

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello,

I am not well acquainted with the technology and not certain what can be done with our old posts andwondering if all the forum posts could be saved on a hard drive and discs. I would imagine transfering all the posts to the new site would be time consuming and difficult. Am I right about that. How is it done and would it not be possible to put all the data for storage on a hard drive and then on to discs as to access in the future. I understand that the Baron is transferring some postings and am hoping that ultimately we can save all of the postings since 2004 even if it is not feasible or possible to put them all on the new website. Help from the Maclea Livingstone tech people on this one please.

regards,

Donald
Livingstone_PEI

Re: Saving old forum posts

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi All

If it is possible can we have a copy of the old discussion forum, including the database for personal use? It is possible to be able to set it up on your own computer and run it without needing an internet connection. I know Windows 2000 Professional has a personal web server built-in the version of Windows and that would allow a copy to run on the computer for resource purposes, and then if someone needed a post from it we could post individual requests on the new forum. There are other personal web servers that can be setup to run on your own computer as well.....many of them are free.

Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Saving old forum posts

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello Baron,
Thank-you and all others involved for going to the trouble to save all those posting. Hope it can be set up that we can go back and refer to them from time to time with the searchable feature. Much of it is in my head and in the form of filed away notes but it is great to have all that information at hand when we need it.

thanks again,

Donald