Possible Scenario for Colin's Son John - stone cutter

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Livingstone_PEI

Possible Scenario for Colin's Son John - stone cutter

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi Donald

I know this is speculation, but I have found somewhat of a scenario. If you look at the 1891 census for PEI you will see a John Livingston, Colin's son, and his wife, living in lot 62, Wood Island's. This coincides with the deed. You will notice that he is listed as a stone cutter. I don't know where he learned his trade, but there is no hard rock on PEI, for almost all rock here is sedimentary. Now this is just a theory and I know there are a few holes in it. I could not find John in future census documents in Canada that matches he and Kitty. So I started looking in the USA, and I concentrated on Massachusetts. Ok....here is the stretch......

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsea ... aceId=2523

One is married to a John Livingston, a Granite something, but assuming a granite cutter. So I checked to see if there were any other Livingstones in Norfolk and this is the three I found. I see similarities, but some of the information doesn't jive. One of these is likely Colin's daughter. At first I thought maybe Colin had a young wife and the one might be his widow, but she would have had to have birthed Angus at age 9......a litle too young.

Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Possible Scenario for Colin's Son John - stone cutter

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Barry,

It is hard to say. Your way ahead of me. I am still trying to convince Dr. St. Clair that your Colin Livingston is the son of John Livingston Sr. and brother of John Livingston Jr. and ALexander.Most importnant I think we have a rare original document which will amaze you if I can prove what I think it proves regarding your family. Evidently a decendant of Alexander Livingston had an original copy of that document listing John Livingston and Catharine Campbell of Kilninian and Kilmore Parish in 1821 seeking passage to Pictou, Nova Scotia and other related information. I will try to get you a copy of this rare family document but if not I have the information copied out from it. To me the fact that ALexander's family had an "original docment like this indicates that Alexander of Whyccocomagh was also the son of John Livingston and Catharine Campbell of Mull River, Innerness County, Cape Breton not just John Livingston Jr. who married old Kate. If I can convince Dr. St. Clair of this then all I have to is provide more proof that your Colin is also a son of John Livinston and Catharine Campbell which I have maintained for some time now. As I believe Dr. St. Clair to be in his eighties and having done Inverness County, Cape Breton for 50 years or more I feel fortunate to have stumbled upon him as he has provided me with a good insight into the origins of what I believe to be your Cape Breton and before that MUll, Scotland roots. Now if only you were a Livingston and we get some DNA from you for the Livingston genealogy DNA project.

We need some proof regarding Colin.
I need for the Beaton Institute to provide verification in terms of a photocopy of that 1861 Census. There is some doubt that Colin or Collen Livingston was at Whyccomagh in 1861 so I need whatever proof the Beaton Institute can provide. ALso I need a copy of the deed from Catharine Livingston in 1892 indicating the LOt Number in PEI that was transferred to John or ANgus whichever it was. There was more than one Catharine and son Angus in PEI at this time unfortunately. Hopefully we can at some point also check out the possibility of a land record for the time when Colin lived at Whyccomagh if in fact he owned property in the Whycocomagh that he lived on circa 1860's and before he went to PEI where he died in 1867. I want to make absolutely sure there is no land record for Colin in the INverness County Archives or Nova Scotia Archives. Dr. St. Clair is sceptical about COlin at Whyccomagh so I will do the best I can to prove your case that Colin did in fact live there and was a son of John Livingston and Catharine Campbell. THe more evidence I have the better.

regards,

Donald
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi Donald

I can get my uncle or cousin to do the DNA test. I just have to scratch together the funds. My wife just started a new job and she had been only working part-time, so it will take awhile to catch up. Did Dr. St. Clair do the DNA test, and if so what are the results of that test for him? I know Dr. St. Clair is hesitant to acknowledge another brother, but it is quite easy to miss someone if they left NS before the 1881 census was completed, where they listed family member names.

I'm afraid the only proof I have of the land transaction for Colin is the one I have found and added to the photo gallery on this site. I have asked the researchers at the archives what other land documents are available and they told me they have everything from that period and earlier to about 1756. I have exhausted everything they have. I even looked through the fronds of the lieutenant governor of the period too. There are alot of newspapers as well, but this is a very slow process. I have searched the mortgages and leases for Livingston as well, although the mortgages are not indexed, so it is a very slow process. I will need some more time on that area. Gerogetown used to have a courthouse, but that is now a youth detention centre and all documents were moved to the archives before the move.

I will email the Beaton Institute and see if they can send me a scanned image of the document, the 1861 census.

I have seen an email post where someone had asked about this document, and Dr. St. Clair responded to the post and said he wasn't aware of who this was. I would love to have an original of the document for my family file.

Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry,

If you have an Uncle or cousin that is a Livingston then that would work, but you realize it has to a Livingston because it is a Y Chromosome test. I had a Livingston cousin recently do the test. Only a Livingston relative of Dr. St. Clair would work with this kind of test. For our families to be tested we need Livingston kin. The 37 marker test is cheaper than the 67 marker test and Andrew and Kyle have told me that you can always upgrade to the 67 marker test at a later date. It is not that expensive for the 37 marker and I am hoping that more Martime Livingstons are tested to help determine if the highland Livingstone group which my cousin seems to be matching up to continues to match up to Cape Breton and other Livingstons of possible Mull/Morvern Scotland origins.

Interestingly ALexander and ANn Livingston did have an eldest son Duncan at Skye Mountain, WHycocomagh. I left a message with Dr. St. Clair and will try and get back to you with an answer to your question on this as soon as possible. My laptop seems to have crashed but fortunately I have another computer. Cant get the operating system to come on or the windows screen. Most of my genealogy is on the working computer at least all my written famile histories, a family tree data. There was just a bit of recent Livingston stuff on the other and alot of it I have in notes and files or inside my head. In any event hopefully I can retrieve the files.

regards,

DOnald