Sub-Fora and Discussion Areas

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kyle MacLea

Sub-Fora and Discussion Areas

Post by Kyle MacLea »

As we look to establishing this new forum, I think we may want to establish some different sub-fora or discussion areas to better divide up discussion. We don't want to have TOO many areas, but these are the ones I envisioned. Can you think of more?

Public General Discussion area = anything related to operation of the forum or general clan questions, etc.

Public DNA forum = stickies that describe how to get tested, who runs it, etc. allows discussion of testing in general terms, queries about joining, but NO discussion of results.

Private DNA forum = PRIVATE forum available to registered forum members who are approved by the DNA project administrators ONLY so that DNA test results may be discussed in private.

Public Ancestry Discussion = queries and help for people seeking ancestry info. This could include look-ups using our MySQL database by members for members of the public, but should not include sharing the entire database or huge numbers of look-ups for non-members??

Public Gatherings Discussion = announcements and discussion of any public society or clan gatherings

Private Society Business section = PRIVATE -- voting, decisions on the clan society. Newsletters
would be posted to the Members-only section and would be available archived there in perpetuity.

Private Society Discussion section = PRIVATE -- ancestry or other discussions by clan society members

(Optional) Public or private Off-topic area = anything else. Given that we don't want to have politics, etc., on the forum, I'm inclined to leave this off, but a lot of forums have it.

Private access to the primary clan society member benefit on this forum would be direct MySQL access
to our Database AND ability to add information about your families to the Database.

Any other areas folks would like to see? Thoughts?
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Sub-Fora and Discussion Areas

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,
I likewise am open to suggestions and discussion.
Yes to be sure some aspects of information, clan business and the DNA project should be in some sort of private rhelm but I would hesitate to use the new forum as a launching pad for some sort of secret society with heavy rules and restrictions placed on clan members and visitors. I think for the most part the conduct rules that operated under the Baron's old forum kept annoying particpants out except perhaps myself. (I was annoying from time to time.)

I question the real advantage to the clan of establishing a complicated myriad of rules and regulations with the forum. I would personally like a see a forum that is open and encourages new ideas, is welcoming to new visitors and has a fun atmosphere not oppressive. This is only my oppinion but let Clan Livingstone and its forum not become a secret society. Let the forum naturally evolve in of course an organized manner by topics of interest to the participants that are of some interest and relevance to Clan Maclea Livingstone members. And lets make certain that both Livingstons and Macleas can find the forum in the greatest of numbers when do a search.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hey Donald!

It's good to be back on the forum, and see the new changes! I've had a long process of moving from Indiana to Colorado, and I'm only now getting settled. I probably won't be at my usual participation level for some time, due to learning my new work responsibilities and all the stuff I need to catch up on from the past few months (my apologies to those who are waiting for responses that I haven't gotten to yet!).

As for the forum, I wholeheartedly agree with you that we want no secret society here. Likewise, I don't want anything too complicated. There are a couple of things that we need, though, I think.

I have heard from a few people via email that they would love to discuss their Livingstone or MacLea families with clansmen, but that due to privacy concerns, they do not wish to do so in an open forum that may be picked up via internet search. They have even said they would be glad to pay for the right to post to such a forum if it were useful. Because of this, I think we need a private clan society members only area that is NOT found by internet search, so those with privacy concerns will have a place to share their information. I think restricting this area to those who pay for it makes sense.

Likewise, we need a private area for DNA discussions. If we like, we could always just leave the Yahoo discussion group for that, and have the DNA area on this forum only for general discussions, not test results. I just think it's important to not compromise anyone's privacy in this open group. Whether we fold the Yahoo group into a private area here, keep the Yahoo group and have nothing on this site, or some combination--I don't care as long as we agree!

The Society Business section I proposed just so that if we have a paid area, those members with business with the society ("Let's sell some t-shirts!" "Let's set up a booth at the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games"... that kind of thing) would have a place to do it, before publicizing it.

Just some ideas.... but again, I agree, Donald--no secret societies, nothing too complicated, let's "Keep It Simple, Stupid." And by stupid, I mean ME. :lol:

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

Glad to have you back where you belong. I know that your professorial committments keep you busy these days. How is Colorado? Did you fly there or take the difficult Colorado river and rapid route using the 1807 Lewis and Clark maps and old birchbark fur trader canoes with native guides that I suggested? The former mode of transportation includes an inflight movie while the latter does not.

I understand what you are saying and think the privacy features included in the new forum will hopefully work for any members or forum visitors who have privacy issues.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Canadian Livingstone wrote: Glad to have you back where you belong. I know that your professorial committments keep you busy these days. How is Colorado? Did you fly there or take the difficult Colorado river and rapid route using the 1807 Lewis and Clark maps and old birchbark fur trader canoes with native guides that I suggested? The former mode of transportation includes an inflight movie while the latter does not.
I could not opt for the flight (too much stuff), but determined that neither could I fit everything in the birchbark canoe. So, I had to upgrade to a giant moving truck. But, we did use native guides (i.e., a GPS--what's more native than the earth itself?) as much a possible. No inflight movie, either! I think these trucks need an upgrade! ;)
Canadian Livingstone wrote:I understand what you are saying and think the privacy features included in the new forum will hopefully work for any members or forum visitors who have privacy issues.
Definitely hoping that this would bring more people to our forum who could discuss their families in private if they wish. I think, or hope, that it will turn out to be a net win for us all!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

Regarding bringing new people to forum the essential question becomes how to best acccomplish this goal. One of the articles that the Baron kindly submitted regarding the Gathering noted the lack of interest some scots have to participating in a clan related activities. Jill has essentially said the same thing to me. Thank God we have Jill. I honestly dont have the answer but I would really like to see more particpation from our Scottish kin. That will take time perhaps but possibly after the Clan Society becomes active organization with members from Scotland and throughout the Globe then "if we build it they will come" to misquote the movie Field of Dreams.

I understand why you would have opted for a moving van to get you safely to your new home in Colorado. The canoe I was to provide you with was a 250 year old birchbark canoe that probably was less than seaworthy I should think after all these years and the old 1807 Lewis and Clark maps on buffalo hide were quite brittle with age. I also was worried that you would not be familar with patching your canoe with pine sap. I suspect you have had little experience working with pine sap.

Most importantly I was concerned you might take a wrong turn and end up stuck in the Grand Canyon or something like that and that is one hell of a climb to the top and quite a ways from your destination. I am reasonably good with a canoe but I wouldnt want to attempt the Colorado River. Anyways you were probably wise to take the easy way home.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:I suspect you have had little experience working with pine sap.
Alas, you were right. I'm still getting it off my hands.
Canadian Livingstone wrote:Most importantly I was concerned you might take a wrong turn and end up stuck in the Grand Canyon or something like that and that is one hell of a climb to the top and quite a ways from your destination. I am reasonably good with a canoe but I wouldnt want to attempt the Colorado River. Anyways you were probably wise to take the easy way home.
I've done some big hikes, but none so big or as straight up as that. I'm glad we opted for the other route! 8-)

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

What have been your favourite hikes? Have you done any canoe trips? Iused to do alot of camping and canoeing before my leg got screwed up.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:What have been your favourite hikes? Have you done any canoe trips? Iused to do alot of camping and canoeing before my leg got screwed up.
Here, we've done the hike to Bear Lake, Nymph Lake, Dream Lake, and Emerald Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. Especially Emerald and Dream lakes are gorgeous! We've also hiked from various parts of Trail Ridge Road which is one of the highest paved roads in the country, with breathtaking views. We saw some elk up there which was fun.

We've also hiked around Boulder at Chattaqua and to the Royal Arch. That one was tough! A lot of hiking straight up and some quite rough trails with lots of rocks. It was quite beautiful at the end.

Most of the rest of my hiking has been in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine, with a few smaller hikes thrown in in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. But the mountains out here are a whole different beast! :)

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

No canoe trips yet.... we might do a rafting trip at some point. When I was a Dartmouth I did canoeing a lot on the Connecticut River, which was awesome. I wish it were as easy here,but I've only been here a month or so, so I may discover more chances soon!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA