New Livingstone Australia Tartan

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kyle MacLea

Re: New Livingstone Australia Tartan

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:I appreciate the Baron clarifying his position regarding the tartan issue as I was wondering what his feeling was regarding all these numerous other tartans out there that are referred to as Livingston tartans. i am not familiar with the rules and regulations regarding clan tartans as much as I should but it certainly stands to reason that as a clan society we should encourage Livingstons to embrace the tartan favoured by our Chief and his late father and probably his father before him.
I concur that it is good to understand the origins of all the (older) tartans for historical reasons. If we do so, we may discover some surprises over time. But regardless, the wishes of the Chief and the 'official' tartan(s) of the Clan are definitely good to encourage! Thereby, we can encourage greater clan unity and identity.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

Tartan is an interesting topic of discussion and perhaps worthy of its own topic area. There seems to be a sharp divide between those who feel strongly about their clan tartan and wear it with great pride and those who consider clan tartans to be based upon some sort of romantic nonsense. Certainly there are scholars out there who have looked have looked at the whole clan tartan issue with a great deal of scepticism and cynicism. I have been witness in the past to a few heated debates regarding clan tartans in general. All more reason I felt to try and learn more about the earliest tartan associated with Clan Livingstone.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:Tartan is an interesting topic of discussion and perhaps worthy of its own topic area.
Maybe we should do that. And we can create a "sticky" at the top with the Chief's official designations of the tartans and links to order them from Highland Clans?

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

I was admiring the picture of you and your wife. That looks like a professional picture. Was that one of your wedding photos? I guess that whole outfit you are wearing including the kilt would be quite expensive. We just have the Livingstone tartan 1003 tie and a Fraser tartan tie. My paternal grandmother was a Simpson so my Dad wheres both a Livingstone and Fraser tartan tie. His branch of the Simpsons were septs of one of the Fraser families.

regards,

Donald
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Donald,

Kyle & his lovely bride look wonderful in that photo but price is not an option when it comes to acquiring a quality Kilt. The Kilt needs to start as a budgeted expense. I once talked to a healthcare worker in a Pub south of Inverness and he explained how he put off buying a car for 2 years and rode his motorcycle year around because he has purchased a new Kilt (Inverness can get cold & damp). I did not ask if rode in the Kilt... I know people that collect stamps, coins, cars, but I'd rather collect Kilts, trews, and various highland attire.

Regards,

Jerry
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Donald, That was actually one of our professional pictures.... It is true by the way that kilts are expensive, but the quality of a true Scottish-made kilt is also very high. Worth the price, as long as you're willing to actually wear it now and then. I'm pulling mine out for the Long's Peak Games tomorrow. Should be fun!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Now there is all kinds of Livingston related items available through the store. Quite a selection actually. Someday when I can afford it I will go for the whole outfit kilt and all.
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:Hi all,
It was the confusing variety of tartans referred to as Livingston tartan on various tartan websites that led me to try and understand the origins of our highland tartan 1003 which I understood to be the oldest Livingston tartan and the one Baron Livingston wore. While i will never likely be an expert on clan tartans on the level of someone like Robert Bain i was interested in trying to discover the mysteries surounding what is likely our earliest tartan. I appreciate the Baron clarifying his position regarding the tartan issue as I was wondering what his feeling was regarding all these numerous other tartans out there that are referred to as Livingston tartans. i am not familiar with the rules and regulations regarding clan tartans as much as I should but it certainly stands to reason that as a clan society we should encourage Livingstons to embrace the tartan favoured by our Chief and his late father and probably his father before him.

regards,

Donald
It is a matter of respect. The respect shown to the Chief shows the strength of the Clan. I feel strongly about this. I personally don't know our Chief but what God has put forth I'm good with. It seems to me that changing the Tartan because you don't like the color is kind of like saying I get to change the Oregon flag on my block because I don't like beavers.)

This is a wonderful topic. There is a gathering (or there used to be. I should check on that as I've been working far away for the last couple of summers) here in Central Oregon. If I were to go, what does a woman wear?

I do have the "Universal Stuart" tartan kilt. I stumbled on it one day at the Goodwill brand new for $6.99. It is from Jedburgh Kiltmakers, Jedburgh, Scotland. Turns out it s something like $400 new from them. It was a size 12 and at the time I was a 24. My goal was to fit into that kilt. I am at a 16 now and can see that goal in sight!!! HOwever..if it' not appropriate I can manage. (Anyone know any Stuarts?).

Ginger
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Ginger,

Amazing what one can find in a thrift shop. That was indeed a lucky find.

I think that some of the others who attend highland games and clan events can better answer some of your questions such as Kyle, David and Jerry about what to wear. Jill Richmond is Scottish and has been to some recent highland clan events in Scotland this summer so she probably has some helpful insight. There was big gathering of Scottish clans this past summer in Edinburgh.

Our Chief is Baron Niall Livingston of Bachuil. Bachuil has been the ancestral home on the Isle of Lismore of the Barons of Bachuil for a very very long time. Baron Niall Livingston became the Baron of Bachuil after the passing of his father Alastair Livingston last year. There is information on our Maclea Livingston website on our Clan Chief's family the Bachuil Livingstones and other clan history related infomation you and your family might be interested in reading.

regards,

Donald
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:Hi Ginger,
There is information on our Maclea Livingston website on our Clan Chief's family the Bachuil Livingstones and other clan history related infomation you and your family might be interested in reading.

regards,

Donald
I've been happily partaking 8-)