Maps of Argyllshire and Scotland in General

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Canadian Livingstone

Maps of Argyllshire and Scotland in General

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi All,

A good map of Scotland is an handy tool for locating the towns and villages of your Maclea and Livingston ancestors. I use the Automobile Associations Regional Atlas of Scotland but it has been apparently out of print since 1985. If you really want to view some amazing maps of Scotland you should go to the National Library of Scotland site which features maps of Scotland from the 1500`s onward including a John Thomson map book from 1832 which features a detailed map of Argyll with a `Castle Bachil`on the Isle of Lismore that I thought was kinda interesting as you dont see the castle called by that name very often in recent times. A beautiful map.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Maps of Argyllshire and Scotland in General

Please note the Thomson map book was published in 1832 but the map apparently was drawn in 1824. Both dates are included on the library site.

regards.
Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Donald,

I agree that good maps are very handy for checking facts. Providing you can get them in Canada and the States, I would recommend Ordnance Survey maps. There is the Landranger series, scale one and a quarter inch to one mile, and the Explorer series, scale two and a half inches to one mile. They give a wealth of detail and I find them invaluable. The only thing that aggravates me about them is that they no longer give the names and boundaries of parishes. I am pretty certain the AA Regional Atlas of Scotland is out of print. I used to have one once upon a time, but it went the way of all flesh.

Regards,
Jill
Jill Richmond
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Further to the above posting, have just discovered that you can get digital maps from Ordnance Survey. http//leisure.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/products/digital-maps-for-personal-computer.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jill,

Yes ordinance survey maps are well detailed and I have used recent and 19th century maps in which to locate one of my ancestors farmhouse in the Carrickfergus area. Very helpful.
regards,

Donald