Kilfinan Churchyard Tombstone Photos

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kyle MacLea

Kilfinan Churchyard Tombstone Photos

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Dear Forum,

From the 1743 Account of McLea we have this quote:
there are some Surgeon's instruments drawn upon the Gravestones belonging to the McLea's of Lindsaig in the Kirkyard of Kelfinan upon the north side of the Kirk there
So, the McLeas of Lindsaig are buried in the church there and there were once these gravestones.

Do these gravestones still exist? Do photos or illustrations of them exist? Does anyone know what the surgeon's instruments referenced actually looked like?

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Kilfinan Churchyard Tombstone Photos

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,
The last Baron of Lindsaig was buried at Kilfinan it my memory serves me well. Dont suppose it would be one of his kin with that tombstone? It was likely an old tombstone in 1743 when Rev. Maclea wrote his Maclea history and it may no longer be there all these years later but worth checking out. Perhaps you could contact a local historian through the internet and perhaps they would be willing to check for the stone. If the stone is still standing which is unlikely I would think the information on the marker would be greatly worn with age.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

Your best bet to start is to go to the "Friends of Kilfinan Churchyard website" and contact Margaret Sullivan who belongs to this association and lives in Kilfinan. The site proudly displays some of the old stones in the churchyard dating from the 9th to 18th century. I did not see the one you are refering to but you could mention it to them. I am sure they would be interested in knowing if they do not already about the history of Lindsaig McLeas at that cemetery and that stone you are interested in locating.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:Your best bet to start is to go to the "Friends of Kilfinan Churchyard website" and contact Margaret Sullivan who belongs to this association and lives in Kilfinan. The site proudly displays some of the old stones in the churchyard dating from the 9th to 18th century. I did not see the one you are refering to but you could mention it to them. I am sure they would be interested in knowing if they do not already about the history of Lindsaig McLeas at that cemetery and that stone you are interested in locating.
Excellent idea, Donald! I will do that!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
craig

Post by craig »

Hi All,
Kyle emailed me this question about the Kilfinan Cemetery.
I visited the site in 2007, based on my likely connection to the Lindsaig McLeas. Looked very hard but could find no McLea gravestones. Did talk to the local historian who confirmed the historical presence of McLeas in the Linsaig/Kilfinan area. As many of you know the McLeas of Lindsaig were the last of the McLea landowners in the western highlands excepting Bachuill. The Lindsaig Estate of the McLeas was absorbed into the larger Otter Estate in the late 1700s.
There were McLeas in this area who were surgeons to the Lamonts. These are not the same McLeas as the Baron McLeas of Lindsaig.
Sent Kyle some pictures of the area. Hope he gets and posts.
Craig McClay Wilson
Canadian Livingstone

HI Craig,

Appreciate that info. I think alot of us wondered if the old Maclea family mentioned in the 1743 Maclea history of Reverend Maclea might be still found at Kilfinan Churchyard. As I mentioned to Kyle the Friends of Kilfinan Church have put together a nice web page that includes photos of some of old stones in the churchyard.

regards,

DOnald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi Craig, et al.,

I will post Craig's photos tonight, hopefully.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Here are Craig's photos.... let's see if this works!

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/copperm ... p?album=12

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle and Craig,

Beautiful presentation. I really enjoyed viewing these Maclea related photos Craig. Indeed those Maclea stones are probably under something somewhere there. Thanks for that Kyle.

Regards,

Donald