McLeys in the Parish of Dingwall Kirk Session records

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kyle MacLea

McLeys in the Parish of Dingwall Kirk Session records

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Some interesting "McLeys" in the Dingwall Session records:

http://books.google.com/books?id=IAodAA ... ey&f=false

Looks like this spelling was found in Inverness and Dingwall, mostly.

http://books.google.com/books?id=vBIXAA ... ey&f=false

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Re: McLeys in the Parish of Dingwall Kirk Session records

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

The DIngwall Macleas, Maclays are the old Contin Parish, Ross and Cromarty Mcleas I mentioned earlier that must of been recruited into the Earl of Cromartie's forces on the Jacobite side in the 1745 rebellion. Donald Macleay I think it was did some research in the 1990's on these Contin Parish McLeas that is quite interesting.

I noticed there was this one Thomas Mclea listed in Baron Alastair Livingston's book as a Jacobite but did not make the connection to all this in my mind until you asked me about other Macleas at Culloden. I am glad you asked the question because I had assumed that most Macleas outside of Argyll had gone with the Government or remained neutral during that rebellion. Duncan Forbes had persuaded a number of clans not to join the rebellion and that probably some smaller clans or septs. It seems a fact that then that besides the Western Argyll highland Macleas or Maconleas that served in the Appin Stewart regiment there was another of the Macleas from Cromarty and Rossshire area that apparently joined the Jacobite cause under the Earl of Cromarty. I did not realize that until today.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

McLey not surprising among these other Macleas. Mcleay/Macleay was a spelling I have found in later census records among these "other Mcleas" said to be connected to us long ago. It is unfortunately not noted among historians that Macleay was a spelling not favoured by Western Argyll highland Mcleas who later became highland Livingstones. A significant oversite.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I've gotten some info from a Clansman I met in Estes Park, Colorado, about his family.

It includes a number of ancestors with the surname MacLeay, from the Contin area.

I've sent him a lot of information about this Forum and the DNA Project, etc., and am hoping he comes by to have a look.

We've tested a Contin McLeay but would like to test some more and see how they relate!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com