Old Maps of Bute and Cowal

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kyle MacLea

Old Maps of Bute and Cowal

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi Forumeers,

Anyone know of a good old (17th-19th century) map of Bute and a similar map for Cowal? Could be an interactive website, or a good quality static map online... or some periodical (available in the US) in which to look one up?

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Old Maps of Bute and Cowal

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

May I suggest you try the National Library of Scotland. They have an excellent collection of Scottish maps. I have a great love for Antique maps so this was the place for me.I found an 1832 map of Argyllshire in the old Thompson Atlas. You may be able to find a Bute map somewhere here. Go to http://www.nls.uk/maps and then from there search this incredible map site for whatever map you are looking for in their amazing collection. Check John Thompson's 1832 Atlas of Scotland. Enjoy.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Thank you--I love the old maps too!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,
This site is amazing.
I think what you need are the Ordnance Survey Maps of Scotland. The National Library of Scotland site also has Ordnance Survey Maps of Scotland circa 1840's to 1940's and they should have some excellent detailed old maps of Bute.
http://www.nls.uk/collections/maps/subj ... urvey.html

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

You can even order printouts of these great maps in B&W or color, and they will send them to you. If it's less then 30 pounds, they'll even do it on an invoice rather than requiring payment in advance. Excellent!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA