Newsletter Software

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kyle MacLea

Newsletter Software

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Does anyone out there either know of free/cheap software for assembling newsletters?

If not free/cheap, would anyone consider donating such software to the Clan Society for our new Clan Society newsletter production?

Contact me if you have any ideas!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Newsletter Software

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

Baron Livingstone and the Clan Society could have a web based newsletter or an e-mail based newsletter that is sent out to a select group of e-mail addresses and there is software on line out there available to do both. I am however not familiar with the software or which is best. Many standard desktop publishing programs include a newsletter design feature

regards,

Donald
mickstone

Post by mickstone »

I publish a newsletter going to a volunteer organization. I make the newsletter available in word and pdf as most people have those programs and do not need specialized programs to look at the newsletters. PDF or Adobe also does not use a lot of memory so can download from the internet as a email attachment, or from a link easily. michael livingstone
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Thanks, Michael! Do you just compose in Word then, and save as a PDF? Your suggestions appreciated!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

That is a great idea. Word 2007 has a feature where you can send email as PDF attachment.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
mickstone

Post by mickstone »

I put the newsletter together using a template downloaded from microsoft word via the internet. They have quite a few choices Make a selection of a template that will work with your newsletter. Download it and put your newsletter together, once you are satisfied with it go to save as and save in the format you choose. Microsoft word 2007 will allow to save as .pdf which is can be viewed using adobe reader which is a free download from adobe and most people have that on their computer. Adobe is not a memory hog so it downloads quite fast even with a slow server. Using a specialized newsletter program usually requires the recipient to also have that program to read the newsletter and that can be a regular pain. Having said that I am sure some of them will convert to .pdf. However if you have word already on your computer then all the extras are free. If you want I can send you a copy of a newsletter and some information on using word to make a newsletter as a email. michael livingstone
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Michael, that would be great. I've used Word a lot (including to write my ~250 page thesis) but have never used these downloadable templates before. Would definitely like your tips! Thanks!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

I also have the full Office 2007 suite which includes Publisher 2007. In it, it has over 60 "newsletter" templates and can be published as a PDF as well. My thoughts are to save the newsletter in PDF format instead of "publishing to the web" where it will be an html format. storing a PDF would be easier to archive.

I can send a copy of my Office 2007 CD if whomever is putting the articles together would like to use Publisher or needs the ability to publish as a PDF.
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I have 2007 too, but didn't realize that Publisher was included. Perhaps I didn't install it.... :oops:

I think it might be easy enough for me to take articles from everyone, arrange it, convert to PDF, and then post/send. If anyone else has an interest in arranging newsletters, please let me know, though. I am always looking for helpers! (But I am completely fine doing this without help too--so no pressure implied or intended!)

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

I worked on a newsletter and paper but have no experience with the newsletter software or computerized layout. I would be happy to write a regular column and feature article from time to time. I have a few ideas that might be helpful

regards,

Donald