American Revolution research

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Jewel

American Revolution research

Post by Jewel »

Hello to all,

Just thought I would pass this along: DAR, the Daughters of the American Revolution have opened up their website to the public and is free to search their records.

I just took a quick look for the name Livingstone or Livingston. I didn't see any Livingstone's listed but there were quit a few Livingstons.

Duncan Livingston b. 1754 Scotland and died, 1782 Lancaster Pennsylvania. 7th Battalion Lancaster County, Pennsylvania

John Livingston b. 12/18/1764 Orangeburg,So. Carolina. died 12/11/1823 Newberry ,So. Carolina.

The website is: http://www.dar.org/library

Jewel
Kyle MacLea

Re: American Revolution research

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Thanks, Jewel!

There are no MacLeas in the list of files, but there are several Maclay documents and a Mcclay document. I checked all the usual names on the Gaelic side of things.

I also noticed a document on a Levingston family.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

I haven't looked yet but I know I will find a few relatives there. On Mom's side my GGGGF James Walker was one of the Green Mountain Boys and thee is also a relative on my Dad's, mothers side that she used to join the DAR. I'm sure there are more. :D
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Those of us whose families came here LONG after the Revolution seem to have a difficult time making any connections. My family is a good example.

My father's mother's side was here before the Revolution, but went back to England long before, then returned via Canada ~200 years later. Everyone else is a relative "newcomer" it appears. (But I have no idea how long my mother's family lived in French Canada.)

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel,

Thanks for that. The Revolutionary War is very interesting period of History and in the Carolinas there is an interesting Carolina connection to the Revolution with Flora MacDonald of Bonnie Prince Charlie fame. Many of the highlanders who were recent settlers to the Carolinas at the time of the Revolution odd as it may seem supported the British and the Loyalist side in the Revolution despite what had been done to many of their families and neighbours after the 1745 Rebellion. There may however have been some highland Livingstons that went with the rebel side, so we should not ignore that possibility. One family of the highland Livingstons from Argyllshire with North Carolina connections that we have recently been in contact with arrived in the 1790's after the Revolution.

Certainly the old New York Livingston family that had been in America since the late 1600's made their decision to support the Revolution. These were descendants of Robert Livingston of Livingston Manor, a Livingstons of Lowland Callendar Livingston family origin. Some of his descendants may well show up in the Daughter of the Revolution records seeing as their families played a prominent and supportive role in the Revolution. I think one of them signed the Declaration of Independence and others were in the government of New York State. The Livingstons and the VanRenselaers were two old and prominent New York colonial families that supported the Revolution.

regards,

Donald