Livingstone Book on eBay

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kyle MacLea

Livingstone Book on eBay

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Reprint of Livingstone book on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIVINGSTONE-BY-TIM ... 9008r12474

FYI.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Michael McKinley

Re: Livingstone Book on eBay

Post by Michael McKinley »

If multiple people are interested you might also look at Abe Books where quite a few are available.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... ne&x=0&y=0

Michael
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Good idea, Michael! I hadn't checked there!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

I am a great fan of Abes books as well. A great service connecting you with thousands of bookdealers worldwide with a great searchable feature to locate almost any book you are looking for including many rare and out of print books. I found numerous titles for Livingston related research on Lord Selkirk and his Red River Settlement in Manitoba, Canada just by doing a search, all of them used and most of them reasonably priced and ended up buying them all. As a result of Abes books and my previous purchases I have ended up with ridiculous number of books on Lord Selkirk and his Red River Settlement most of them from Abe's books.

regards,

Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

I was able to get a copy from Amazon (paperback). There is a splendid portrait of the good doctor on the front cover. Anyone wanting to research David Livingstone's antecedents will be disappointed as the book begins at the time when he was working in the mill in Blantyre. I have only got a little way into the book, but it is a good read. Thank you, Kyle, for letting all of us know about it.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jill,

A good book which Baron Livingstone reccomended to me some time ago, was R.J. Campbell's "Livingstone" published in 1929 in England and 1930 in America. I was fortunate to find a copy in an used book store here, but there are numerous copies of this book including the 1929 and 1930 editions available from Abes Books on line from used and Antiquarian Bookdealers around the world.The books covers all aspects of Dr. Livingstone including the early years and the various theories regarding his family origins that have been circulating since the 19th century. Well worth the trouble locating a copy. There is also an early biography written by William Garden Blaikie in the 1880's which is quite good. And of course Dr. Livingstone published an account of his experiences in Africa in the late 1850's with an unfortunately brief but interesting chapter on his family and early life. An original copy can be tad pricy but not unreasonable if you like old books. I also have a book with Stanley's published account of Livingston including the last letters that Dr. Livingstone wrote to his brother John Livingston of Listowel, Ontario, Canada one of which was brought back to England by Stanley from Africa. This letter helped to prove that Stanley had infact located Dr. Livingstone and that he was not perpetuating some sort of elaborate hoax. DR. Livingstone's brother John was able to authenticate the letter and backed Stanley in the face of some scepticism in Britain that Stanley had actually located the Doctor.
regards,

Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Thank you for that, Donald. I have made a note of of both the R.J. Campbell and George Blaikie biographies, and will have a look for them on Abe books after Christmas. I, too, have a copy of Livingstone's 'Missionary Travels', and also 'David Livingstone, his life and letters' by George Seaver published in 1957. Dr. Seaver was at one time Dean of Ossory and Rector of Kilkenny Cathedral in the Church of Ireland, and also served as an administrator in Central Africa. He also wrote books about Captain Scott and Edward Wilson of the Antarctic, and Albert Schweitzer.

Regards,
Jill
Jill Richmond