The Crest

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
beadmom

The Crest

Post by beadmom »

I can imagine this has been asked before but I can't find where.

In searching for the crest in color for a Christmas project I am coming across a lot of different "Livingston(e)/Maclea etc crests. The one that is supposedly the Livingston(e) that I see the most is somewhat similar to the forums but with a bearded man with a club and a snake and a different motto "Si je Puis".

Can this be clarified before I make some kind of mistake?

Oh and does anyone have the forum crest emblazoned? (This means in color correct?)

Thanks, Ginger
Canadian Livingstone

Re: The Crest

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Ginger,

Sorry I did not see your posting earlier. No you dont want to purchase a Livingston Crest with the motto Si Je Puis on it. That is the old Callendar Livingston Crest. What you probably want is the official crest of highland Clan Maclea Livingstone which contains a figure of our St. Molaug of the Isle of Lismore holding in his dexter hand his staff and in the other a cross crosslet. The motto is Cnoc Aingeil. May I suggest you go to our Clan website and click shopping which will take you to the Clan Livingstone Maclea On-line Store with a variety of interesting clan related merchandise with the official Maclea Livingstone crest. Some wonderful items there for Christmas I should think for the Livingstons in your family. Yes absolutely. Do not purchase the other crest. I made that mistake some years ago before I knew what a Maclea Livingstone was or that I was a Maclea Livingstone so don't feel bad. For years the Callendar Lowland Livingston Crest badge was the only one commercially available so I suspect more than a few highland Livingstones purchased them. We are now however blessed with a beautiful new crest badge made especially for our clan members and their kilts, in addition to a number of other nice items with the our official crest on them.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Emblazoned just means that the blazon (heraldic language) was transformed into a picture.

So, color is just as appropriate as all in silver for a crest (the part you see at the top left of our forum).

For the arms themselves, they are generally shown in color so you can note the correct metals and colors.

The only good color picture of the crest itself is the one shown on our clan webspace:

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/Achievement.htm

But I don't think it needs to be in color to be correct.

The Clan Webshop see: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=790
contains some great clan-related items, including the fine looking metal Clan Crest Badge. I would highly recommend it--and am hoping to get one myself this Christmas!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Thanks Kyle,

I am putting together the family history Donald, Jewel, You and many other have collected for me with the ancient tartan and the crest in a frame for my Livingston peeps...wanted t make sure I had the right one~

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Oh..and that is a fine metal badge... of course I WANT IT ALL... Like the stein, want a scarf, well again.. I WANT IT ALL I WANT IT ALL I WANT IT ALL!

PS.. it was -16 here this morning so I might be suffering from BRAIN FREEZE.

Ginger
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Yes--it was quite cold again here as well. I understand tonight we're expecting below zero Fahrenheit, plus wind chill. The dogs will NOT be pleased yet again. :)

And yes, I want it all, too!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Obviously two dedicated fans of Clan Maclea Livingston. Is it too late to get an order shipped before Christmas I wonder?

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I hope not--still hoping to get mine!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

My birthday is right after Christmas ...so if I don't get what I want... I get what I want!

Ginger