Newsletter Title

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kyle MacLea

Newsletter Title

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi all,

Anyone have any ideas for the title of our new Newsletter? No promises and no pressure, but if there are ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Newsletter Title

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,
Ok I think I have finished doing family histories.
How about the Bachuil Bugle or The Parnasssus? We could then encorporate the Parnassus flower with our masthead at the top of the front page. Very Striking I should think. The Parnassus is associated with Lismore and the clan and makes for an attractive and historic symbol for the newsletter. Something a little different than your typical newsletter name but grabs your attention.

The Parnassus Volume 1 January 2010 How does that sound?
If you like it I might be able to get someone to work on the design of the masthead encorporating a suitable typeface and point size of the masthead of your choosing and an illustration of a Parnassus flower from the Island of Lismore. Anyways something to think about.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:The Parnassus Volume 1 January 2010 How does that sound?
If you like it I might be able to get someone to work on the design of the masthead encorporating a suitable typeface and point size of the masthead of your choosing and an illustration of a Parnassus flower from the Island of Lismore. Anyways something to think about.
I love it! That is perfect--using our Clan Badge, but also being pronounceable (I thought of "The Cnoc" but thought folks would have trouble with that). The Parnassus really sounds lovely, and I think having a little illustration of a Parnassus flower would be perfect. I really like that, Donald!

I am open to font and point size--just something that looks good as a mast head! Wonderful. For me, this is game, set, and match. If someone else has an idea burning a hole in their pocket, please share. But I love this one already!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

We can fool around with other details of the front page layout once we have decided on the masthead design. The clan crest could be to one side of the masthead and the parnassus flower to the other side. Something like that.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

With Newsletter design you have to watch and make sure that all the elements are properly proportioned. Your Masthead cant be overwhelming in size nor can it be too small. And article captions and titles have to be sized in proportion with the masthead and the point size of the typed copy. We can do a mock up and get a sense of what final layout will look like. You have to descide about columns. How many you want on a page and their position on the page. I have some experience with design but that was a long time ago and well before computerized design, microsoft publisher that kind of thing, I will ask my wife for help. She has alot more knowledge of graphic design than I. I will see if she could help me with a mockup of a potential masthead.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

Terry Gilliam of Monthy Python has just come out with a new movie The imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus which stars the late Heath Ledger and other fine actors. We can still use the word Parnassis as it nothing to do the movie or this character just with the clan flower. Do you see any problems with that?

regards,

DOnald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,
There is already an established poetry magazine called Parnassus apparently. Damn. I dont know that we can use the title. I knew it was too good.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

Ok if we cant get permission for some reason to use The Parnassus then I have another idea.

The Crozier Volume 1 January 2009

The Crozier as a newsletter title ties into the staff of St. Molaug which figures so prominently in our clan history and was believed to have been source of healing powers. The staff is in itself a great ancient symbol of spirtual roots of the Clan and our current Chief is a cleric. Anyways try these ideas on the Baron and see if we can make either of them work.

I do like The Parnassus but The Crozier is not so bad. I dont think we can use The Parnassus if it is the name of an established journal.

Anyways I leave with these ideas.

regards,

Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Donald and Kyle: I think Parnassus is a brilliant name for the newsletter, and too good to pass over. I take your point about there being a poetry magazine called Parnassus, and I have been trying to find a way round this. It seems that the latin name for the Parnassus flower is Parnassia Asarifolia. I wonder if we could call the newsletter Parnassia?

Regards,
Jill
Jill Richmond
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Great minds think alike, Jill. I was also thinking Parnassia.

BUT--I think we could still use The Parnassus too. There probably aren't a huge number of readers of the other one outside of poetry circles. Similarly, outside of clan circles there will be few readers of ours. Books get duplicate titles all the time.

I was thinking we could just subtitle it. The Parnassus: Journal (or Newsletter) of the Clan MacLea (Livingstone) Society.

Just have the subtitle in small print below the larger name.

I think this should be fine. In fact, I notice they are actually called "Parnassus: Poetry in Review"...

We would have "The" Parnassus, and also subtitle to make the distinction clear.

I think we're back to a winner!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA