Newsletter Title

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Newsletter Title

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

When you think of it, it is just the name of a flower. I would assume anyone can use the name of a Flower like a Rose for example. The Parnassus is our clan flower. Perhaps no one can have exclusive right to the name of a flower. I think you are probably right. If any event they are unhappy they will issue us a warning, but it is as you say probably unlikely.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jill,

Thanks for the endorsement and suggestions out of our dilemna. I am hoping however as Kyle suggests that we can go ahead with Parnassus providing there are no objections and the Chief approves it. If we make it clear it is the Clan's flower hopefully and it is a non profit organization hopefully no one will have a problem with it outside of the clan. Obviously someone else likes the name Parnassus and that is ok hopefully. To me it is like using the name Rose. There must be several companies for example with name Rose. Actually the Parnassus flower blooms in several others countries around the world I noticed so I guess it not exclusive to the Isle of Lismore.

regards,

Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Kyle and Donald,

I agree that it is highly unlikely that we should have any problems over the use of Parnassus. I imagaine that the poetry review journal had Mount Parnassus in mind when they chose their title, whereas for us it is the flower which is important, and so we are talking about two different things. I think Parnassusis an excellent title for the newsletter, and I hope that you are able to go ahead and use it.

Regards,
Jill
Jill Richmond
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

I don't think there should be any problem by adding the subtitle.

I need to get my sister to sign on here. She's a graphic artist and I already talked with her on the tent and parade banners.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

She would be most welcome, Greg! Thanks for the additional vote of confidence!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Greg,Kyle and Jill,
That would be great if had some help from a graphic artist and with someone who has some knowledge and experience with computerized design. What I am suggesting to Kyle is that we come up with a few alternative mock ups of the front page with the masthead utlilzing different type styles, point sizes and location of Clan crest and image of Parnassus flower. I would like to see the flower encorporated with the title of the Newsletter: THe Parnassus. It is a striking five petal flower associated with the Clan and St. Molaug. The Clan Crest should remain prominent perhaps in its present position. We just have to balance the two size wise and visually so that it looks good. Can anyone draw a Parnassus flower? Wikipedia has info on the Parnassus flower and you can good idea of what it looks like.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All,

Volume 1 Spring 2010

The Parnassus
A Quarterly Newsletter of the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society

Perhaps something like this.

regards,

Donald
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

We should be able to find a picture of the flower on-line that we could use. That should be able to paste right into any Windows application and probably into an Apple application too. If you have a mock up, I could send it over to her for her suggestions. With her job, Christmas and what I have her doing right now, she won't get a chance to do anything on creating one herself untill sometime late next month.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Kyle, Donald and Greg,

I think I can let you have a picture of the Parnassus plant that grows in this country. The illustration is from The Concise British Flora in Colour by W. Keble Martin. The Rev. Keble Martin spent sixty years meticulously recording every wild plant in the British Isles. He describes the Grass of Parnassus as: flowers solitary; stamens 5, and 5 staminodes fringed with stalked glands. On wet moorlands, except S.W. flo. July-Sept. I will scan it onto my computer and let each of you have a copy. I look forward to seeing your mock ups Donald when they are ready.

Regards to you all,
Jill
Jill Richmond
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:The Parnassus
A Quarterly Newsletter of the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
I think that sounds good, Donald.

One caveat: I'm not sure I aspire to quarterly newsletters yet. I think twice a year is a good goal for the beginning, and then perhaps Quarterly later on? Thoughts?

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com