Nametags

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kyle MacLea

Nametags

Post by Kyle MacLea »

For participation at Highland games, we probably need to consider purchasing some official-looking nametags for officers and volunteers.

Anyone know of any good sources for cheap(er) nametags on the internet, preferably in the US? I've found a couple that seem pretty reasonable with no minimum, etc. But I don't know what the finished product would look like. Also, it might be easier to do a bunch together and use the same style, etc.

We could put our Clan Crest Badge on there, the name of the Society, as well as a name and Officer rank/volunteer.

This is not something that is urgent, because Games season is not for a few months (and we currently have no funds), but I'd like to consider doing this soon.

So, if anyone has any ideas to help me and the other Officers find good nametags, I would love to hear them!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Greg Livingston

Re: Nametags

Post by Greg Livingston »

Kyle,

I've been thinking about it this weekend while up in Estes. I will put together what I've thought about and post it for review. There are a couple places here in Denver that I've done a quick check on but will need to go back with an "official" design to get pricing. I'll have it ready to post by tomorrow evening.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Greg Livingston

Kyle,

Here is what I was thinking of for the Name Tags. The Clan Crest would be in white with black background instead of the black with white shown here. There are two versions here

1. Clan Officer

2. Volunteer

Each would be 2.5" wide by 1" tall. I have not yet gotten pricing here locally but I'm sure it wouldn't be a lot. Any place that can make trophies should be able to make these for us. Probably best to have them made locally to whoever it is for unless it gets shipped out with items needed for the Clan Tent.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Those look fantastic!

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

" (and we currently have no funds)"

Kyle,

How does the Clan fundraise?

1.Is it strictly donations?
2. Is the website monetized?
3. Can it be monetized or is it proprietary to Highland Clans?
4. Is it a priority/necessity or is it on an as needed basis and that's the we we like it?
5. Should this be another thread?

I know a fair amount about both monetizing and about fund raising both large and on a small scale project basis.

Ginger
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi Ginger,

Expect a reply by PM regarding the fundraising. We can chat further about that. Thanks Greg for getting the ball rolling on that too.

I think those nametags look excellent, exactly what I had in mind!

Thanks, Greg! You are a "go-getter" for sure!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

I think your name tags look fantastic, Greg! At present there is only myself this side of the pond, but I can see that the time will come when we shall need some over here. Maybe we can liaise over this when the time comes.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Greg Livingston

One other thought I had was that we could use a white background and black printing. Then we could send the file to whoever needs it, they would print it out and use in one of those plastic holders that you see at conventions. I've seen them at office supply companies such as Office Depot, Office Max and Staples. Not sure how many a person needs to purchase at one time but they can't be much.

If we use the plastic engraved style we might be able to include the tags when sending out the banners for games.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I really like the plastic engraved style if they're economical. But I also like the idea of others being able to print out as a template nametags in the same style for those convention-type badges. It would be a great way of recruiting additional folk for impromptu events where people are visiting games or events themselves. We could have two: one, white on black, for engraving, the other black on white, for printing. Or just one, if it's more trouble!

One other note about the nametags: I like those magnetic clasps if we can get them, so they don't mar anyone's clothing (or other options like that). For the main reason that Highland attire is expensive and I don't anyone (including myself) to damage their clothing.

Jerry emailed me as well and suggested that we not only provide templates for the nametags, as you suggest, but also provide a template in the same style for business-type cards that provide links to the Forum website, Clan webspace, etc. Email addresses for me or Jill (secretary@clanlivingstone when we get it set up, etc.). This could be customizable or just a stock business card. Then, he suggested he could throw some in his sporran when we goes to games, etc., and hand them out to interested parties. A very valuable thing, if you ask me!

Ginger and others had made some mock-ups before, which I really like--although I do really think we should try to use the same style and include the same crest badge, etc., so the website and forum match and give people confidence that the place they have ventured on the internet is the one they meant to go to.

So--nametag template: YES! business card for people to print out in same style: YES, PLEASE!

Kyle=

PS Love the banners as well.
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Kyle;

While I, really, like the idea of a BADGE. Does it have to be so 'stark'. I don't like the black. "Solemn". Isn't there a colour in the Crest that could be matched. I mean I'd like to see a more cheerful look. May I make a suggestion: to spell co-ordinator with the hyphen. I'll probably never have a badge, but I had to say what I thought. I hope you all won't mind my saying or I should say butting-in.

Regards;

Roberta