Nametags

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kyle MacLea

Re: Nametags

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Don't mind your input one bit, Roberta! Thanks for it.

It did occur to me that using green or red (both in the modern tartan) would also be good options, but certainly black is the most flexible in terms of matching.

My guess is the price is no different based on color, and in fact, could be made in different colors for different people according to their desires?

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Hi Roberta,

I was using the spelling that I had seen in the charter, etc. I, too, like the idea of Co-ordinator.

On the plastic badges, I agree it does look stark. I can ask what color options we have and if it will impact the pricing which I will have tomorrow. The probability is white on <color> so that the color we choose would be in the image and text. We can always have one for you that says Volunteer or Genealogy Committee :D

Kyle, <could be made in different colors for different people according to their desires?> or position in the Executive Committee, volunteer, Genealogy Committee or whatever committee? I'll also check on types of attachment to one's clothing that are available and how they affect the pricing. The template for priting would be a piece of cake. I'll have that available before the weekend, Saturday at the latest. Wait one. I'll have to stop into an office supply store to see what sizes they have for the holders and pricing before I do that. Don't want to have a 1 x 3 template for a 2 x 3 badge or the other way around. I'll also work on a business card form and have that ready with the correct sized inkjet paper indicated. I'll do two sizes, 8 1/2 x 11 for US and, I believe it's A4 for Scotland. Someone feel free to correct me on that if I'm wrong. If anyone has suggestions on what should be on there besides the web site, Kyle's future email (Commissione@clanlivingstone.info) along with the Clan Crest, please let me know.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

That sounds perfect....

I am double-checking with Niall on the email address, don't want to get that wrong.

Similarly, the rest of it sounds fine.

I'm okay with pretty much any true moniker people want below their names.

Donald: What do you want to call the Research Committee officially? I've been using that term, but it's clearly History and Genealogy research in particular, so any such name is fine by me.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I agree, let’s have some colour available. A 1003 background would make a nice option for a badge for some. I now some prefer not to wear tartan above the kilt but it could be worn with other apparel. I would hope we could have 2 or 3 authorized templates to choose from. I still think the black one as stark is it may be would fit in nicely at a black tie event to generate conversation.
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

It seems to me that we should have a corporate identity when planning the design of badges, banners, letter headings etc. By corporate identity I mean that everything should look if not the same, then similar: same use of colour, same typeface, and same clan crest. You might feel that this is boring, but after a while our identity will be instantly recognisable to the casual observer. Just my thought for the day!

Yes, A4 is the standard size for inkjet paper over here.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Greg Livingston

Jill, thank you for confirming my failing memory. ;) I agree with having everything matching; color, typeface and crest. I went with the simpler typeface for the badges due to size and the ability to read them. Also, our Chief needs to approve anything before we print it so I have sent initial banners to him for his approval and he just might have me change to the simple typeface for those too which is not a problem.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

My thought is with the plastic badges we might be stuck with design, etc. but the convention style plastic sheets that hold paper name tags gives us the flexibility to print out any style template we have on color printers etc.

Perhaps the Clan Crest places on top of our Tartan on the left side (like an opposite image of the white on black that is shown). This is just an example but the convention style holders will open up what we can have done. Just my thoughts. :)
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Definitely think we should have the same crest (the one above on the forum) on every badge, to keep things consistent. I also agree font and style within the badges should stay consistent. Not as worried about the banners, personally.

But I really want the executive committee and members to suggest--and volunteer--their preferences and strengths/skills. And then put those skills into action, as they and others can agree.

So, don't think I need to approve this stuff. Niall is certainly needed to approve the banners, but I think this nametag stuff can be arrived at by consensus. And I am happy to leave this consensus up to others--I know you will design something great.

Thanks!
Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Greg Livingston

Well, I'm frustrated. The plastic ones with either a pin or magnet aren't going to happen any time soon, and that's not because they can't do them. Here is what I received today in my email.
To get the nametag with the routed out logo and text will have a one time artwork conversion charge of $150. I also showed them the art and they are very concerned that they would be unable to keep the detail and that some of the lines would run together. Because of this they are encouraging sublimation, which would keep everything flat but still give the same appearance and maintain quality, it would be just as durable. They do say that if you would like we could still attempt to produce this, they would just be unable to guarantee their work.

Pricing for each with the routed out text and logo is, $13.25 with a pin-back, $17.00 with a magnetic back.

To go with the sublimation style, artwork conversion is $35.
Price each with a pinback is $13.50, with a magnetic back is $17.50
So, I went to the local office supply store to look for name tags. There were no small quantity packages, just the 50 or 100 packs and those were running upwards of $50 US. I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board on this one. The design is still good, I think, it's just how we get them done.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Sheesh! It's more expensive than I thought, Greg. Thanks for doing the legwork on this, as always.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA