Felt at home on Mull and Iona - ancient imprint?

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kay

Felt at home on Mull and Iona - ancient imprint?

Post by Kay »

All this DNA research is fascinating, but I feel a tad left out being a female of the species.
Possessing little or none of the powers of persuasion peculiar to my gender, I'm unlikely to get my two brothers to part with DNA.
However, I can testify to this sense of belonging that overwhelmed me when I set foot on Mull and Iona. I have only been once, but the experience springs fresh whenever I think of home. (Although my physical home is in England). I'd like to visit the Isle of Lismore one day.

This is probably just wishful thinking, but do you think there is a sense of belonging to a place that is handed down through the genes?

Well, if it's not - it's the most glorious place on the planet.

Cheery mahas to all Livingstones

Kay
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Felt at home on Mull and Iona - ancient imprint?

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kay,

I have only been to Scotland once myself, but know from that experience and from the photos I have seen of Western Argyllshire that our Livingston ancestors lived in an enchanted fairy tale world compared to the way we live now though many of them likely had a difficult life and would hardly have seen it like that. Culloden put to an end to the old world they once knew but one way or another I suppose had it not in after 1746 then one way or another eventually their feudal way of life would have come to end sooner or later. It is hard to stand in way of progress.

Still it is difficult not to romanticize about one's highland Scottish ancestors and many of those like myself living across the pond do so.The beauty of the highlands is not just in the landscape with its ruins and breaktaking vistas but in the people themselves who are friendly and welcoming.

I am the Clan Historian, descended from a highland Livington but not born a Livingston and I can tell you we welcome Livingtons and their related kin into this Clan Society equally and that ones gender is irrelevant in our modern clan society. The DNA test of course does require male paternal DNA which unfortunately exludes quite a few of us from being tested though one can sponsor a Livington or Mclea brother, father or Cousin as I did. I did a DNA test of our Livington family line with the help of a Livingston cousin because I am interested in my Livingston heritage but there are many interesting aspects of being a member of Clan Maclea Livington beyond just our DNA project. We are working on creating a full fledged Clan Society and hoping to bring in many new members. A Clan Society newsletter is also in the works. Clan related events may be organized in the future. We are quite excited and upbeat about all of this.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Still haven't been to Scotland myself--but I'm waiting for my own moment of belonging. It seems inevitable that I will find it magical... because the coast of New England speaks to me in much the same way as the photos of the Western Isles do.

Can't wait!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hello Kay,

I can sympathise with you over the lack of DNA proof as I am in much the same position. My father had two brothers, but he and they were the fathers of girls, and so the family line has died out. I agree that there does seem to be some ancient imprint at work, as whenever I visit Argyll I feel that I have come home.

Regards,

Jill
Jill Richmond
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Kay,

I think there is something to be said for Ancient imprinting. I went to Ireland and walked where my ancestors walked. I know this because where they lived was a giant castle (Cashel). At that time you either lived in the castle, worked at the castle, or sold your goods to the castle. There is one large road up to the castle. I felt so at home. It's not a big tourist place but strong in my heart. I loved everything about the whole town. My friend that goes to Ireland with me whenever we go was not to fond of the place. I really felt it was a genetic attraction.

Next year... Ballachulish!

Ginger