Clan Mementos

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kyle MacLea

Clan Mementos

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Clansmen,

Graham Livingstone from Australia, one of the Southeast Queensland Livingstones, has shared some photos of mementos in his family that have been handed down for generations:

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/copperm ... p?album=16

There is a dirk and the old clan crest badge of the lowland House, "Si Je Puis."

It appears that the dirk has the initials for Graham's ancestor, HUGH MCDIARMID LIVINGSTONE.

"H McD L" would be the initials, with the "c" raised to the top.

His ancestor Hugh, son of Ewen (Hugh), is the immigrant ancestor who moved from Argyll to Australia.

There is a tradition of these items coming from Dr. David Livingstone.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Clan Mementos

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,
That antique dirk and sheath is a very nice family hierloom to be sure. I saw a few years ago an antique highland sword for sale.
Does he have any idea when his Hugh Livingstone settled in Australia and where his family lived in Argyllshire before the ancestor left for Australia? The Hugh Livingston who was the brother of Donald Livingstone lived at Savary with him and had several sons some of whom may of had family that ended up in Australia. Some went to New York State and Ohio USA in the mid 1800's. I am wondering if any went to Australia around this time. Donald's brother Hugh born in the early 1700's likely had a son or grandson also named Hugh or Ewen I would imagine. Given that both the famous Donald Livingstone of Savary, Morvern and his brother Hugh are listed in 1779 as having several sons each I am thinking there is good chance that there Livingstone or Livingston descendants out there somewhere who have no idea they are descended from them. It is thus are challenge to try and find them and identify them. No easy task.

Interestingly while there is lots of accurate family tree info on Dr. Llivingstone's older brother John, I dont know what happened to the family of his brother Charles that lived I think in New York State or New England if I understood correctly.
I did try to follow up on this but recall I got nowhere and no one seems to be researching Rev. Charles Livingston. After he died I wonder what happened with his widow. Charles was in Africa for a while with Dr. Livingstone and I think he died in the 1860's. I will get out the old Livingstone biographies or the family tree and check that one out. I had the name of his wife and I thought they had a family but no one seems to be researching them. I will see what I do have. It has been ab while and I am a bit foggy on it. At some point I will check with David here and see if he has any ideas what happened to this family. I think it a mystery worth solving.
regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Definitely worth following up on Rev Charles, Donald!

I will try to post a bit about Graham's early ancestors when I get the chance. There's definitely no knowledge of a connection to Old Donald, but that doesn't mean it isn't there!

EDIT:

1 .EWEN ( Hugh)! LIVINGSTONE b. 1817 Swordle Chorrack Scotland.

He married Catherine McDiarmid Oct 1842 in Glenmore .b. 1819 in Morven Glenmore Scotland.

ii HUGH McDiarmid LIVINGSTONE b. 14 Nov 1854 Swordley Argyllshire Scotland; d. 18 May 1937 Kingaroy Qld Australia.
Emigrated 1879 to Australia on board “SS Lock Garry”

Graham descends from Hugh McD Livingstone, who is a son of Ewen (Hugh) in Swordle (Swordley, Svordle, etc.) in Ardnamurchan parish. We have not been able in previous searches to go back further than Ewen (Hugh).

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Livingstone Relations; Livingstone 2: David's Siblings - Compiled by Steve Wilson - last up-dated June 1, 2007

David Livingstone was one of seven children. Two died in infancy. His two sisters, Janet and Agnus, never married. The families below are all descended from his two brothers, John and Charles.

Charles Livingstone moved to the USA in 1839 to study at Oberlin College in Ohio, where he met and became engaged to Harriet Ingraham in 1846: in 1847 he entered Union Theological College in New York City. He was a Congregational preacher in Lakevile, New York, in Williston, Vermont and in Plympton, Mass. He became a naturalised American Citizen in 1856. He then accompanied his brother on the second journey to Africa, from 1858 to 1863 and was appointed British Consul to Fernando Po in 1864.

to be continued
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Children of Charles Livingstone and Harriet Cemantha Ingraham:
1852 March - Mary Agnus Massachusetts
1854 July - Charles Henry Mass.
1857 Feb. - Hattie J. Mass.
1873 Charles Sr. died.

Dec. 4, 1900, Harriet Livingstone d. Denver, Colorado and is buried in Fairmont Cemetery.

All are listed in U S Census Records: 1860, 1870, 1871 Hamilton, Lanarkshire, 1880 Androscoggin Co., Maine.
1890 Arapahoe Co., Colorado. Charles Henry never married.

Regards;

Roberta
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi All: Re: Livingstone/McDiarmids
I will begin a thread elsewhere, actually under Ancestral Search.

Kilbrandon and Kilchattan, Argyll.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta,

Thank-you for that. So that was his only son then and he had no children. So no use looking for descendants named Livingstone then. Well I guess I wont spend much time worrying about Charles. You just saved me alot of time and trouble. I shall attempt to restrain myself from overemphasizing your brilliance in this matter.

regards,

Donald