Finding an Argyll Farm

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Finding an Argyll Farm

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

I noticed a KilmichaelGlassary also known as Glassary and to the North West there is a Kilmartin parish in what they call mid Argyll on my Argyll Parish map and there is a mention of Kilmartin regarding the village you mentioned. Allan Begg wrote "Deserted Settlements of Glassary and Deserted Settlements of Kilmartin which may be of interest to anyone looking for a now obscure village in Mid Argyll.

regards,

Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Donald and Kyle.

My gt. gt. grandmother, Mary McGilp, came from the Kilmichael Glassary area. I would certainly be interested in the book by Allan Begg. Mary's family lived at Stronalbanich, and so far I have been unable to find it on a map, or even an approximation of the spelling. It may well have disappeared under forestry.

Kilmartin church has an rare collection of medieval burial slabs and crosses, including a ninth century standing cross. Next door is a small, but very interesting museum at Kilmartin House. There is a book, 'Kilmartin, Scotland's richest prehistoric landscape', which describes the landscape as having more archaeological monuments in a six mile radius than any other in Scotland. Dunadd is just down the road. It is a very interesting area.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jill,

That is interesting that you have ancestors that came from Kilmichael Glassary.You may be able to get a copy of these books from the Mid Argyll historical society perhaps. I would try contacting them. Apparently the author had access to cemetery records and other old records pertaining to Kilmichael Glassary and Kilmartin and is probably familiar with the history of the area.

regards,

Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Thanks for that, Donald. I will see if I can find a copy.

Jill
Jill Richmond