Clan Maclea/Livingstone and O'Neill connection?

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Clan Maclea/Livingstone and O'Neill connection?

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Steven,

Weve taken your ancestral line back for certain to the 1700's in Aberdour Parish,FIfeshire and it it would seem very likely that your connected to the Livingstones/Livingstons in the Aberdour Parish records that John and I are seeing in the 1600's. Where your lowland Livingstones/Livingstons lived before the 1660's I cant say for certain. Thats when the earliest parish entries began or at least the earliest surviving parish entries in your Aberdour Parish,Fifeshire. It is quite likely your Livingstones lived in Aberdour Parish before the 1660's but without any records or linkage to documented ancestors in the 1700's in Aberdour I can only speculate where they lived in the years and centuries before that. I would think your Livingstones lived either in Fifeshire prior to the 1600's or possibly neighbouring Stirlingshire which is as I mentioned just a few miles away. Whether there was a family connection with your Livingstones and the the aristocratic Earls of Linlithgo in West Lothian and the old Callendar,Stirlingshire Livingston family in the middle ages I really dont know. Probably not, but I have know way of knowing for certain. I am afraid there are limitations even to my family history/genealogy superpowers when trying to determine ancestral connections in the middle ages.

regards,

Donald
Steven Meyer

Post by Steven Meyer »

Thank you for all your research I know it was probably a lot of work and I really appreciate everything you've done!

Regards,

Steven
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Steven,

It's a pleasure to assist,

John
Canadian Livingstone

And to John, Roberta, Jewel and Jill a heartfelt thanks for your research contribution and for pointing us in the right direction in regards to Steven's great great grandfather in the U.S and in Scotland.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Steven,

Happy that we were all able to piece together your Livingstone ancestral line with some clarity. Livingstone genealogy is our speciality here.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Ah, yes, another happy ending. It was a pleasure to be of help.

Jewel
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

I don't know if many people realise this but Dr David's daughter Agnes married the son of a wealthy Edinburgh brewing family called Bruce and therefore took the surname Livingston-Bruce. They bought a massive estate in Nyasaland (now Malawi) called Magamero. It was beautiful country but venture after venture faled and the husband died. Agnes had no-one to tun to for help so contacted her distant cousin and Chief, Baron William, and asked for help. William decided to send out his brother Tom, but later changed his mind and went out himself.

He managed to transform the estate, breeding cattle resistant to the fly that killed most and even managed to grow cotton that didn't rot. He actually ended up winning prizes for the cotton.

The estate was doing very well when he was killed in an African rising when my father was only 3 months old.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Bachuil wrote:I don't know if many people realise this but Dr David's daughter Agnes married the son of a wealthy Edinburgh brewing family called Bruce and therefore took the surname Livingston-Bruce. They bought a massive estate in Nyasaland (now Malawi) called Magamero. It was beautiful country but venture after venture faled and the husband died. Agnes had no-one to tun to for help so contacted her distant cousin and Chief, Baron William, and asked for help. William decided to send out his brother Tom, but later changed his mind and went out himself.

He managed to transform the estate, breeding cattle resistant to the fly that killed most and even managed to grow cotton that didn't rot. He actually ended up winning prizes for the cotton.

The estate was doing very well when he was killed in an African rising when my father was only 3 months old.
Indeed, despite what the DNA project has found (that your line and that of Dr Livingstone are distinct), the history clearly tells us that the families felt themselves to be related. Since we all must remember that relatedness doesn't only travel in the direct male line, I have no doubt there is another connection in there somewhere, even if we can't (_yet_) prove it. I think this long historical linkage--your grandfather and the family of Dr David's sister--prove this beyond any real doubt.

I have long thought the loss of your grandfather (and at such a young age for your father!) is a very sad story. I saw the story related in some book I saw online recently and thought about getting a copy.

It is good to remind us of the long history of your family, Bachuil!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
LornaWall

Post by LornaWall »

Hi Steven

I believe I am distantly related to you and have read with interest all the posts regarding our family descended from James LIVINGSTON and Janet BROWN. I have been researching for over 30 years, on and off, and have documented proof of most of my direct ancestral findings.

OPR MARRIAGE: 15 Jan 1763 Aberdour, Fife
Contracted James LIVINGSTON and Janet BROWN proclaimed pro uno Jan 15th, pro 2nd Jan 23rd, pro 3rd Jan 30th and afterwards married.

Like you, I am descended from James and Janet, via their eldest son John who married Anne/Agnes BLAKE/BLACK who were married on 14 Apr 1789 at Aberdour, Fife.

OPR Marriage: 28 May 1789 Aberdour, Fife
John LIVINSTON and Anne BLAIK produced lines of irregular marriage dated Edinburgh 14 Apr are here placed as married

Anne was born on 16 Mar 1770 at Aberdour, Fife daughter of James BLAKE and Agnes HERON who were married on 30 June 1764 at Aberdour, Fife. Anne died before 1841 as John is shown as a widower aged about 75 on the 1841 Census detailed below living with his son James and daughter in law Janet. Interestingly, he is noted as being John Senior as his son John, detailed as Junior, was living next door.

1841 Census: Wester Village, South Side, Aberdour, Fife Born in County
John Livingston (Sen) M 75 Linen Weaver Yes
James Livingston M 50 Agricultural Labourer Yes
Janet Livingston F 40 Yes
Christian Rennie F 20 Yes

We are both descended from John and Anne's youngest son Hugh LIVINGSTON and below is a brief summary of his life.

vi. Hugh LIVINGSTON, our 3 x great grandfather, born 16 Oct 1804 at Aberdour, Fife son of John LIVINGSTON and Anne BLAKE. He worked as a Granite Quarrier. Hugh was married twice: he married first our 3 x great grandmother Cecilia HENDERSON on 18 Nov 1825 at Aberdour, Fife. Cecilia was born 8 Nov 1806 at Aberdour, Fife, a twin with Janet, daughters of James HENDERSON and Elisabeth MOODIE who were married on 5 Sep 1806 at Edinburgh, Midlothian. Sadly Cecilia died on 20 Nov 1841 at just 35 years old. She was buried on 23 Nov 1841 in the New Church Yard, Aberdour. Hugh married second Martha Conoly BROWN on 30 Oct 1843 at Aberdour, Fife. Martha was born 7 Dec 1821 at Crail, Fife, daughter of Alexander BROWN and Janet FOWLER who were married on 7 Nov 1818 at St Andrews & St Leonards, Fife. Hugh died on 3 July 1886 at Kelvin Parish, Glasgow, Lanarkshire age 75 and below are the details on his death certificate. After Hugh died Martha emigrated to New York with her widowed son Alexander and his two young daughters, Catherine and Martha. Martha Conoly BROWN died on 29 Aug 1898 at Corona, Long Island, New York, USA age 76.

OPR Marriage: 25 Nov 1825 Aberdour, Fife
Contracted Hugh LIVINGSTON, Labourer and Cecilia HENDERSON both in this Parish and after regular proclamation were married 25 current by Rev Adam Paterson, Kinghorn

3 July 1880 Hugh LIVINGSTON Formerly Stone Quarrier 75 yrs
161 Henderson Street Married to: (1) Cecilia HENDERSON (2) Martha BROWN
Glasgow (Kelvin District) Father: John LIVINGSTON Weaver (decd)
Mother: Agnes LIVINGSTON m.s. BLAKE (decd)
Cause of Death: Acute Bronchitis cert by Robert Moran, Surgeon
Informant: Alexander Livingston, son

I then descend from Hugh and Cecilia's eldest daughter Elizabeth LIVINGSTONE who married Thomas WEBSTER on 4 Dec 1848 at Aberdour, Fife with the banns also being called at Mid Calder, Midlothian on 30 Nov 1848.

I believe you descend from Hugh and Cecilia's son James:

v. James LIVINGSTONE born 14 Nov 1833 at Aberdour, Fife son of HUGH LIVINGSTON and Cecilia HENDERSON. He married Margaret HASTIE on 10 July 1857 at Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire. Margaret was born daughter of William HASTIE, Ploughman and Catherine PATERSON. She married first Andrew FORREST on 22 June 1855 at Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire with the banns also being called at Carluke, Lanarkshire. She died on 1 July 1887 at 195 Stewarton Street, Wishaw aged 52. James and Margaret show in the 1871 Census at 139 Kirk Road, Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire with their ever growing family. Ten years later their eldest daughter Cecilia has flown the nest as has Margaret and Elizabeth. In their place are two sons James 9 and Robert 6. Sadly their youngest daughter Agnes died of meningitis aged 15 months. In the 1891 Census daughter Eliza rejoins her widowed father as housekeeper looking after her three younger brothers William 21, James 19 and Robert 16. By the 1901 Census James aged 65 and his son William 31 are still being looked after by Elizabeth aged 36. Below are the details on Margaret’s death certificate; having difficulty finding James’s.

1 July 1887 Margaret LIVINGSTONE age 52
195 Stewarton Street Married to James Livingstone, Furnace Keeper
WISHAW Father: William Hastie, Ploughman (decd)
Lanarkshire Mother: Catherine Hastie m.s. Paterson
Cause of death: Pleurisy with effusion 6 months cert by John Wright MD
Informant: James Livingstone, Widower, present

The information I have of your next ancestor James is brief, but may be of some interest.

ix. James LIVINGSTON born 5 Oct 1871 at 37 Kirk Road, Wishaw, Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire son of James LIVINGSTONE and Margaret HASTIE. He shows on the 1881 Census age 9 and a scholar and in the 1891 Census aged 19 working as a Carter. He married Catherine STEWART on 20 Aug 1895 at Cambusnethan Parish Church Hall, Wishaw, Lanarkshire. Catherine was born about 1873 daughter of Robert STEWART and Marion SMITH.

Birth: 6 Oct 1871 James LIVINGSTON
37 Kirk Road Father: James LIVINGSTON Furnace Keeper
WISHAW Mother: Margaret LIVINGSTON ms HASTIE
Cambusnethan Married: 14 July 1857 Cambusnethan
Lanarkshire Informant: James Livingston, father (present)

1881 Census: 139 Kirk Road, Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire
James Livingstone Head M 46 Lab in Iron Works Aberdour, Fife
Margaret Livingstone Wife M 46 Cambusnethan, Lnrks
Hugh Livingstone Son U 20 Joiner Cambusnethan, Lnrks
Janet Livingstone Dau 14 Cambusnethan, Lnrks
William Livingstone Son 11 Scholar Cambusnethan, Lnrks
James Livingstone Son 9 Scholar Cambusnethan, Lnrks
Robert Livingstone Son 6 Scholar Cambusnethan, Lnrks

1891 Census: 195 Stewarton Street, Wishaw, Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire
James Livingstone Head W 55 Furnaceman Aberdour, Fife
Eliza Livingstone Dau U 26 Housekeeper Cambusnethan, Lnrks
William Livingstone Son 21 Joiner Cambusnethan, Lnrks
James Livingstone Son 19 Carter Cambusnethan, Lnrks
Robert Livingstone Son 16 Joiner Cambusnethan, Lnrks

1901 Census: 321 Kirk Road, Wishaw, Lanarkshire
James Livingstone Head W 65 Furnace Lab Aberdour, Fife
Elizabeth Livingstone Dau U 36 House Duties Wishaw, Lnrks
William Livingstone Son U 31 Joiner Journeyman Wishaw, Lnrks

Marriage: 20 Aug 1895 at Cambusnethan Parish Church Hall, Wishaw, Lanarkshire
James LIVINGSTONE Carter Bachelor age 24 of 321 Kirk Road, Wishaw
Father: James LIVINGSTONE Blast Furnace Keeper Mother: Margaret LIVINGSTONE ms HASTIE
Catherine STEWART Domestic Servant Spinster age 22 of British Linen Bank House, Wishaw
Father: Robert STEWART Colliery Engine Keeper Mother: Marion STEWART ms SMITH
Signed: Alexander Harper, Minister Witnesses: William Livingstone & Maggie Stewart

I have a lot more detail on the various branches of the family and if it would be of interest I would be happy to share it with you by some other means.

Regards
Lorna Wallace
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Lorna,
Welcome to the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society Forum. Steven as I recall was trying to establish his Livingston ancestor Jame Livingston's ancestral connection to Dr. David Livingstone. We traced the Livingston ancestry of James Livingston born 1871 to an old Fifeshire LIvingston family which you are obviously familiar with and related to, but not to Dr. Livingstone's Argyllshire or Lanarkshire family. I do not believe that there is a connection between the old FIfeshire Livingston families and that of Dr. Livingstone at least from the information I have seen. In Steven's family however there must of have been a old story that his Livingston kin were related in some way to Dr. Livingstone. It was however interesting to see how his ancestor James Livingston born 1871 who later came to AMerica was connected to the old lowland Fifeshire Livingstons as we looked through the old scottish census and parish records. Also it is interesting that you and Steven are both connected to these Fifeshire Livingstons. And thank-you for taking the time to share with the Society your detailed Livingston family research.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian Clan Maclea Livingstone Society