Vancouver BC Highland Games

Public Forum for discussion or comments on Gatherings around the world. This could include Clan gatherings or other Scottish or Highland festivals.
Forum rules
Any Clan, Scottish, or Highland Gathering can be discussed here.
livingstoneancestry

Vancouver BC Highland Games

Post by livingstoneancestry »

Vancouver BC Highland Games are almost here.

They are being held in Coquitlam, BC (near Vancouver) at the Percy Perry Stadium on Saturday June 25th 2011

http://www.bchighlandgames.com/

Working on finishing everything that I need to take with me. Have the day off from work tomorrow so I can leave for Canada in the mid morning. Its about a 3.5 hr drive for us. We live just south a little from Seattle. Started packing the car a little bit ago. Table and lawn type chairs.

Really hoping the weather holds up but it doesnt sound very promising. So we'll see. Dont really want to get all wet.

Suzanne
Roberta Ann

Re: Vancouver BC Highland Games

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Suzanne;

I don't believe you'll ever be "all wet". I hope you have a safe trip and that you meet lots of Livingston/e descendents of Cape Breton and its' environs. Above all, though, enjoy yourself. Sadly; Scotch is more expensive in Canada.

Regards;

Roberta
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

We are so looking forward to hearing how it went. Good luck and have fun!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Good Luck Suzanne! I hope that you have a great time at the Games tomorrow, and that you meet many Livingston(e)s and MacLeas. Like all the others, I will look forward to hearing about it.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Have fun, Suzanne!! Even if it does rain, you will enjoy the time there. You will meet a lot of new friends from the other clans and they will be happy to help you make your tent better for the next time.

Don't be suprised if someone from XMarkstheScot.com stops by and says hi. They all know me there and I try to let them know when and where someone will be hosting a tent.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
livingstoneancestry

Hi All.

We're up in Canada at the hotel. Tried to find a hotel with the free breakfast and decent rate but its a little further from the park where the event is. After we got into town today, we went to check a shop with tartans and other scottish import items. couldnt get to the 2nd shop I wanted in time. Then we went over to find the event area and make sure we knew how to get there. Then back to the hotel

On the way back to the hotel, thanks to multiple construction zones and Friday rush hour traffice (which SUCKS by the way), it took 90 minutes to get 3 miles (and no I'm not joking).

Suzanne
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Suzanne,

Sorry to hear about the traffic problems but hope you have a good time at the event and in Vancouver generally. Vancouver Island is also an amazing place to visit if you have some additional time to explore the Island and its beaches and beautiful forest scenery. My grandmother lived on Vancouver Island for many years and loved the mild winters.

I had some luck recently identifying another Livingstone family that settled in Lanark County, Ontario in 1821 as being connected to one of 3 sons of a Donald Livingston and Christian Beaton of Lettermore, Kilninian Parish Mull Scotland who came to Lanark County, Ontario in 1820/1821. Dr. Livingstone's brother believed that these brothers were cousins of his probably because they originated in Lettermore where grandparent's eldest children wer born, though I am not convinced because of their probable birthdate that Donald an Christian Livingstone of Lettermore, Mull are his Uncle an Aunt. That being said I have spent alot of time researching this family and am continuing to research the possible family connection to Dr. Livingstone. We are of course in a position now that with a DNA test of any proven Livingston male descendant of Donald Livingston and Christian Beaton and their three sons we could soon prove or disprove a family connection. So something the Society should look at is trying to find a descendant of this other Lanark County, Ontario family for testing to see if the two families were related.

Hope the weather is good for you as it is often is rainy in Vancouver.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
livingstoneancestry

Hi All

Back from Canada almost 2 hours ago. Weather was something else. 30% chance of rain turned into 80% chance. Rained most of the morning of the event and parts of the afternoon. From talking to a couple of people at the event (who have been involved for 15 and 20 years) this is the 1st year its rained on the day of the event. Its rained the day before or the day after but never the day of. They were also telling me that there was a substantial decrease in the # of people present, most likely due to the weather

There were 7 other clans present (total of 8 including us): MacLeod, MacLean, Sinclair, MacLaren, MacRea, MacMurray and MacKenzie (hopefully those are all spelled correctly). MacLean is Oregon based and attends some of the Oregon and WA events. MacLaren isnt too far from me, north of Seattle. The person at this tent told me at the Enumclaw (Pacific NW Highland Games) next month there are on average 60-80 clan tents. If we have anyone going to the Portland Highland Games, there will be 20 clan tents at least so far

We actually didnt have too many people stop by our tent unfortunately. If they did, they were looking at a couple of items I had set out including the tea towels (mini scottish dictionary and clan map of scotland) and a few books. None were relatives to us unfortunately

Hoping to upload some pictures later today

Donald, thanks for the update on the Lanark Ontario Livingstones. I know I've been told we're related to Dr David Livingstone but unfortunately my great aunt who supposedly made the connection never handed the info down, so I'm now too sure how she came up with the connection or how accurate it was

Suzanne
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi everyone,

I would like to draw attention to Suzanne's photo gallery from the 2011 Vancouver event!

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/copperm ... p?album=27

Some beautiful shots, and they really give us a feel for the (rainy but nice) environs.

Thanks so much to you and your family for doing this, Suzanne! Your work on getting that tent together on short notice are appreciated the world over by your clansmen--also please thank your friend(s) who helped you get everything on that banner put together--looks great!

Many thanks,
Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Suzanne,

I've really enjoyed looking at your photos. Thank you for letting us see them. You have certainly done a great job putting everything together for your clan tent, and I do hope that you enjoyed your day in spite of the wet weather. I think your next venue is just outside Seattle, and I look forward to hearing about it in due course.

Regards,

Jill
Jill Richmond