James Livingston

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: James Livingston

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Debbie,

ONly one Malcolm McMillan born abt. 1861 residing in Toronto in 1911. So dont know where to find this brother Malcolm in 1910.

regards,

Donald
Matheson

Post by Matheson »

Hi,
I have been reading through the threads of this email exchange and would like to provide some info I have regarding the Livingstone's and other families that left Mull for South Australia in the 1840s on wards.
Firstly I found a record that indicates a Cristy Livingstone Born at Sheabach Ross of Mull, 29 Oct 1809, daughter of Angus Livingstone born Sheabach 1775 (son of Neil ) and Margret Hall; married Peter McArthur (born Iona in 1827) they had two children Ann 1829 & John 1831 .Cirsty died and Peter remarried 1833 5 more children remarried again 1842 5 more children They all emigrated to Mt Gambier South Australia in 1852.
I am related to Cirsty Livingstone's brother Duncan ( born Sheabach 1812) who emigrated with his wife and 6 children to Mt Gambier in 1850.
I am not sure of the link between the Neil of Colonsay and the Neil and his two sons Angus and Donald, shown living at Sheabach on the 1779 Ross of Mull Census.
Regards
Wayne
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Wayne,

Good to hear from you Wayne.

I have quite a lot of info on the Livingstone family, all of which has been confirmed by http://www.scotsfamily.com, I'm descended from Cirstys brother John, who was born 1805 at Kilpatrick, Mull, & died 1858 at Kilmeny, Islay.

If you have a look on this site, under the heading Angus livingstone & Margaret (Hall/McPhail), you will find a fair bit of this info available, including det it may not all be 100% accurate, there are a couple of small things I have doubts about, but the majority of it is, although it's still an ongoing task at present. There is also detailed info on Peter & Cirsty included.

Any info you can supply on Duncan will be gratefully accepted.

John left Mull & moved to West Lothian, then to Uragaig, Colonsay, then finally to Islay.

Duncan was one of the ones who disappeared, I didn't spend lot of time looking for him, but I certainly could find no clue as to where he had disappeared to, a couple of his sisters also vanished.

John
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Wayne,
No doubt you and John are descended from Angus Livingston and Margaret Hall of Uragaig, Colonsay and prior to that Shiaba, in nearby Ross of Mull. Actually moved around Ross of Mull but did live early on at Shiaba as did his brother Donald and I would assume they are the Angus and Donald recorded in the 1779 Argyll County Census as being as being sons of Neil Livingston of Shiaba, Ross of Mull.
Welcome to the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society Forum. John and others have been trying to sort out these Colonsay Livingstons who were pretty certain as you mentioned originated from Shiaba or Shebach, Ross of Mull. If our understanding is correct your ancestor Angus Livingston who appears in the 1841 Census at Urigaig or Uragaig, Colonsay prior to this time resided in Ross of Mull where a Donald Livingston also resided believed to be a brother of old Angus. Old Donald who was married to Christy Campbell remained at Ross of Mull but his children settled in Ontario Canada in the 1850's or 1860's. I am in touch with a descendant of Donald and Christy.

I think that John and I suspected the possibility that some of ANgus Livingstons lost family settled in Australia and you have confirmed that. We appreciate any information that you have from Australia on Duncan.

regards,

Donald
deblivingstone

Post by deblivingstone »

Hello everyone!

I've been following the postings and I've been going through my notes and I want to put in a couple of thoughts & questions.
According to a document prepared by a granddaughter of James Livingston, James had a brother Hugh in Scotland. Is this the Hugh who married Jane Cameron?
Next, I'm looking at Livingstons living in Charlevoix, Michigan. James Livingston's son Donald Livingston also known as Dan in some references along with his wife Susan Whitley and family were living there for quite a while. The whole family moved back to Ontario with the exception of son Lawrence Elwood Livingston who had remained there, married, had a family and died in Charlevoix.
There was another Livingston family, Daniel G. Livingston(born Apr 10, 1870 Grey Co., Ontario) and wife Anna Lang & daughter Gladys Livingston living in Charlevoix, Michigan. Daniel G. died in 1911 and the informant on the death certificate was Lawrence F. Livingston. I wonder if this Lawrence F. is the same person as Lawrence Elwood, son of Donald Livingston & Susan Whitley. I have a copy of the 1881 Census of the family of James Livingston & Mary McMillan living in Arthur Tp, Wellington Co., Ontario. All the children are accounted for with an additional 3 that are in the census but I know aren't children of James & Mary. One of these 3 is a Donald Livingston, age 9. Now, is this child Donald the same person as Daniel G. Livingston who died in Charlevoix in 1911 age 40 that Lawrence Livingston was informant? Parents were unknown according to death certificate.
There was a Duncan Livingston in Charlevoix, Mi, son of Hugh Livingston & Jane Cameron. Is this the Hugh who was son of Angus Livingston & Miss McPhail? Is this the Hugh who was brother to James Livingston? I can't help wondering about possible connections to the Livingstons in Charlevoix. One might have moved there if they had relatives there?
Anyone have any thoughts?

Regards,
Deb
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Deb,

Thanks for the update. Do you know the approximate birth date of Duncan Livingston of Charlevoix, Michigan son of Hugh Livingston and Jane Cameron? I will check John Livingston of Scotland our Angus and Margaret Livingston of Ross of Mull and later neighbouring Colonsay expert on the Hugh Livingston you mentioned. He has all the known details regarding ANgus Livingstons son Hugh. Regarding the family tree DNA results did you recently get any recent information that there was another relatively close match to John Michael Livingston by any chance at the 67 marker level? It is not the Hugh Livingston who was a son of Angus Livingston's brother Donald since he married a Margaret McQuarrie.

regards,

Donald
deblivingstone

Post by deblivingstone »

Donald,

Duncan Livingstone's marriage registration is as follows: Duncan Livingstone b. 1861 Scotland, son of Hugh Livingston and Jane Cameron, married June 5, 1901 Charlevoix, Michigan to Ida May Cook b. 1882 Michigan. This couple had children: Florence C., Sarah Aliche, Donald, Elmer D., Margaret Leita, Virginia M., Norman Richard, & Lois Livingston. Duncan died in 1945.

Deb
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Deb/Donald,

The only Hugh I can find, who married a Jane Cameron, probably originated from Dalgetty Bay, Fife area.

Hugh, son of Angus & Margaret, was married to Jean Shannon, he was resident in Glasgow until at least 1861 census, then disappeared.

I'm still far from convinced what relation James is to Angus & Margaret, I'm sure he is a close relative, probably a nephew, but not their son.

Until a few weeks ago, I would almost have bet on being unable to find any further info on the family, then within about two weeks, info on a daughter of Angus & Margaret, Jane/Jean, was found, & info on the military service of Angus also turned up. So, there' always a chance someone will come up with info on James eventually,

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Thanks for that John. I remember we discussed Hugh and his wife some time back. I remember now that you found records that the wife's last name was Shannon. Doesnt look like the Charlevoix Michigan Duncan Livingston born abt. 1860 was connected to Angus Livingston's son Hugh. I searched all over the place for Duncan in the Scottish census records of 1861 and 1871 and could not this one. Then I noticed two conflicting USA arrival dates. One stated 1880 while the other stated 1870. Couldnt find a Duncan Livingston born October 1860 in the original Scottish parish records that would have stated exactly where he was born and who his parents were. His marriage record as Debby notes is the apparent source of information regarding the fac tthat his parents were Hugh Livingston and Jane Cameron.

By the way have you seen the latest results for our Parker Livingstone Group with Keith's most recent results? What is the genetic distance at 67 markers to your results? It may be time to see if a descendant of Angus Livingston's brother Donald born abt. 1775 or 1776 on Ross of Mull who was married to Christie Campbell can be found to participate in the project. Most of Donald's sons left Ross of Mull by the 1840's or early 1850's for Grey County, Ontario Canada. Ross of Mull around this time I think was greatly affected by clearances. Some time ago I in touch with a Livingston family historian whose husband is a descendant of this Donald Livingston and they might be interested helping to resolve this Ross of Mull Livingston family mystery. A fourth participant from this other Ross O Mull Livingston family might show a connection in the dna results. Worth a try anyways.

regards,
Donald
hegartytab

Post by hegartytab »

Hi Roberta,

We are fairly close cousins. Thanks to my grandmother, Margaret Livingstone Hegarty, I have photos of your gg gf Thomas Livingstone and his father, your ggg gf Laughlin Livingstone. The photos are from circa 1878 and 1884. How can we communicate? my email is: hegartytab "at" aol "dot" com
Last edited by Jerry on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: User supplied personal email address, just changing email address so they do not receive auto spam.