Questions about Kilts

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
D.W.Livingston

Questions about Kilts

Post by D.W.Livingston »

I know this is not Clan specific but when I think of the best place to ask, the forum seems to have the best all around answers.

So first, my Fiancee and I are looking to get married next year. Her idea is to get married at the Scottish Highland Games and Celtic Festival (which means in November of 2015). No matter when we do it, I wish to wear a formal Prince Charles with vest. My questions are this:

1.) How close to the wedding should I order the Kilt?
I'm a bit chunky in the middle and want to work on that so I don't want to get a Kilt that fits now but won't by then. But I want to have it in hand at least a month before the wedding date so I don't get stressed (and neither does the bride-to-be). How long does it take to make? I've heard at least 2 - 3 months.

2.) With a Wedding in November we want to hold off on our Honeymoon until the weather is nice in Ireland/Scotland... We want to do at least a 2 week trip (one week in Ireland and one week in Scotland) I heard that August is the best time to see Scotland due to festivals, etc. but was wondering other people's opinions? Is May a good time? July getting to humid? what is everyone's opinion?
- Also what are some must sees if we only have a week in each country? Isle of Lismore, Sterling, and Edinburgh are musts for me... Culloden would be high on the nice to get to. For Ireland, I have no idea. Her ancestry comes from the county of Armagh

Thanks everyone.
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Kyle MacLea

Re: Questions about Kilts

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Congrats, David!

I think it took 3 months for my kilt to come in before my wedding. It can vary of course. If I were you I would get the order in at least 6 months prior. And I would make sure they stock the tartan of your choice first. If they don't, additional lead time may be necessary to get it woven!

Kyle
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Kaye Saunders

Post by Kaye Saunders »

Congratulations David - sounds like a great day for you and your fiancee to get married.

You may like to go the really old fashioned way of wearing a plaid - as Jamie does in "Outlander" - you just self pleat it and then roll yourself into it :D . I believe it takes a lot of agility and practice.

I am supposing there would be several stores in the States that would cater for making kilts so I won't comment on that.

As to when to visit Scotland - I tend to go in August/September - I love the fringe festival in Edinburgh - but that is a matter of your own preference of course. Last time I went was at that time and after spending a week in New Register House researching I spent another week driving about the country. Let me tell you it can certainly rain in August too - but we are talking about Scotland and the rain is what makes a lot of the scenery so beautiful. I stayed in B&B's when I was out of Edinburgh and I enjoyed that. I visited family areas in Perthshire and Argyll, and to make my holiday a little bit different took classes at Nick Nairn's Cooking School in the Trossachs. What a beautiful part of the country and learning to cook fresh food from the area was most enjoyable. I would say visit in between July and September - be warned that Edinburgh is very full (and expensive) and very very busy when the festivals are on.

I do wish you well with your wedding and a pleasant (weather wise) honeymoon.

Kaye
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Congratulations David!

Both Kyle and Kaye have given you good information above. If you would like, send me an email (see your post in Gatherings) and I will send you a list of very good, honest, and responsible kilt makers in the US/Canada area. Any of them would be happy to communicate with you now to decide the best time to order your kilt. The sooner you get on the list with them, the easier it is to get your kilt on time and the right size. There are some that I would NOT purchase anything from, one of them being where I got mine about 6 or 8 years ago.

Oh, if you want other than the Ancient, Modern, or Muted tartans it will be a long wait for the special run and the pricing will go up, drastically. The Livingstone/Maclay and Livingstone Dress tartans are special weaves only and will be upwards of $75/yard with a minimum yardage order which might be enough to make a dozen or more kilts.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Thank you Everyone. :)

Greg I sent you an email and would appreciate hearing you recommendations.
and will take Kyle's time line to heart as well... so I need to get with the Kilt maker soon and expect about a 4 - 6 month time to get it ordered.

I'm going to go Modern but the wife to be did want the Dress tartan colors... not too sure about that now.

Kaye, I appreciate the hints and suggestions. I was also thinking in the June through August months. the trip is going to be both Scotland and Ireland so need to find a balance. I heard the fringe festival was something to really see but we might want a slightly off season time so we can go look around. MY father came from Sterling and I did want to do the family areas and think she would love staying in B&B's.

Would anyone recommend building the trip ourselves or get a professional tourist company? I am great with searching and putting things together but not sure if it is better suited to someone who does this all the time.

Thank you all again for everything.
David
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

A note about the Dress colors: Some folks think of these as more 'feminine' colors. I might in that case stay away from them, and stick with the Modern?

And a note about kilt hose, which is to say: In the US, the cream-colored hose are very common, but in Scotland no one seems to like them. I might suggest going with a green or red kilt hose to match the Modern? It's basically all I wear now. Other colors can look nice too.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

The Dress colors are thought of as women's but were actually, at one time, for formal occasions. The main thing to remember is that with all the white you will need to keep an eye on anything that has a hint of dirt or grime on it to keep it white. Cleaning is not hard but time consuming since dry cleaning will remove the natural oils of the wool and they might not get the pleats lined up correctly.

For kilt hose I have lovet green, a khaki, black, and am planning on getting some charcoal and grey. I have 4 pair of white/cream that came with other purchases but I never wear them. The rental companies are the ones that started the white/cream idea since it was easier to stock one color that the multitude of options that are out there. Once again, xmarksthescot.com is a good source of information.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA