Janet livingstone

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
SusanJohnson

Re: Janet livingstone

Post by SusanJohnson »

Hi Donald,

After spending a bit of time researching my Malcolm Livingstone and Janet Livingstone, I came across the obituary of Duncan Livingstone of Livingstone Cove, who I believe could be Malcolm's son and Janet's brother. What I found most interesting is where it says Duncan was born! Here's the obituary:

Morning Chronicle (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
Monday, 20 December 1880, p. 3, col. 3:

Deaths - At Livingstone's Cove, Cape George, Antigonish County, on the 8th inst., in the 90th year of his age, Duncan LIVINGSTONE. Deceased was born in the year 1791 on board the emigrant ship Ann, off the coast of Ireland, on a voyage from Scotland to America.

Unfortunately, I have had no success locating an emigrant ship named Ann that traveled from Scotland/Ireland to America in 1791, but I'm not giving up!

Regards,
Susan
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Susan,
Welcome back.
THat is a really interesting information regarding an early pioneer Livingston in Nova Scotia. I had not seen that before.
I am setting up a new posting here at the forum just for your subject matter which is essentially Malcolm Livingston of Pictou County, Nova Scotia and Descendants to better organize this discussion and so that other descendants of Malcolm Livingston see information on Malcolm and his descendants. I will have more info there regarding your ancestor Malcolm Livingstone. I want to set up a discussion specifically for descendants of Malcolm Livingston such as yourself or other Nova Scotia Livingston researchers interested in this topic.

Regards,

Donald (Livingstone) CLink
Historian
Clan (Livingstone) Society
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Susan,

Some of the older maps may give you a better idea of Garvan as it was situated in what was Kilmallie Parish in Ardgour,Argyll. Kilmallie Parish apparently ceased to exist in 1895. Looks like Garvan had at most a few buildings including tenant crofts. Nearby to the east was Duisky and Blaich.
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

A brig called Ann made frequent voyages from Scotland/Ireland to mainly Canada in the early 1800's, only one mention so far on late 1700's list. But no passenger lists.

http://immigrantships.net/index2.html

The above link will take you to site the Ann appears on, the one info. on the Garvan area,

http://her.highland.gov.uk/hbsmrgateway ... Report.pdf

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Malcolm Livingston's petition for a land grant provides some detail as to the year and even the month he arrived and with mention that he was with a group of settlers who were brought over by Simon Frazer. Unfortunately he does mention whether he arrived with his family aboard the "Dunkeld" or another vessel. Another vessel out of Glasgow was known to also have brought settlers in 1791 to Nova Scotia but the original researcher in the 1930's did not locate a name for this vessel. I have noticed in case of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia families, for example,that the name of the vessel that brought them to Nova Scotia probably no longer exists and though many of the passenger vessels have been recorded there are for sure many that were not so there could have been another vessel that arrived in September of 1791 that is not recorded included in the surviving records of Ships that arrived in 1791 in Nova Scotia.

Malcolm Livingstone Jr. 1792 Petition

To his Excellency John Wentworth Esquire Lieutenant Governor and Commander in Chief in and over his Majesty's Province of Nova Scotia
and Honorable His Majestie's Council
THe Memorial of Malcolm Livingstone Junior of Merrigomish
Humbly Shewith
That your Excellency and Honours Memorialist come to this settler and his family consisting of Nine in number from the Highlands of Scotland in the month of September last with other Emigrants brought by Simon Frazer
That your Excellency's memorialist has been very assidious in promoting the plan of emigration and has made very considerable improvement upon a small lot of land that he purchased and lives upon it presently with his family but has never received his own lands from Government. May it therefore please your Excellency and Honours to consider what is above represented
and to authorize or to grant to your memorialist such quantity as may be thought fit.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Yes that is the Campbell family connected to through Malcolm's daughter's (Janet Livingston ) marriage to John Campbell to Susan. I am hoping in the future that more descendants of Malcolm Livingston Jr. and Katharine McPhee connected to their children that lived at Livingstone Cove, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia will see the posts on their family history and drop by the forum.

regards,

Donald