Malcolm Livingstone of Pictou County Nova Scotia 1791

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Malcolm Livingstone of Pictou County Nova Scotia 1791

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Susan,
I am refreshing my memory on your most interesting family line and also setting up this post so that other Malcolm Livingston descendant and other Nova Scotia researchers like yourself will see this info in the future. It is also interesting that you have a later Mabou, INverness County, Cape Breton family connection.
If I understand correctly from you earlier postings your ancestral line connected to Malcolm Livingstone
Malcolm is the earliest "Highland" Livingston settler known to have settled in Nova Scotia according to the Archive records. There were other Livingstons of Empire Loyalist American origin to petition in Government in Nova Scotia, but Malcolm was the first documented Highland Livingston to my knowledge.
1. Malcolm Livingstone and Catharine McPhee (Malcolm and family arrived in 1791) great-great-great-great grandparents
2. Janet Livingstone m. John Campbell great-great-great grandparents
3. Janet Campbell m. Neil Johnston great-great grandparents
4. Christina Johnston m. Michael Edward Wells great grandparents
5. Edward Michael Wells

And from my earlier post
1. Malcolm Livingston and Catharine McPhee
2. Col John Campbell b. 1785 died 1849 St. Andrews Antigonish County, NS m. Janet Livingston b.1785 Argyllshire Scotland d. 1885 daughter of Malcolm Livingston and Catharine McPhee pioneer settlers of Cape George, Antigonish County, N.S.
3. Janet Campbell b. abt. 1835 m. Neil Johnston
4. Christina Johnston b. 1855 Mabou, Inverness County, Cape Breton, NS died 1920 Boston, Suffolk County Mass, USA married Michael Wells of Guysborough, who died 1899 in Guysborough, Nova Scotia
5. Edward Michael Wells (your grandfather)

In 1792 Malcolm Livingstone Jr. pioneer settler Malcolm Livingstone of Merigomish, Pictou County, Nova Scotia your ancestor petitioned for land:

http://novascotia.ca/archives/landpaper ... =201109962

Malcolm Livingstone Jr. 1792

To his Excellency John Wentworth Esquire Lieutenant Governor and Commander in Chief in and over his Majesty's Province of Nova Scotia
and Honorable His Majestie's Council
THe Memorial of Malcolm Livingstone Junior of Merrigomish
Humbly Shewith
That your Excellency and Honours Memorialist come to this settler and his family consisting of Nine in number from the Highlands of Scotland in the month of September last with other Emigrants brought by Simon Frazer
That your Excellency's memorialist has been very assidious in promoting the plan of emigration and has made very considerable improvement upon a small lot of land that he purchased and lives upon it presently with his family but has never received his own lands from Government. May it therefore please your Excellency and Honours to consider what is above represented
and to authorize or to grant to your memorialist such quantity as may be thought fit.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Malcolm Livingston of Pictou County Nova Scotia 1791

Hi Susan,

Here is more just to recap some of the earlier information:

Malcolm Livingstone stands out as the earliest known "highland Livingstone" to settle in Nova Scotia directly from Argyllshire, Scotland though there seems to have been one or two individuals named Livingston as early as the 1760's prior to the American Revolution and a few American Loyalists named Livingston who arrived in the 1780's. Regretably there are but bits and pieces of information regarding Malcolm and his family but perhaps one can make some sense of it all by piecing together what we do know.

It is stated in his 1792 Nova Scotia Land Petition that Malcolm Livingstone jr. was a highland Livingstone origin according to one source having resided at Ardgour Lochber which is in the County of Argyllshire near both Morvern and Northern Ballachulish and reasonably close to Lochaber and Fort William in the neighbouring Inverness area. Early land records in Nova Scotia mention a widow Mary but I don't know for certain how she is connected to Malcolm Livingston Jr. Another source including parish records of some of their children born in the years before they settled in Nova Scotia, indicates that Malcolm and his wife Kate Macphee originated in the Lochaber region of Scotland in the Western Argyll/Inverness area where nearby Fort William in Inverness-shire is situated. Interestingly both accounts seem to agree with the general locality in the highlands where Malcolm seems to have originated. It is of course not certain that Malcolm was actually born in the Ardgour or Lochaber district of Western Argyllshire just that was likely living there at the time he left for Nova Scotia.(Recent info 2016 from three birth records from 1780's of children of Malcolm and Catharine suggest that the family lived at a village or tenant settlement known as Garvan in Kilmallie Parish. Ardgour is in Kilmallie Parish. The 1792 Petition of Malcolm Livington of Pictou County, Nova Scotia also importantly notes that Malcolm and nine members of his family arrived in Merogomish, Pictou County, Nova Scotia in September 1791. Most importantly it identifies 1791 as the year of his arrival in Pictou County and Nova Scotia. A subsequent 1794Tax record states that Malcolm Livingston Sr. is residing at Little Harbour, Pictou County which I understand is in the Merogomish vicinity.

One source states he was one of the Scottish colonists brought over in the year 1792 by Simon Fraser who was infact a son of one Lieutenant John Fraser of the 82nd British Regiment but it is clear from the petition Malcolm Livingston actually arrived in 1791 rather than 1792.Historian Colin MacDonald in 1932 suggested to the Nova Scotia Historical Society that two ships, one probably the "Dunkeld" in the Summer of 1791 brought a large number of highland settlers from the Hebrides to Pictou, Nova Scotia with many of them ending up in neighbouring ANtigonish County. Perhaps significantly No other ships are mentioned for Pictou area settlers for the year 1791. It seem probable that Malcolm Livingston and his family was one of these 1791 arrivals. Malcolm however may have settled however on John Fraser's land in the Merigomish area around this time or one his fellow soldiers who received land in the 1780's. This John Fraser in the year 1785 received 700 acres at Merigomish in Pictou County, Nova Scotia. The 82nd Regiment participated in the Revolutionary War in America and also ended up in Halifax, Nova Scotia where they were disbanded in 1783. Officers, Non Commissioned Officers and inlisted men received land grants in Pictou County and there grants became referred to in Nova Scotia as the 82nd Grants. Scattered settlements sprung up as scottish settlers ended up on original land grants of the 82nd regiment. There is no information to suggest that Malcolm Livingstone served with the 82nd and from what I can tell he was one probably as stated one of highland settlers encouraged to settle in Nova Scotia after the 82nd regiment had received their grants and began clearing the land for settlement.

Later 1810 Malcolm Livingston or Livingstone yeoman received a land grant in the Cape George, ANtigonish County area along with sons Allan and John. By 1814 Malcolm is apparently deceased and his widow Mary Livingston and sons Allan,John,Angus,Colin and Duncan together receive grants and are among the early settlers located on the south side of Cape George in Antigonish County. Livingstone Cove near Cape George is named after this Livingstone family. Nearby was David Ballantyne for whom Ballantyne Cove is named. In addition to his own 500 acre grant he acquired land from his neighbours including Malcolm's son Allen Livington and eventually possessed most of the south side of Cape George. A former soldier in the 82nd Regiment, Ballantyne also had first settled at Merigomish but later received land from the Crown along the shoreline of Cape George. The Livingstons, Campbells and Ballantynes resided in what became known as Arisaig Township. The early census records also seems to indicate another original Livingston family residing in Arisaig Township besides Malcolm's sons in the early 1800's. I actually noticed this a few years ago in a later census that included residents of Arisaig Township. I wondered then if there was not one other additional Livingstone family besides that of Malcolm's that settled in the area.

Family of Malcolm Livingstone who was b.1750's ? in Argyllshire Scotland died between 1810-1814 Cape George,Antigonish Cty. N.S. (Interestingly referred to as Malcolm Livingston Jr father of 9 from Highland Scotland Lochaber. arrived 1791 Pictou, NS.
Widow Mary Livingstone ? grantee Cape George South side 1814 No idea who she was?
John Livingstone 1777- April 16,1821 grantee Cape George South Side 1814
Angus Livingstone grantee Cape George South Side 1814
Allan Livingstone 1778- Aug.1,1863 grantee Cape George South Side 1814 (In 1809 received land at Merogomish,Pictou County)
(Allan states in 1809 record that he arrived in Nova Scotia 18 years earlier (1791)
Colin Livingstone grantee Cape George South Side 1814
Duncan Livingstone b. 1791 aboard immigrant ship Ann d. Dec. 8, 1880 grantee Cape George South Side 1814
Janet Livingstone (1788-1885?) married John Campbell (1785-1849) a Cape George area landowner and son of Col. John Campbell who served in the British Army during the American Revolution. By the 1827 Antigonish County Census in Arisaig Township only the sons Allan and Duncan Livingston remain. John died in 1821. Not clear what happened to Angus and Colin.
Dougald Livingstone receives land grant from John Campbell in 1809 at Cape George, Antigonish County (May also be son of Malcolm)

Regarding your latest posting with includes this:
Morning Chronicle (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
Monday, 20 December 1880, p. 3, col. 3:

Deaths - At Livingstone's Cove, Cape George, Antigonish County, on the 8th inst., in the 90th year of his age, Duncan LIVINGSTONE. Deceased was born in the year 1791 on board the emigrant ship Ann, off the coast of Ireland, on a voyage from Scotland to America.

I would assume that is an obituary for Duncan Livingston one of Malcolm Livingston's youngest children. That is an amazing find. Great work. What would Duncan be your 4th great Uncle or something like that? His sister Janet Livingstone, Mrs. John Campbell was your great-great-great-great grandmother if I understood correctly your original post at the forum from before.

You also discussed info regarding the possibility that Malcolm Livingston was married twice. I have suspected that as well though I am not certain who the second wife was. At one point I though it was a Mary but I not 100 percent certain of that. You mentioned this in an earlier post:

I recently came across some more information about Malcolm Livingstone and Janet Livingstone that I would like to share with you. Although it may connect more pieces of the puzzle, it may also create another mystery!

The two links below suggest that our Malcolm may have been married twice. According to these records, Malcolm’s first wife was Anne Hoatson, with whom he had one child: Janet Livingstone. Malcolm's second wife was Kate MacPhee, with whom he had six children: Allan, Duncan, John, Dougald, Jessie, and Mary (1779-1816). I believe this info is incorrect as Jessie is a nickname for Janet and Janet was one of the youngest children of Malcolm and kate. Unless there were two Janet's I think Janet and Jessie were one and the same and clearly Janet was born to Kate and Malcolm in Scotland according to the parish records a few years before they left for Nova Scotia. There may have been a first wife Anne but Janet who married John Campbell in Nova Scotia seems to have been born in the 1780's according to the Scottish records I have found.

regards,

Donald
SusanJohnson

Re: Malcolm Livingstone of Pictou County Nova Scotia 1791

Post by SusanJohnson »

Hi Donald,

The recap of my family line and ancestral connection to Malcolm Livingstone is spot on with a couple of exceptions: my great-grandfather, Michael Wells (who married Christina Johnston), was born in Guysborough not Mabou. And the generations seem to be off by one; i.e., Malcolm and Kate are my 4th great grandparents; Janet and John Campbell are my 3rd; Janet and Neil Johnston are my 2nd; Christina and Michael are my great-grandparents and Edward Michael and Helen are my grandparents. That would make Duncan Livingstone my 3rd great uncle.

Really great work, Donald; this puzzle is coming together rather nicely. I'm looking forward to learning more.

Thank you again,
Susan
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Susan,

John Livingston a few years ago as you may recall kindly located and informed you of the church parish records for three of Malcolm Livingston and Catharine McPhee's children: Angus, Malcolm and Janet Livingston indicating that all three were born in Kilmallie Parish in the County of Argyllshire in the 1780's before the family settled in 1791 in Nova Scotia. There was information I had seen that the family lived somewhere near Ardgour and infact Kilmallie Parish is in that area. I took a closer look at the information that John had uncovered linking your Livingstons to Kilmallie Parish, Argyllshire and discovered that the Church of Scotland Minister in Kilmallie Parish had included the name of the village that Malcolm Livingston, his wife Catharine McPhee and the family were residing in the 1780's at the time of the birth of these children. That village in Kilmallie Parish, Argyllshire appears to be Garvan

Angus Livingston born April 30, 1780 at Garavan, Kilmallie Parish
Dugald Livingston born February 19, 1786 Ganean? probably Garvan, Kilmallie Parish
Janet Livingstone born Sept 1, 1788 Garvan, Kilmallie Parish

I noticed in the earlier info I had that Janet was said to born in 1785 but that perhaps was just an estimate and really not that far off from the 1788 info that appears to be her actual birth date unless it turned out to be baptismal info. In any event you now know the settlement in Kimallie where the family resided near the time they departed for Scotland and we can probably now find it on a map and perhaps even find photos of it.

Information from Genuki states that Kilmallie Parish of Inverness and Argyllshire is the largest parish in Scotland and includes "Ardgour, Blaich, Clouvlin and Garvan in Argyllshire". It further describes Kilmallie Parish as "bounded by Ardnamurchan and Glenelg N. and E. by Kilmonivaig and S. by Lismore and Appin, SW. by Morvern. The Clan Chief lives on the Isle of Lismore and my great-great-great grandfather Miles Livingston in his 1812 marriage entry was recorded as being a Native of Morvern, Argyll. So we have proof that Malcolm and the family were residing at Garvan, Kilmallie Parish, Argyllshire in Highland Scotland just a few years prior to their departure likely in the Summer of 1791 for Nova Scotia which they arrived at in September of 1791.

regards,

Donald
SusanJohnson

Post by SusanJohnson »

Hi Donald,

Great info! So we have birth dates and locations for Angus - b. 1780; Dugald - b. 1786; Janet - b. 1788, all in Garvan, Kilmallie Parish, Scotland; and Duncan - b. 1791 en route to Nova Scotia.

Malcolm and Kate's other children must have been older than the three mentioned above based on the birth dates we have and the family's 1791 arrival in Pictou. We have Allan, John, Mary, and then there is Jessie and Colin. Jessie is mentioned in one reference and Colin is mentioned as a grantee in the 1814 land grant. Janet is not referenced where Jessie is mentioned. Jessie is a nickname for Jane, which could in fact be Janet, but I'm speculating; I will have to dig deeper to confirm.

I am trying to imagine what it must have been like for Malcolm and Kate in 1791. What drove them to leave Scotland and all that they knew (family, friends) to travel by ship to an unknown land with an army of children (my Janet would have been 3 yrs old) and baby Duncan on the way? And then arriving in September 1791 just as winter was about to settle in? What did they do? Did they have a place to stay through the winter months until they could figure things out? I'm hoping to learn move about this amazing family when I visit Nova Scotia this summer.

Best,
Susan
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Susan,
Garvan Kilmallie Parish in Northern Argyll County, Scotland
Garvan, Lochaber Highland Argyll. Kilmallie a parish on the peninsula of Lochaber until 1895 that included part in Inverness-shire and part in Argyllshire. The Argyllshire part included Ardgour, Banavie, Clovulin, Colpach, Achdalier, Blaich, Duisky and Garvan. Close to Fort William in Inverness-shire. All this nicely matches what we found out years previous regarding the general notion of the location where Malcolm Livingston and family originated but with the added information of Garvin we can be a bit more precise.

The closest major town as mentioned in years past IS Fort William. A few Miles west of Fort William your into Argyll and come to a Loch Ail. Following the south shore of Loch Ail in a westerly direction there is the town of Blaich, then Duisky and then South Gavin and Gavin. South of Gavin between the North Gavin River and the South Gavin River is Gavin Glen. This would all be familiar territory for old Malcolm Livingston I would assume. East of Blaich in neighbouring Inverness-shire would be the town of Fort William.
late 19th early 20th century maps that include Argyll part of what was in old Kilmallie Parish before 1895 with Garvan by Loch Eil in Northern part of Argyll County Top part of map Northern Argyllshire
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400901 1883 Ordnance Map of Northern Argyll with Loch Eil area
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74490387 1908 Ordnance Map of Northern Argyll with Loch Eil area
http://maps.nls.uk/view/101466311 1900 Ordnance Survey Map with Loch Eil area
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400817 1902 Ordnance Survey Map with Loch Eil area

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400146 (1832 Thompson Map in Gaelic with Loch Eil area)

http://maps.nls.uk/view/00000300 early Northern Argyll map Herman Moll 1701? with Ardgaur (Ardgour) , Glengaur (Garvan Glen) and to the east Fort William and Bin Novesh (Ben Nevis) in Inverness-shire

From the photos I have seen looks like are vantage points in the Loch Eil vicinity where very picturesque views of Ben Nevis can be seen. Very scenic area to be sure. I can't tell you whether there are any ruins of old field stone homes of the tenants in the Garvan area but it you look closely on the ordnance survey maps attempts were made identify some of remaining building in the area in the early 1900's with little black squares. No idea whether or not these are old buildings are later structures, but it gives you some idea if you ever go to the Loch Eil area west of and near the town of Fort William where the Garvan settlement was at the time of the 1780's when we now know that your ancestor Malcolm Livingston and his family was residing there.

regards,

Donald

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Susan,

One other Livingston family in the Garvan area in the late 1780's
Allan Livingston and Mary McMillan a daughter Catharine born Feb. 24, 1788 at Garvan
Allan Livingston and Mary McMillan a son Duncan born March 25, 1790 at Garvan

Nearby at Duiskie or Duisky (See Maps of Loch Eil area)

John Livingston and Isobel Mclean July 2,1780
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Susan,

Following Malcolm Livingstone's petition of 1792 a 1794 Tax record indicates that Malcolm Livingstone is still residing in Pictou County at Little Harbour which is near Merogomish.
From the information I have seen Malcolm and his family left Pictou County and ended up in Antigonish County after receiving land in the Cape George, Antigonish County area. In 1809 Malcolm's son Dougald received land at Cape George from John Campbell and there are as earlier mentioned land granted to Malcolm Livingston and some of his sons at Cape George in 1810.

The Livingstons in the early day attended the Presbyterian Church that existed at Cape George and later the congregation in the 20th century or many of them became a part of the St. David's United Church I presume after the merger of some Presbyterians with the Methodist Church in 1925 in Canada. It would appear that the original churchyard cemetery has many of Malcolm's family buried in it and the good news is that many of the old gravestones are still intact and legible. THis the earliest info from these old gravestones pertaining to the children of Malcolm Livingston and their wives that are buried in ST. David's United Church Graveyard. (also known as Cape George Cemetery)

Allan Livingstone died August 20, 1854 age 73 years, A Native of Lochaber, Scotland according to his gravestone at St. Davids United Church.

Donald Livingstone died May 27, 1850 age 64 years
Margaret died June 13, 1874 79 years his wife

Margaret d. June 13, 1875 wife of Dougald Livingstone age 79 Years
These are sons and wife's of the sons of Malcolm Livingston and Christine McPhee that are known to buried in this cemetery. There are likely others. It is not known where Malcolm and his wife are buried. Malcolm Livingston is thought to have died in 1814 or 1815. I have seen conflicting birth dates for Malcolm indicating that he was thought to have been born in the 1750's or 1740's in Argyll, Scotland possibly in Ardgour or Lochaber. Others have alternative theories.

Known Children of Malcolm Livingston and wife Catharine McPhee (A work in progress)
1. John Livingston b. abt. 1777 died April 16,1821
1. Catharine Livingston b. March 1, 1778
2. Angus Livingston b. April 30,1780 in Garvan, Kilmallie Parish, Lochaber, Argyll.
3. Dougald Livingston b. Feb.18,1786 at Garvan,Kilmallie parish Ardgour, Arygyll d.? m. Margaret b.abt.1796 d. December 8,1890, Cape George
4. Donald Livingston b. abt. 1786? d. May 27, 1850 Cape George, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia
5. Janet Livingston b. Sept 1 1788 Garvan,Kilmallie Parish, Ardgour, Argyll d. 1885 m. John Campbell
6. Allan Livingston b.abt. 1790 in Lochaber, Argyll, Scotland d. August 20, 1854 Cape George, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia
7. Duncan Livingston b.1791 at sea on the "Ann" d. December 8, 1890 Cape George, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia
8. Malcolm Livingston b.1790? d. 1830? (Went back to Europe in the 1820's) ?
9. Colin Livingston b.? d?
10. Christine Livingston 1796-1896? (I have no information on a Christine Livingston)
SusanJohnson

Post by SusanJohnson »

Hi Donald,

This is really great information; thank you so much! I noticed that sons Malcolm and Allan were born in the same year (1790). Do you know if they were twins? I ask because in the Campbell family tree that is on-line, I noticed that John Campbell and Janet Livingstone Campbell may have also had twins, Jane and Mary, born in the same year (1806). I'm curious about the twins factor because I have identical twin brothers and fraternal twin cousins, so twins seem to run in the family!

Best,
Susan
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Susan,

I am still not sure how accurate all of this is, so I cant say for certain there are some errors. And this is the first time I have really attempted to piece together the family of Malcolm Livingston. Before that I just had seen bits and pieces of information. Having noticed records for three of the children back at Garvan, Kilmallie parish, Argyll that John Livingston had earlier located, inspired me to see what other information in Nova Scotia itself existed regarding the other family members. There was a little bit of info from the old cemetery stones at St. Davids United Church which was helpful providing the information is accurate. As there are few surviving birth records for these children of Malcolm or death records or census records it is somewhat challenging to piece this together.

regards,

Donald