North Carolina highland games

Public Forum for discussion or comments on Gatherings around the world. This could include Clan gatherings or other Scottish or Highland festivals.
Forum rules
Any Clan, Scottish, or Highland Gathering can be discussed here.
Alan Livingston

North Carolina highland games

Post by Alan Livingston »

I just attended the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games. I tent camped for two nights. I met lots and lots of fun and interesting folks of Scottish heritage. Everyone was so friendly. Even got a little haggis ! I got to wear my new Ancient Livingston kilt for the first time and feel like I fit right in. These are some of the biggest games in the nation. There must have been 60 or more clan tents and tons of competitions and events. Being new to Highland games, I learned a lot from people with decades of experience.

My home town in Laurinburg, NC is hosting our Scotland County Highland Games on October 1st ( check out our website ). We are not as big as Grandfather, but we have a full array of games and music, including children's games and a marvelous miniature train ride for the kids, with attendance expected to be in the neighborhood of 6000. If anyone reading this can possibly attend, absolutely ask for Alan Livingston, and I will give you a personal grand tour.
Greg Livingston

Re: North Carolina highland games

Post by Greg Livingston »

Alan, I wish I could be there but October is a VERY busy month for our family.

Would you be interested in learning about hosting a tent for the Clan MacLea (Livingstone) Society? If so, please contact either Suzanne Livingstone at games (at) clanlivingstone (dot) com or myself at commissioner (at) clanlivingstone (dot) com. We can email you all the information you would need.

Thank you
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Wish I could attend as well but the little ones prevent that for awhile.

But in the mean time, I would encourage you to consider hosting your own tent as Greg suggested--the Society would be very grateful!

kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Cmcclay

Post by Cmcclay »

Thanks for bringing back a great memory. While stationed at Fort Bragg,NC in the early 1970s I attended the Grandfather Mountain games. Also camped and remember the campfires and bagpipes putting me to sleep at night.
Had just finished airborne school, was in the best shape of my life, and somehow managed to win the standing broad jump competition. Won a free chicken dinner at this awesome local eatery, but can't remember the name.
Anyway thanks again for the trip down memory lane.
Posted a couple of emails on the Bachuil situation. Very sad news.
Craig McClay Wilson