Angus Livingston of Boularderie/Bras d'or, Cape Breton Quest

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Angus Livingston of Boularderie/Bras d'or, Cape Breton Quest

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Angus Livingston of Penmore Mull and his family arrived in Sept. of 1819 in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and in 1820 petitioned for a lot from Governor Ainslie on the west side of Boulardie in Victoria County, Cape Breton. He received a lot They named their property "Kilninian" after the parish in Mull where the family had come from.

Angus Livingston was born abt. 1773 based upon his later 1826 land petition in which he states his age at the time as 53 and that he has eight children. In this petition he also states that he served as a sailor with the Royal Navy on the Royal George which was during the Napoleonic War involved in the defence of the english channel. Angus has been confused with Angus Livingston born in Ross in Mull about 1775 , later lived in neighbouring Colonsay,who as a young man served in the Argyll fencibles in Ireland until the regiment was disbanded in 1802 and is included in the list of Chelsea Pensioners. This "other" Angus Livingston in the 1840's left Colonsay and died in Paisley Renfrewshire in October of 1847 according to his last Chelsea Pension entry. No known relation to the sailor Angus Livingston b. in 1773 in Mull who with his wife Christy McLucas and his children settled in 1819 in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and received land at Bras d'or Boularderie, Victoria County, Cape Breton. Angus Livingston of Boularderie and Bras d'or, Cape Breton a boat builder is believed to have died abt. 1840 in Cape Breton. The other Angus Livingston that did not settled in Cape Breton Nova Scotia it should be pointed out was born in 1775 the son of Neil Livingston tenant farmer of Shiaba, Ross of Mull served in the Argyll Fencibles, served in Ireland in the late 1700's and received a Chelsea military pension for the reminder of his Life. This Angus Livingston never settled in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia married Margaret Hall of McPhail a few years after finishing his military service with the Argyllshire fencibles and the couple then returned to Ross of Mull, Argyll where they had a large family. Sometime in the 1830's the family left Ross of Mull in southern Mull for a croft in nearby Isle of Colonsay at Uragaig in the Jura District but not the isle of Jura but rather Colonsay. One way sort of the confusion between these two Angus Livingston is to realize that the Angus Livingston was a former sailor on the Royal George according to his petition born abt 1773 in Mull who settled in Boularderie Cape Breton in 1819 with his wife Christie McLucas and he died in 1840 at Boularderie Cape Breton. The other Angus Livingston he is confused with is in fact very much alive and back in Scotland as the 1841 Census with his wife Margaret Hall or McPhail and some of children that were still livings with at Uragaig, Colonsay including a son Hugh and a son James. A few years later Hugh left and settled in Paisley, Renfrewshire around the time or shortly before the famine hit Western Argyllshire and then around 1847 according to this other Angus Livingston's Chelsea military pension record a copy which I have, he died in Oct of 1847 in Paisley Renfrewshire where as mentioned a son Hugh Livingston and a daughter as well have moved to the 1840's after leaving their croft were their father resided in the 1830's and part of the 1840's in Uragaig, Colonsay. So there is no original documentation showing that the Angus Livingston b. 1775 probably in Shiaba, Ross of Mull to Neil Livingston of Ross of Mull is the same Angus Livingston as Angus Livingston b. 1773 sailor formerly of the Royal George during the Napoleonic Wars who subsequently settled in 1819 in Boularderie, Cape Breton and was married to Christie McLucas nor should he be mistaken for him. I would greatly appreciate any efforts by descendants of Angus Livingston b. 1773 of Boularderie, Cape Breton to make a note of this error for future reference.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society

While Angus Livingston's 1826 petition states that he has eight children at that time, it is known that in his lifetime he and his wife Christy McLucas actually had 10 children. Likely a couple had died before 1826 or he is not including son Lachlan who it is known from the Cape Breton land records left for Europe or Scotland in the 1820's. So that might account for one less Livingston child mentioned by Angus or simply that two had died before the family settled in 1819 in Cape Breton.

The Children of Angus Livingston and Christy McLucas born in Mull,Argyll
1.Donald Levingston bap. Nov. 12, 1798 Penmore, Kilninian Parish
2.( Lachlan Livingstone born 1799 m. Margaret Livingston Feb. 10, 1818 Penmore, Kilninian Parish Mull (no baptism record but found his marriage record) Lachlan's later petition for land in Cape Breton verifies that he was born abt. 1799) (Lachlan returned to Scotland in the 1820's)
3. Catharine Livingstone bap. July 1, 1800 Penmore Kilninian Parish, Mull
4. Archibald Livingston bap. Dec. 23, 1803 Penmore,Kilninian Parish, Mull d. May 21, 1891 Boularderie, Cape Breton m. Jane Beaton b. abt. 1806 Scotland d. Sept 25, 1869 in Boularderie, Cape Breton
5. Rodger (Roderick) Levingston bap. Dec. 20, 1805 Penmore, Kilninian parish, Mull d. Dec. 1870 Boularderie, Victoria County, Cape Breton
6. John Levingston bap. Dec. 20, 1805 Penmore, Kilninian Parish, Mull (Twin died?)
7. Alexander Levingston bap. Dec. 23, 1807 Penmore, Kilininian Parish, Mull d. Sept. 18, 1894 Boulderie, Victoria County, Cape Breton married Isabella Deeson b. abt. 1810 d. January 17, 1887 in Boularderie, Victoria County, Cape Breton
8. Anne Livingston bap. Sept. 4. 1811 Penmore Kilninian Parish, Mull
9. Catharine Livingstone bap. Sept. 4, 1811 Penmore Kilninian Parish, Mull
10. Angus Livingstone bap. March 28, 1815 Penmore Kilninian Parish, Mull

I am hoping to make contact with descendants of this Angus Livingston pioneer settler of Boularderie and Bras d'or on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia through this Clan Maclea Livingstone Society forum. Some groundbreaking research in years past was done by Ann Capstick of the Boularderie LIvingstons regarding Angus Livingston and she and some other descendants of old Angus Livingston have contacted this forum in the past.
I am currently working on a project to try to link old Cape Breton pioneer Angus Livingston of Boularderie and Bras d'or in what is today Victoria County, Cape Breton with another Livingston family group that of farmer Alexander Livingston b. 1816 in Mull, Argyll, Scotland and later a farmer in Skye Mt. near Whycocomagh, Inverness County, Cape Breton thought to be the son of a John Livingston also of Penmore, Mull according to the Kilninian Parish, Mull records.

regards,

Historian
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Angus Livingston of Boularderie/Bras d'or, Cape Breton Q

Hi All,

Those researching the origins of Angus Livingston 1773-1840 of Boularderie, Cape Breton are likely to have seen some earlier Cape Breton historical info linking the pioneer shipbuilder Angus Livingston who was married to Christie McLucas to being connected in some way to the pioneer Malcolm Livingston who first settled in Nova Scotia around 1791 and the earliest known of the highland Livingstons to settle in Nova Scotia. Also a Inverness County, Cape Breton pioneer John Livingston of Mull who settled about 1803 in Judique, Inverness County, Cape Breton and the John Livingston who around 1806 first settled in the Low Point area of Cape Breton also has been in the past linked to the family of first pioneer settler Malcolm Livingston. There is however no proof of a family connection. Our Clan society a significant number of Livingstons of Nova Scotia and PEI origin have over the last 10 years have participated in a genealogy DNA project which is helping to resolve the question of kinship amongst several Mull and some Morvern Livingston families whose pioneer Livingston ancestors settled in the early 1800's in what is today Nova Scotia and neighbouring Prince Edward Island. We however don't have any "Livingstons" who are direct descendants of Angus Livingston of Boularderie, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia participating in this Livingston DNA project nor is there a direct descendant of Malcolm Livingston whose family lived for years at Cape George, Livingstone's Cove in Morristown Township in ANtigonish County, Nova Scotia. We would greatly appreciate anyone who knows of a "Livingston" from one of these two families interested in participating in this genealogy DNA project for the purpose of helping to determine the kinship of Angus Livingston of Boularderie , Cape Breton to other Livingstons already tested with Nova Scotia and PEI pioneer Livingston roots and eventually to early settler of Nova Scotia Malcolm Livingston please contact this forum.

regards,

Historian
Canadian Livingstone

Now I should explain after my previous comments that while without doubt that Angus Livingston b. 1773 Mull died Boularderie, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia in 1840 married to Christina or Christie McLucas and the Angus Livingston b.1775 Shiaba, Ross of Mull and later Uragaig, Colonsay d. 1847 Paisley, Renfrewshire m. to Margaret Hall or Mcphail are not the one and same person, I must let you know that both Angus Livingston's had descendants that some years later settled in Australia. This might be where some of the confusion regarding the two different Angus Livingstons may have arisen.

I have information somewhere firstly that a Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canadian grandson of Angus Livingston and Christy McLucas who settled in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia in 1819 settled in Australia I think it was in the 1870's. This was Angus Charles Livingston b. 1840 in Boularderie, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia the son of Angus Livingston's son Alexander Livingston of Boularderie, Cape Breton and his wife Isabella Deason. I don't a lot about this grandson of Angus Livingston and Christy McLucas of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia except that he settled in Australia around the 1870's I think and had apparently two sons one of which was Alfred John Livington b. Sept. 21, 1895 in Rushworth, Victoria, Australia with his Australian wife Harriet Mora Growney.

Secondly I know that at least one descendant of the other Angus Livingston who was married to Margaret Hall who lived at Ross of Mull and later Colonsay, Argyll and died in Paisley, Renfrewshire in 1847 according to his Chelsea Pension records where his son Hugh lived, this descendant apparently settled in Australia as this forum has been in touch several years ago with this descendant of the descendant who settled in Australia. So interesting there is apparently an Australian connection to both families.

I suspect the fact that each of these Angus Livingstons I have mentioned had a descendant settle in Australia may have helped to create some sense of confusion regarding the two Angus Livingston, but I am 100 per cent certain we are talking here actually of two different Angus Livingstons that somehow perhaps I have suggested have been mixed up early on and apparently few if anyone has noticed this confusion.

regards,

Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All,
In summary
1.Looking at the genealogies it looks like not everyone is certain who is Angus Livingston pioneer of Boularderie, Bras d'or, Victoria County, Cape Breton was.
2.It appears to me that Angus Livingston was married to Christina or Christy McLucas but many are not certain of that. The Mull records indicate they resided at Penmore, Mull in Kilninian Parish at the time of their marriage and when their children were born and probably before they left Mull for Cape Breton in 1819, but very few, particularly those that may not have access to the Scottish Parish records seem to have made the Penmore, Mull connection.
3. Some family researcher have their Boularderie Cape Breton Livingston ancestors to another Angus Livingston born in 1775 and married Margaret Hall or McPhail of Ross of Mull and later Colonsay, Argyll who in fact never left Scotland and left Colonsay in the mid 1840's to be with his son Hugh who had moved to Paisley Renfrewshire, Scotland where this Angus Livingston's military pensions records in their final entry of 1847 indicated he died there that year. So rest assured Angus Livingston and Margaret Hall did not settle in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.
4. It was a belief among some descendants of the pioneer Cape Breton families in the early twentieth century apparently or slightly earlier that some of the early Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and even some PEI Livingstone families were blood relatives possibly some the pioneer Livingstons were sons of one of earliest Livingston settlers of Nova Scotia, Malcolm Livingston Sr. but there is no documented evidence of this in the early records, but the belief has been fostered I suspect from published information stating this was infact the case. Ultimately a genealogy DNA test with a Livingston descendant of Malcolm and Angus Livingston might provide some proof as to whether or not these two Livingston families were possibly closely related in the past and for that matter whether or not any of the other Nova Scotia and PEI livngstons that have already been tested are a close match with a descendant of Nova Scotia pioneer Malcolm Livingston Dr. of Boularderie, Cape Breton pioneer Angus Livingston. Clan Maclea Livingstone Society has been involved in a world wide study of the origins of Livingstons through the familytreedna genealogy DNA test and a number of descendants of pioneer Livingston families that settled in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and elsewhere in Canada, the United States, Australia or those that remained in Scotland have participated over the years. Many Livingtons had gone this route as a means to try and establish which Livingston family group they belong with and which other Livingston families they might be closely related to among those many LIvingstons participating worldwide in this very interesting project.

regards,

Donald ( livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone
Canadian Livingstone

Hi All,

Angus Livingston's son Archibald and Alexander were born and baptized in the early 1800's in Kilninian Parish, Mull, Arygll Scotland. The location where they were born seemed to be according to their baptismal records Penmore Mull but one of their tombstones in Boularderie, Cape Breton I noticed gives a number another name beginning with a P where one of them was born. There are some photos of the gravestones of Alexander and Archibald but I could not read the name of the place in Arygll where on their Cape Breton tombstone they were born. The photos I saw were somewhat blurry.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Donald,

Mull Families have the following info on the family of Angus Livingston of Bras D’or,

F. John Livingstone

M. Catherine Cameron (married bef. 1768)

Family.(Place of Birth, Penmore, unless listed otherwise;

1. Donald, chr. 18 Jul 1768, d. bef. 1774.

2. Angus, chr. 19 Oct. 1769, Ardrioch. m. Christina (Christian) McLucais/McDougall, chr. 13 Oct. 1771, Calliach.

3. Flora (Florence), chr. 05 Sept. 1771.

4. Donald,chr. 11 May 1774, Druimgigha, Kilninian & Kilmore.

5. Mary, chr. 12 Nov.1776, Duchorin & Arivoichoan, Kilninian & Kilmore.

6. Archibald, chr. 10 July 1778. d. bef. 1779.

7. Archibald, chr. 30 Dec. 1779, Sunipol.

The links below may help differentiate between Angus, a soldier, who remained in Scotland, a Kilmainham Pensioner, & Angus in Canada, a navyman, who would be a Greenwich Pensioner.

The Royal Hospital Kilmainham was established in 1681 to house sick and veteran troops from the British Army. These records contain discharge documents of almost 20,000 men serving on the Irish Establishment in the period 1783-1822. Over 50% of the records are those of Irishmen.

The records form part of the WO (War Office) series of records held at The British National Archives. These British Army records from The Royal Hospital, Kilmainham, were repatriated to Britain in 1922.

It’s worth noting that pension records do not just relate to older men: soldiers were eligible for a pension after 12 years of service so relatively young men could be pensioned out.

1.Kilmainham Pensioners;

http://www.findmypast.com/articles/worl ... -1783-1822

2. Greenwich Pensioners (Royal Navy);

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... r/C9966191,

John.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Thanks for that information and those links. I recently noticed I think ancestry.com some more Argyllshire Livingstons who served in the late 1700's or early 1800's and were recorded in the Chelsea Pension records. I was reading that the landlords were becoming increasingly concerned about the number of tenants on their land, but government not so much as at least early on in the 1800's. In the years following 1745, the government found themselves relying on the recruitment of large number of highlanders into their highland regiments and large scale emigration at that point in time in Argyllshire and elsewhere in the highlands would been detrimental to the military. As early as the 1750's, Argyllshire Livingstons were recruited during the French and Indian Wars in America to serve in highland regiments such as Frasers Highlanders or Montgomery's Highlanders. One of those Argyllshire Livingston was a Daniel Livingston known as Donald to the British, probably of Islay, Argyll who following the end of that War, in 1764 received a grant of land on the east side of the Hudson River in Washington County, New York at that time still a part of old Albany County. Just one of many or our clansmen who served in the British Army then and in the years to come.

I forgot now where I found your Angus Levingston's final entry of that Chelsea pension ledger book from 1847 with his death date. It was one those archive sites with old military records in Britain where you pay a monthly fee for use as I recall. Ancestry.uk also I think had some Chelsea pension record info pertaining to the other Angus I mean your ancestor Angus Livingston. The other Angus Livingston in his Cape Breton in one of his land petitions mentioned having been a sailor serving with the Royal George. He arrived in Cape Breton in 1819 so I am suspecting he served on the Royal George during the Napoleon War period which was used in the defence of the English Channel against the possible threat of Napoleon's navy. That is about all that is known. In later years he was boatbuilder on Cape Breton Island. I have never found any naval records pertaining to this Cape Breton Nova Scotia Angus because at the time I was looking there was no easy access to them, but this site you mentioned may prove to be helpful.

I wondered about that Mull information your are mentioning about an Angus Livingston born there in the 1760's as well, but that information seems to be challenged by one of Angus Livingston's Cape Breton land petitions, the one in 1826 where he gives his age at the time as being 52 and from that some of the family researchers in Canada I understand have gone with the notion that Angus Livingston pioneer settler of Boularderie Bras'dor, Island of Cape Breton in present day Nova Scotia, Canada was born abt. 1773. This is the document source of that 1773 date for Angus Livingston of Boularderie, Cape Breton I think:

1826 Land Petition Cape Breton
Angus Livingston Petition to Kempt
Petitioner is a native of Scotland age 53 is married and has eight children. He received from Gov. Ainslie a lot in Great Bras d'or where he is the first settler. He served in the navy on the Royal George and also in the local militia. He asks a grant of 100 acres conferred on him and of another 100 acres on the outside of the fishing lots. Note: Approved

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Here is an earlier posting from 2016 which includes some original Cape Breton documents that identified the son Lachlan whose marriage record appears in the Penmore, Mull shortly before he and his father left for Cape Breton. Lachlan born ab.t 1799 was one of the children of Angus who are record in the Kilninian Parish baptism records but is mentioned in Cape Breton land records I included in this 2016 discussion of this "other" Angus Livingston that has been a source of confusion over the years with your own Angus Livingston I noticed when looking at some Livingston family trees out there. I am hoping that this latest posting will help to bring Angus Livingston researchers to our site (both Angus Livingston descendants and we help distinguish between the two of them where there has been some confusion in the past. Also the earlier posting includes the Cape Breton land petitions of Angus Livingston and his son Lachlan as mentioned who went back to Europe or Scotland in the 1820's after he had petitioned and received a grant. One of his brothers then acquired his land grant in Cape Breton.

Hi All,
The information below and my most recent thoughts on this subject are the culmination of earlier forum discussions and input in times past from our Livingstons at the forum with Cape Breton, Nova Scotia ancestry, the late Roberta Livingston, Jewel Brown, Barry Judson and others. For their Livingston ancestors and other Livingston families of Mull origin, Cape Breton became their second homeland and not unlike Mull and Argyllshire with its rugged coastline and natural beauty. Here they passed on their celtic heritage to future Livingston generations and years later Roberta, Jewel and Barry and many others of Mull and Cape Breton Scottish origins have found themselves seeking information on their ancestors, their origins and family history. Regarding Angus Livingston 1773-1840 of Penmore? Kilninian, Mull a former sailor and Royal Navy veteran having served on the Royal George which was defending the English Channel during the Napoleonic War period, who in 1819 settled on Boularderie island in Victoria County, Cape Breton, the forum was in contact several years with Ann Capstick who is one of the descendants of Angus Livingston and has done much research on old Angus.

I think at this time I am confident that the Angus Livingstone who resided at the tenant settlement of Penmore in Kilninian Parish, on the North Mull coast in the County of Argyll, Scotland in the late 1700's and early 1800's is the same Angus Livingstone born abt. 1773 who arrived in Cape Breton in 1819 and received a land grant at Boularderie in Victoria County, Cape Breton.
After working with a group of dedicated Livingston researchers over the years and recently taking a second look at the information originating from both Nova Scotia and from Scotland it is my opinion that Angus Livingstone who came to Cape Breton in Sept. of 1819, a former sailor on the H.M.S. Royal George was Angus Livingstone of Penmore, Kilninian Parish, Northern Mull, Argyll, Scotland. ANgus Livingstone born abt. 1773 married Christina McLukas in 1796 in Kilninian Parish, Argyll location unknown but all of the children of Angus Livingstone and Christina McLukas were residing at Penmore at the time of their baptisms which took place from the year 1798 to 1815. In addition to a marriage record from 1796 which just states Livingston and McLukas the rest not legible, there was a marriage record for a Lachlan Livingston of Penmore in 1818 a year or so before the family of ANgus Livingston including one of his eldest sons Lachlan left in 1819 for Nova Scotia and settled in Cape Breton in Sept. of 1819 according to one of Angus Livingston land petitions in Cape Breton. The list of children below is based on the baptism entries I found for the children of Angus Livingston of Penmore and his wife Christina McLukas from the years 1798 to 1815. The only child I believed whose baptism is missing in the old Kilninian Parish book was the son Lachlan born abt. 1799 however with great luck I found the same Lachlan's marriage record an entry in the old parish book noting that Lachlan Livingston of Penmore married a Margaret Livingston on 1818. Subsequently in Lachlan's 1820 petition for a land grant in Cape Breton he mentions that he is age 21 and a new father with one child which fits very nicely with my notion that this is the Lachlan of Penmore, Kilninian Parish Mull Argyll who married in 1818 back in Mull, Scotland. Note that I included Lachlan with the baptism info of the other children and that we know the Lachlan that lived briefly in Cape Breton according to his land petition of 1820 was age 21 and therefore born abt. 1799 although no surviving birth or baptismal record exists. I have added him to the list of children from the baptism records so that all of ANgus Livingstone's children are documented.
The Scottish Parish Kilninian Parish, Mull, Argyll County Records
Angus Livingston and Christina (Christy) McLukas of Penmore, Kilninian Parish, Northern Mull
Angus Livingston b. 1773 of Kilninian Parish, Mull, Argyll, Scotland m. Christina McLukas on Feb. 8, 1796

Children: (Lachlan not listed in Baptism records but known to have been born in 1799 and Lachlan's 1818 marriage record before the Penmore family left Scotland in 1819 is in the Kilninian Parish records. A land petition from Cape Breton in the year 1820 indicates that the recently married elder son of ANgus is the father of one child likely his firstborn.)
1. Donald Levingston of Penmore bap. Nov. 12, 1798
2.Lachlan Livingstone of Penmore born abt. 1799? m. Margaret Livingstone Feb. 10, 1818 Penmore, Mull, Argyll (returned to Europe (Scotland?) in 1826 according to Cape Breton records)
3.Cathrine Livingstone of Penmore bapt. July 1, 1800
4. Archibald Livingston of Penmore bapt. Dec. 23, 1803 in Penmore, Kilninian Parish, Mull d.May 21,1891 Bras d'or, Victoria County, Cape Breton
married in Cape Breton Jane Beaton b. abt. 1806 in Argyll, Scotland d. Sept. 25, 1869 Bras D'or, Victoria County, Cape Breton
5. Rodger (Roderick?) Levingston of Penmore bapt. Dec. 20, 1805 Penmore d. 1870 Boularderie, Victoria County, Cape Breton m. Isabella Sutherland (1871 Can. Census mentions only Roderick's death in 1870. Age given at time 60 which would make his birth about 1810 but I believe that was an error recorded by a census taker a frequent occurrence in 19th century census records.
6. John Levingston of Penmore bapt. Dec. 20, 1805 (twins) (Roger (Roderick) and John were twins)
7. Alexander Levingston of Penmore bapt. Dec. 23, 1807 d. Sept. 1894 Big Bras d'or, Victoria County, Cape Breton
Mull married Isabella Deeson in Cape Breton
8. Anne Livingston of Penmore bapt. Nov. 6, 1809
9. Cathrine Livingstone of Penmore bapt. Sep. 4. 1811
10. Angus Livingstone of Penmore bapt. March 28, 1815

Angus Livingston from Kilninian Parish, Mull arrived in Cape Breton about 1819 and
received land at Boularderie in Victoria County,Cape Breton with several of his children and the known sons were Lachlan, Archibald, Roderick
and Alexander. One of the eldest sons of old ANgus of Boularderie, Lachlan born abt. 1799 returned to Europe (Scotland?) in 1826.

Early Cape Breton, (Nova Scotia) Information on Angus Livingston and family

1820 Land Petition Cape Breton
Angus Livingstone Petition to Ainslie
Petitioner a native of Scotland is married and has eight children. He has lived in Cape Breton since Sept. 1819. He served in the navy. He asks for a lot in the west side of Boularderie. Note: recommended name: Kilninian.

1820 Land Petition Cape Breton
Lachlan Livingstone Petition to Ainslie
Petitioner age 21 a native of Scotland is married and has one child. He has lived in Cape Breton about four months. He asks for a lot on the south side Great Bras d'Or Note: Recommended name Frackit Hill

1825 Land Petition Cape Breton
Archibald Livingstone Petition to Wallace
Petitioner is a native of Scotland 21 single and asks for a lot on the south side of Boularderie near the entrance of the Bras d'Or. The lot was formerly located to petitioner brother Lachlan who resigned it and has gone back to Europe. Note: A fishers lot 100 acres approved.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

Something I just thought of. Although it would that Angus Livingston and his wife Christian McLucas were residing at Penmore and Airds, Mull at the time of their marriage and when their children were born and baptized, a check of " Pennymore and Airds" in the Eric Creegan 1962 publication of the Inhabitants of Argyll in 1779 reveals that around the time Angus would have been a boy there were no Livingstons residing in Penmore and AIrds in Mull, so I would assume it quite likely that his Livingston family resided in the elsewhere in Mull. I don't know for certain he was actually born in 1773 and there are only baptism records no birth records I think in Kilninian Parish Church of Scotland records in the 1760's and 1770's and no birth record for Angus stating he was born in 1773. I think it just Cape Breton Livingston researchers have been relying on Angus Livingston's own statement in his 1826 Land petition as a Cape Breton Scottish colonist that he was 53 years of age in 1826 which would make his probable birth date if the statement was correct, about 1773.

regards,

Donald
jmlivingstone

Post by jmlivingstone »

Hi Donald,,

I had a look in the National Archives for info on Greenwich Pensioners, the rather unhelpful answer is as follows;

''The Royal Navy did not keep individual service records on ratings before 1853, nor did it maintain comprehensive registers of personnel, so records for ratings during this period are incomplete and patchy.''

Do you have any idea what rank Angus held, I did have a look at officers, had no luck there either.

I notice no one is stating definitely that dob was 1773, just circa 1773, so who knows, possibly an difference of 3-4 years, given the standard of record keeping in those days will prove 1769 correct, & not to be an error at all, stranger things have happened in the past.

Before I gave up on Ancestry, I did notice a few rather strange family trees, where little or no research had been carried out.

I think some of the confusion, possibly came from Keith, when he thought Angus from Canada was possibly related to himself, the research he had done helped point my thoughts on which Angus was the correct one, & made life easier for the rest of us.
A pity no one has managed to contact him for years, in my opinion, he did a lot of the initial research on Angus etc.,

John.