William Livingstone

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
RLivingstone

William Livingstone

Post by RLivingstone »

I am on Ancestry but cannot find anything on this gentleman, he is my paternal great grandfather. Doesn't help that his name is
pretty generic. I am currently waiting for results on a FOIA request that I submitted in early February; as of right now, the due date is early April for this request. Ancestry is giving me all kind of "hints" but I don't want to grab the wrong info and become hopeful. Below is listed what I do know:

William Livingstone
Birth: approx 1866
Death: approx 1906 or before

Wife: Mary Anna Treaster Livingstone Fuerbach (she remarried after William)
Wife was from Hannibal, Missouri
William was listed as a fireman in South Dakota
He had sons Earle, Guy, Raymond and Archie with Anna
Earle his son was born in South Dakota and later moved to and passed away in California.
Raymond was rumored to have died as a baby. Guy was my paternal grandfather and although
I don't remember him well, because he passed in 1969 in St Louis, Missouri, I have pics of us together
in the 60s.

I believe they lived in Sagammon Co, Springfield, Illinois for a time.... at least I know for sure that Anna
did. Not sure for William. Anna is buried in Springfield as well.

I recently learned from a newly discovered cousin, that Anna was to have said that William died in a railroad
accident but did not say where or when. I'm guessing he changed professions from a fireman to a railroad man
but again, that is not for sure.

Ancestry suggested that Peter Livingston and Janet Riddell from Canada were his parents but my gut is telling me to
be cautious about that info so I took it off my family tree until I can find something concrete. It was also suggested
that there was a connection to the Flax grower Livingston(e) family from Canada, which doesn't seem correct either.

I'm at a stand still with my great grandfather and its pretty discouraging actually. I am a Livingstone, with the "E" and
its important to me. Knowing these people and finding out for sure where my heritage lies is critical for me, emotionally
speaking. Its like these folks just dropped off the face of the earth for some reason! Any little tid bit of help in this
regard would be greatly appreciated.
Greg Livingston

Re: William Livingstone

Post by Greg Livingston »

As a fireman he probably shoveled the coal on the old steam locomotives as opposed to being in the fire department of a town. Especially true if living in a small town as they were usually volunteers.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
RLivingstone

Post by RLivingstone »

Greg Livingston wrote:As a fireman he probably shoveled the coal on the old steam locomotives as opposed to being in the fire department of a town. Especially true if living in a small town as they were usually volunteers.
I did not know that... and appreciate the insight. Gives me yet another place to look. Seems more than
logical, especially since my great grandmother told her people back then that William died in a railroad accident, I'm
assuming in/around Springfield, Illinois. He was listed as a fireman on a South Dakota census record, from
Deadwood, I believe.

Thank You!
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

You are welcome. If you know where he was born it might be possible to find his birth record or the census that could give information on his family. Our Historian, Donald Clink, might be able to find some more information for you. He helped me a few years ago.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA