Hugh Livingstone 1808

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
allanl

Re: Hugh Livingstone 1808

Post by allanl »

Oops. Typed this earlier on and didnt send.

thanks again.

The Hugh census of 1941 had the following people

Hugh Livingston Age 30
Catharine Livingston Age 50 his mother
Donald Mcleod Age 35 husband of Hughs sister Margaret
Margaret Mcleod (Livingstone) Age 25 His sister Margaret "Peggy" Mcleod. I managed to find a picture of her.
Charles Livingston Age 20 - his youngest brother
Flora Mcleod Age 5 Donald and Margarets child
Duncan Mcleod Age 4 M Donald and Margarets child

My next aim is to go research a little more on Hughs brothers and sisters. Although I have given up on the second oldest brother Neil at the moment as I have found nothing on him. I did get the marriage of Neil and an Isabella, but the parents did not match.
allanl

Post by allanl »

A couple of nice finds you have there. My father retired a few times in life and after his second he started to skipper dive boats and we would often dive out of or at Tobermory. He and his father were raised in Lochaline which is one of the ports for the most regular ferry to Mull. I spent most of my holidays when I was younger there with my Gran and Grampa and other relatives. Also the resting place of the famous Donald Livingstone.

I plan to visit Lochaline next year so will try and fit in a trip or two to Mull.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi allanl,

My Livingston 3rd great grandfather was a Miles Livingston a native Morvern Parish apparently connected to Livingston tenants that resided at Kilundine, Morvern and according to Y DNA testing of Livingston cousin a close match to a known descendant of the brother Ewen Livingston of Savary Morvern brother of the famous old Maclea Livingstone Jacobite who served with Appin Stewart Regiment during the 1745 rebellion old Jacobite Donald Livingston 1728-1816 of Savary Morvern. The Y DNA indicated that addition the predominately old Lismore and Appin Livingston family Y DNA match group connected to Chief's Bachuil Livingstone family of which you are matching there is also a second predominate group of Livingstons made up of mostly descendant of Maclea Livingstone who resided in Mull and neighbouring Morvern where my Livingston ancestor originated. My LIvingstton cousin closest Y DNA matches are not suprisingly 3 or 4 Livingstons who share a known Morvern Livingston ancestry and with and number of Livingstons with similar results of Mull, Argyll origin. So I had the Y DNA test of my Livingston cousin done back around 2006 so I could determine whether or not my Livingston family was related to Baron Livingstone of Bachuil, Lismore, Dr. David Livingstone of the Donald Livingston 1728-186 of Savary, Morvern as you mentioned buried in old Keil cemetery in the Lochaline area. As it turned out from Livingston cousin's test result he was no match with Baron Livingstone's Bachuil Lismore and related Appin Livingstons that had been tested or with the great nephew of Dr. David Livingstone who matched with a smaller third Livingston Y DNA match group after testing, and instead matched a large group of Livingstons with Livingston family roots in Morvern, and Mull and other neighbouring but curiously not with ancestral roots with the Lismore and Appin Livingstons it would appear so far from the YDNA test matches with my Livingston cousin's Y DNA match group.

My ancestor Miles Livingston was a boatbuilder in Argyllshire and was recruited by a highland agent of the Scottish Lord Selkirk in 1811 for Selkirk's second settlement to be established along the forks of the Red River on Hudson Bay Company land acquired by Lord Selkirk in British North America near present day Winnipeg, Manitoba. Miles arrived with his son from his first marriage and his wife Janet (Jessie) and another Livington boatbuilder relative in 1812 and in 1815 made his way by canoe with family to Upper Canada departing Selkirk's Red River Colony where he remained and he and wife Janet raised a family. That is the origins of my Morvern Argyll Livingston ancestor setting in British North America late known as Canada. As I am descended from highland Argyllshire Maclea- Livingstones but neither I nor my father are Livingstons possessing the necessary Livington Y DNA to do the Y DNA test, I took the option of finding a known and proven Livingston cousin and also a descendant of my ancestor Miles Livingston to do the familytree Y DNA test back around 2006 or thereabouts.

A trip to Mull and neighbouring Morvern sounds like a great idea. I did not realize that your more recentLivingston family resided in the Western Argyllshire area, so many of the Livingstone tenants that resided the parishes of Western Argyllshire including those in Morvern and the neighbouring parishes of Mull were either cleared by their landlords in the 19th century or subsequently left to escape extreme poverty for a better life in Canada, the U.S. or Australia. The potato crop failure in the latter part of the 1840's hit Mull and Morvern particularly hard and there was much suffering, famine and disease taking its toll among the tenant farmers and their families. By the end of that decade and early 1850's many were taking the option to depart Scotland altogether to help put an end to their misery. The reports on the conditions in Mull at the time are very disturbing indeed and there is every reason to believe that the Scottish government did not do enough to assist the struggling tenants in their time of greatest need. In the end for many emigration seem the only option available to these tenants. It did help the cause of impoverished tenants in highland Argyllshire that most of the newspapers from lowland Scotland were biased against the struggling tenant farmers in Argyllshire and depicted the crofters as lazy and incapable of supporting themselves and their families. I found one really interesting book which well documented the prejudices held in the lowlands in the press regarding the poor highland tenants in the 1800's. Years later there was a Government inquiry and eventually some measure of land reform in the highlands but by then it much too late to be of help to the tenant farmers and most had long since been cleared from their land and had abandoned their field stone crofts and gone to lowland Scotland, Canada, America or Australia primarily.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi allanl,

Ok you must be 107563 who was of Mull Livingston ancestry and 37 marker match with the those in the Bachuil Livingstone Y DNA match group. I remember noticing some years ago with interest one of the matches apparently had some roots in Mull, Argyll. I was looking at the Livingston matches connected directly apparently to the Bachuil Lismore Livingston and that ancestral family group in Lismore and one Livingston of neighbouring Appin Argyllshire ancestry who is also matching to rather closely and is also part the Bachuil Lismore Appin Livingstone match group and I was how your Mull Livingston family ancestrally connected with those Livingstons of Lismore and Appin.

Probably never know, but it is the wonder of Y DNA testing that it matches many Livingston families who did not know at all of early ancestral Livingston family origins in Argyllshire. What I know of the family history of the Llvingston families I am studying in terms of the Argyllshire Livingston families is mostly limited to surviving 18th and 19th century Argyllshire Church of Scolland parish records and the 19th century census record beginning in 1841 and the very detailed birth, marriage and death records of the Scottish registry commencing around the year 1855. But that info has helpful as it is does not tell of earlier origins of those Livingstons residing in the 18th and 19th century in various parishes in Western Argyle. I was working not too long with a Livingston of Mull ancestry whose Y DNA testing confirmed they are actually much closer related to the old Maclea Livingstons of neighbourin Morvern though most of those of Mull Livingston share similar Y DNA with those Livingstons who ancestors lived in neighbouring Morvern with a couple of exceptions including you. Y DNA testing results can often lead to surprising unexpected discoveries and some past assumption by our Clan have I think been proven wrong by the testing a good number of Livingstons descended from Livingstons who lived in number of parishes in Argyllshire. There are definite patterns to the Y DNA results of Argyllshire Livingston descendant tested with Y DNA test but for sure there are going to be Y DNA results that defy the anticipated pattern. I do find the Y DNA match trends significant and interesting but I totally expected some Livingstons of Argyllshire origin to not match with any of the three predominate Livingston match groups with Livingstons in them of Argyllshire Livingston ancestry. I can say that if i knew back then what I know now about the 3 predominate match group connected to Livingstons of Argyllshire origin I could have told you back you were tested that could a match with either the Mull/ Morvern match group known as Parker Livingston group that my Morvern livingston cousins and most LIvignstons of Mull origin are with, or with the Bachuil Lismore and Appin Match group or with third small group of Livingstons known as the Dr. LIvingstone Match group which consists of one Livingston of Mull origin and most of the Argyll Livingstons tested with this third match group of Southern Argyll Isle of Islay ancestry and also some most interestingly of Ulster Northern Ireland ancestry. In fact you were a match with one the three Y DNA match group I am studying the Bachuil Lismore and Appin Y DNA match group so I would have been correct.

regards,

Donald
allanl

Post by allanl »

Canadian Livingstone wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:49 pm Hi allani,

My Livingston 3rd great grandfather was a Miles Livingston a native Morvern Parish apparently connected to Livingston tenants that resided at Kilundine, Morvern and according to Y DNA testing of Livingston cousin a close match to a known descendant of the brother Ewen Livingston of Savary Morvern brother of the famous old Maclea Livingstone Jacobite who served with Appin Stewart Regiment during the 1745 rebellion old Jacobite Donald Livingston 1728-1816 of Savary Morvern. The Y DNA indicated that addition the predominately old Lismore and Appin Livingston family Y DNA match group connected to Chief's Bachuil Livingstone family of which you are matching there is also a second predominate group of Livingstons made up of mostly descendant of Maclea Livingstone who resided in Mull and neighbouring Morvern where my Livingston ancestor originated. My LIvingstton cousin closest Y DNA matches are not suprisingly 3 or 4 Livingstons who share a known Morvern Livingston ancestry and with and number of Livingstons with similar results of Mull, Argyll origin. So I had the Y DNA test of my Livingston cousin done back around 2006 so I could determine whether or not my Livingston family was related to Baron Livingstone of Bachuil, Lismore, Dr. David Livingstone of the Donald Livingston 1728-186 of Savary, Morvern as you mentioned buried in old Keil cemetery in the Lochaline area. As it turned out from Livingston cousin's test result he was no match with Baron Livingstone's Bachuil Lismore and related Appin Livingstons that had been tested or with the great nephew of Dr. David Livingstone who matched with a smaller third Livingston Y DNA match group after testing, and instead matched a large group of Livingstons with Livingston family roots in Morvern, and Mull and other neighbouring but curiously not with ancestral roots with the Lismore and Appin Livingstons it would appear so far from the YDNA test matches with my Livingston cousin's Y DNA match group.
My knowledge is increasing. At some point I will have to force myself to look at DNA in more detail :) At the moment studying AI is time consuming enough :)

I used to fish the trout river at Savary a lot when I was younger.

Savary is adjacent to an area known as Fiunary where my grandfather was brought and up where my Dad and his sister were also raised in a place called fuinary cottage which is now a holiday home and is now double the size (2 rooms now!) than it was when I was younger - https://www.lodging-world.com/uk/hotels ... nin-114848

My grandfather was raised about 100 yards from this and his house was renovated and still lived in today. As far as I know the doctor who owns it has still refused to get electricity connected to it.

Just outside lochaline a lot of families were cleared from a village that was only recently rediscovered- https://forestryandland.gov.scot/learn/ ... -inniemore

If you go from that village and go over a large hill then it takes you to Savary.

These clearances meant a lot of the locals ended up in Canada and America.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi allanl,
I did a lot of research on Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary and wrote a detailed history of his life and I will try to locate that. It took a lot of research of the Scottish records but I eventually located one Livingston residing in Renfrewshire is a direct descendant of Donald Livingstone's son Adam and he told me that his Aunt also determined that some years ago now that their Livingstone family of Savary, Morvern origins descended from Donald Livingston. I also located a descendant of Donald Livingstone's brother Ewen (Hugh) Livingstone who like Donald was also is listed as resident of Savary, Morvern in an Argyllshire 1775 Census.and this gentleman who lives in Texas when Y DNA tested was a YDNA close match to my own Livingstone cousin who is also of Morvern, Argyll ancestry. Neither of them however is a match with the Bachuil Lismore and Appin Y DNA match which you are a match with. There is no question this Bachuil Lismore and Appin Livingston you are matching with somehow ancestrally you and others Livingston matches in your group with some ancestors of our Clan Chief Baron of Bachuil Niall Livingstone who resides at the ancestral home at Bachuil on the Isle of Lismore in Western Argyll. He and his wife were running a bed and breakfast in his ancestral home last time I checked and they will no doubt be most welcoming to members of our Clan like yourself. Worth checking out if your planning an excursion of a few days visiting Mull and Morvern in the future.

If I do a count of the censused Livingstone/Livingston residents residing in Morvern Parish from the period of the 1841 Census to the Census of 1901 it is indicator of a dramatic decrease in Livingstones/Livingstons leaving Morvern and 1901. In the 1841 Census there 90 residents of Morvern Parish by the name Livingstone, Livingston or Levingston. In the 1851 Census there are 79 Livingstone, Livingston, Levingston residents of Morvern Parish. In the 1861 Census there are 69 Livingstone, Livingston or Levingston residents of Morvern Parish. In the 1871 Census there are interestingly only 25 Livingstone, Livingston or Levingston residents of Morvern Parish. By the the time of the 1901 Census I counted only 12 residents by the name of Livingstone, Livingston or Levingston still residing in the Parish of Morvern. I don't have the info for the 1911 Census but I don't imagine their numbers increased in the early twentieth century in Morvern. Appears that between the year 1861 and 1871 there was a particularly dramatic increase in Livingston tenants departing from their crofts in Morvern Parish from 69 to 25 some probably from evictions by landlords at the time. Sheep farming in the 19th century in the highlands found to be quite profitable was much more desirable to landlords than having struggling impoverished tenant farmers occupying their land and barely able to pay their rent.

regards,

Donald
allanl

Post by allanl »

The decrease in Livingstone numbers is certainly quite dramatic.

Looking at my main ancestral line Duncan Livingstone (1853) moved to Greenock between 1861 and 1871 to work as a boiler maker. This is probably no great surprise because if my memory serves me right then about 40% of the working population in Scotland was employed around the river Clyde during the boat building era. Duncans first born Hugh 1874 was brought up with his Grandmother (Mary McMaster) and Step Grandfather in Tobermory. He would then come and live next to his father and raise his children in Greenock. His wife Jean McPhee returned to Morvern with all the children before 1921.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi allanl,

As mentioned earlier regarding that Mull Genealogy info I should point out there is no actual OPR (Original Parish Register) entry in the Kilninian Parish, Mull Church of Scotland records of a son Duncan Livingston of Neil Livingston and Mary Morrison. It was however stated in an 1892 letter by Dr. Livingstone's brother John Livingstone that their grandparents Neil Livingston and Mary Morrison had a son named Duncan. John Livingstone also mentioned that he believed their was also a son of his grandparents whose name was Donald. I have done extensive research on the most likely possible son Donald Livingston of Neil Livingston and Mary Morrison and was about to sort some confusion created by an earlier historian from the late 19th century regarding this Donald Livingston and found some parish record info on him and his wife and some proof as to some of his origins and his probable family connection to Neil Livingston and Mary Morrison and to both Mull Argyll and later Blantyre. Lanarkshire like that of Neil Livingston and Mary Morrison. Oddly enough a late 19th century Argyll historian wrote an account on the highland Livingstone family in the early 20th century including some stories about the Livingstons from some Livingstons he had talked to in the 19th century and one Livingston told him some inaccurate information regarding Donald Livingston and his wife which has ended up contributing to much confusion regarding the ancestral origins of Dr. David Livingstone. I have made every effort to try and make known this error years ago now by this late 19th century Argyll historian regarding Neil Livingston and Mary Morrison's probable son Donald Livingston and his wife Catharine Livingston.

If one looks further into that Mull Genealogy information regarding Duncan Livingston as I did it looks like the source is either unknown or submitted to Mull Genealogy by a Livingston researcher but not verified as being in the Scottish OPR's in particular in the original surviving Kilninian Church of Scotland Parish, Mull entries of children of Dr. Livingstone's grandparents Neil Livingston Sr. and Mary Morrison prior to their departure in 1792 for the village of Blantyre in lowland Lanarkshire where Neil Livingston Sr. found work in the cotton mill of the Monteith family. I have found that at least two of their children are missing from the Kilninian Parish records including a Duncan Livingston and a Donald Livingston stated in 1892 by Dr. Livingstone's older brother John as being two of the children of his grandfather Neil Livingston Sr. and his grandmother Mary Morrison. Some of the family tree on the one page is definitely derived from OPR's but the linkage in that family tree on the one page you sent me from Mull Genealogy stating that Hugh Livingston's father Duncan Livingston of Kilninian Parish who married Catharine McDonald was a son of the Duncan Livingston thought to be a son of Neil Livingston and Mary Morrison grandparents of Dr. David Livingstone and his older brother John. Interestingly although Dr. Livingstone's older brother John Livingstone stated that had an Uncle named Duncan Livingston he does not mention a birth date and it is important for researchers and Mull Genealogy to be aware that there is actually no surviving birth or baptismal entry by the Kilninian Parish minister in the 1770's for a child of Neil Livingston and Mary Morrison named Duncan, although I believe it probably quite likely there was based on the list of children of Neil Livingston and Mary Morrison included in 1792 letter written in Canada by Dr. Livingston's elderly brother John Livingston several years prior to his death in 1899.

I know that Mull Genealogy has proven to helpful to a number of the Livingston descendants who have visited our Forum over the years, but I thought that the info linking your ancestor Duncan Livingston to Dr. Livingstone's grandfather should be clarified. And since you some years ago now did the Y DNA test that some Bachuil Lismore and related Appin Livingstone's also did and also a proven descendant of Dr. Livingstone's older brother John Livingstone 1811-1899 we discovered from comparing Y DNA results that Dr. Livingstone and his grandfather Neil Livingstone husband of Mary Morrison did not share the same paternal Livingstone ancestry in Argyllshire and are not if you like blood relatives. So the one of the advantages of my efforts to locate and have tested a proven descendant of Dr. Livingstone's grandfather Neil Livingstone is that a comparison of Y DNA test results with yours helps to rule out pretty much any possibility that your Livingston family in Kilninian Parish, Mull was connected to Neil Livingstone and Mary Morrison as seems to be suggested in that Mull Genealogy information.But what you did find out for your efforts to do the YDNA is that you are related to our Clan Chief Niall Livingstone Baron of Bachuil resident of Bachuil, Isle of Lismore, Argyll.

The Y Testing my own Livingstone cousin of nearby Morvern, Argyll origin I discovered that my Morvern, Argyll Maclea- Livingstone ancestors were not related to the Bachuil Lismore Livingstones or the Livingstone ancestors of Dr. David Livingstone and his brother John Livingstone, but share Morvern Maclea Livingstone ancestry with the legendary Morvern Livingstone Jacobite of the 1745 Rebellion, Donald Livingstone 1728-1816 of Savary, Morvern who is believed descended from Achnacree, Argyll Macleas who settled in nearby Savary, Morvern Parish by about 1600. That origin story I sourced to elderly nieces of old Donald Livingstone born in the 1770's and 1780's in Morvern, Argyll who settled in the United States before the mid 1800's and were said to have spent time with their elderly Uncle Donald Livingstone of Savary who along with other family members in their youth in the late 1700's and early 1800's would have told the two Livingstone nieces some history info regarding their family. Some have suggested that the old Achnacree Maclea Livingstone family might not be related to the ancient Lismore Maclea Livingstone family and Y DNA results interestingly seem to suggest that is the case. The interesting detail I have also noticed from my Livingstone cousin's Y DNA test results is that most (but not all) Maclea Livingstones Y DNA tested of known 18th and 19th century neighbouring Mull, Argyll ancestry are also closely matched to Maclea Livingstones tested whose 18th and 19th century Maclea Livingstone ancestors resided in Morvern Parish.

There is no substitute to having the resource of detailed family history information and genealogy, but the Y DNA testing also has it's own benefits I believe in assisting Livingstones/Livingstons worldwide both of highland Argyllshire Maclea Livingstone and of a number of lowland Livingston family origins. Interestingly, the Y DNA testing has attracted a number of Livingstons whose genealogy suggests they are of "Scotch-Irish Livingston origin descendants probably of Lowland Livingston families of Ayrshire, Scotland origin that settled in the 1600's Ulster, Ireland during the Plantation Period. I have stressed over the years the importance not only of researching the Argyllshire Livingstones but also the origins of the smaller groups of Livingston families who resided in lowland Scotland in the 1600's 1700's and 1800's whose origins are not entirely clear and that have been largely overlooked in the past.

I can not tell you how delighted I am that you contacted the Forum recently as I was aware of the early Bachuil Livingstone match group results from some years ago now and had noticed that there was most interestingly one Livingstone match with 19th and likely 18th century Mull, Argyll origins which I had not expected as most Livingstones of Mull and neighbouring Morvern ancestry match with a Livingstone match group of mostly Mull and neighbouring Morvern Argyll ancestry. You are the second Livingston of Mull ancestry who has not matched with that Mull Morvern Livingstone Y DNA match group. Not unexpected though as I anticipated not all Mull Livingstons tested would be a match with the predominate Mull Morvern Livingstone match group. Livingstones moved from parish to parish in the centuries past so it seems likely then that the ancestors of your ancestor Duncan Livingston perhaps even Duncan Livingston resided at one in Lismore or neighbouring Appin parish and later migrated away the Lismore/Appn area of his ancestral family and ended up in Mull. What the Y DNA test does not tell us is when your Lismore/Appin Bachuil Livingstones left that area of Western Argyll. That I am unable to tell your either from your YDNA test or from the surviving Parish records. I am afraid that details regarding ancestor Duncan Livingston origins and that of his ancestors were remain unknown except for the fact that Y DNA has clearly established your ancestral Livingston roots are with the same Lismore/Appin ancestors as our Clan Chief's ancient Bachuil Lismore Maclea Livingstone family which I think in itself is very exciting and interesting thing for you to have discovered in your Y DNA testing results. In many case the Y DNA testing is well worth the cost I think. It has also proven helpful to me in the case of my Livingstone cousin's Y DNA test results and as mentioned I very much would encourage you to take the next step have additional markers tested and do the Familytreedna Y DNA 111 marker test to get more precise results. As you may have noticed more recently in your Y DNA results Baron Livingstone has also done the Y DNA family tree DNA and he is now also included in the Y DNA matches with other tested Bachuil Lismore and Appin Livingstones in the past in the Bachuil Livingstone Y DNA match group. How many Livingstone matches do you currently have on your matches page at the 37 marker test level?

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Canadian Livingstone

Hi allanl,

Your Livingstone family was relatively unique in the fact that they returned to Western Argyll in the early 20th century. I would think not very many of the old tenant Maclea Livingstone families that had lived in Western Argyll ever returned to reside there. I am glad for your grandfather your father and yourself in that you were all fortunate enough to fully experience the Morvern and Mull of your ancestors. Beyond the Bachuil Livingstones that had resided for many centuries at their ancestral home at Bachuil on the nearby Isle of Lismore and perhaps a handful of other Maclea Livingstones I would not expect there to have been very many remaining after 1901 but I don't have any sources for precise information regarding the Livingstone/Livingston population in Western Argyllshire in the 20th century.

regards,

Donald
allanl

Post by allanl »

Canadian Livingstone wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:03 pm How many Livingstone matches do you currently have on your matches page at the 37 marker test level?

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Historian
Clan Maclea Livingstone Society
Thanks again for such a detailed response. Was back to work this week so just catching up again.

I think I found the possible Duncan link through a DR Livingstone website a while back and just put that down on my tree at the moment and had always planned to go back to it. Its not a big deal know that there isnt a link here. My grandfather used to talk about a link to the Dr Livingstone family (probably like so many others with the Livingstone surname!). But all I remember him saying that we werent directly descended from him. Where he got this information or who passed that to him is anyone guess.

When I was researching the first time around I remember finding 2 marriages for a Duncan Livingstone and a Catharine McDonald around the correct time and area that I was doing. The website I used to use was http://www.scotsorigins.com/ That looks like it has gone to findmypast about 6 years ago. That used to be the best search I found at the time. Then once I had found what I was after I would use the scotlandpeople website to find the actual document. Scotlandpeople website search I find to be very poor.

On the familytreedna I have 6 matches for the 37 markers that have livingstone in their name