Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello everyone,

Everyone find their way? Didn't know what to call my first message so I thought I start with Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone research so you would all be able to find me. I guess Ill start where I left behind discussing Barry Judson's Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and PEI ancestors. Roberta and I were discussing a Catharine Livingston age 75 in the 1891 PEI Census at Lot 30, Queens County, PEI and whether she could Colin Livingston's wife. This is not Colin's wife but the widow of a John Livingston born abt. 1814 who was a grandson of PEI Livingston Pioneers Donald and Mary Livingston who were from both Morvern and Mull and settled in Queens County, Lot 65 Nine Mile Creek in the early 1800's. Ralph Livingston is by the way a descendant of this Donald and Mary Livingston. Colin's wife Catharine has been a challenge because she has eluded us so far in the PEI Census records. She likely died before 1901 and my thoughts are checking a PEI death index in the 1890's and any available cemetery records for Kings County, PEI where her two sons ANgus and John resided in the late 1800's. I dont think she returned to Colin Livingston's old neighbourhood of Whycocomagh, Inverness County, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia where he was living in the 1860's before he died in PEI in 1867, but it is worth checking out. I will mention this to our Inverness County, Cape Breton Livingston expert Dr. St. Clair next time I am touch with him.

regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Roberta Ann

Re: Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Post by Roberta Ann »

Donald this Catherine died in PEI in 1892.

Roberta
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

You asked me if I had access to the 1901 census. I do and I posted all the inhabitants on Lot 30 on the old Forum. Do you have any thoughts about this Daniel McLea Livingstone age 6 - 1901?

Roberta Ann Livingstone
Canadian Livingstone

Hi ROberta,

Sorry I kinda answered your question regarding Daniel McLea Livingstone in my other message to you. Great to have found a Prince Edward Island Livingstone family the 1901 Canadian Census who acknowledged their Maclea Livingstone origins by naming a son Maclea Livingstone. Daniel and his father Angus Livingston are descendants of Donald and Mary Livingstone who according to one family researcher the family records indicate Morvern origins with the family settling at Mull sometime before the early 1800's when they settled in Prince Edward Island.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Donald;

What family records are you talking about? Roberta
Livingstone_PEI

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hey Donald

Check the photo gallery. I posted those documents there. We should have a seperate category for documents.

Barry
Canadian Livingstone

HI Roberta,

I was referring to the highly detailed research of John Collins who you were in touch with earlier. He has done some extensive,indepth research of pioneer PEI Livingstone settlers Donald and Mary Livingston of Nine Mile Creek, Lot 65 Queens County, PEI and their descendants. You have probably seen his website with information on this and related families of the Donald. John apparently has dug up alot of old records to back his family research on the Donald. It was John Collins that found in the records that although the family lived at Mull it was also stated that Donald and some of his children originated from Morvern. John understood that the family moved to Mull sometime before they left for Prince Edward Island in 1806 I think it was. We are truly indebted as a Clan Society to researchers like John Collins and Dr. St. Clair who have helped to lay a foundation for future researchers like yourself and Barry with a great interest in Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia Livingston history.

Have a nice weekend.

regards,

Donald
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

Have added two document folders
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry,

Thank-you for those land records. Clearly Colin had owned land at Forest Hill at the time of death in 1867 and the farm was located in Lot 55, Kings County, Prince Edward Island. Unless it is lost there must be an earlier record in an old land book in Kings County or at PEI archives recording a purchase of this farm by Colin Livingston presumingly in the 1860's, but possibly before. That record will indicate where Colin was living in the 1860's or whenever he purchased his property at Lot 55, Kings County. This record will likely be an earlier land book from the 1860's or earlier and is probably now housed in the PEI archives. They can tell you whether or not they have this record from an alphabetical land index probably or whether the land office in Kings County still has the original book with the entry. You really need to find this record as it may mention offer further proof that Colin was a resident in Whycocomagh and establish when he went to PEI. From Catharine's transaction from 1892 we know that Colin was indeed a resident of Forest Hill, Lot 55, Kings County, PEI and was not just visiting his sons when he died according to the Obituary in 1867.

In regards to land records pertaining to the Whycocomagh Livingstons I got the impression that there were no land records so I am curious just how they came be on that property at Skye Mountain and the details. I will ask Dr. St. Clair about this again.

John Livingston who received land at Georgetown, PEI in 1803 was one of the earliest Livingston settlers in PEI mentioned in the records along with Roberta's ancestor John Livingston and thus had caught my attention and curiosity when you mentioned about this land record you found.

Thanks again,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hello Baron,

Thanks for that.

regards,

Donald