Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Livingstone_PEI

Re: Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Post by Livingstone_PEI »

Hi Donald

I found something and I would like your opinion on it. It is a death certificate for an Ann Livingston and she is living in New York after the death of her husband Alexander of Cape Breton. The peron looking after the burial arrangements is Duncan Livingston.

What do you think? Is it the same Alexander Livingston from Whycocomagh. It sure looks like it.

Barry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry,

Let me get back to you on that. I may have a death date for ALexander and ANn and if not Dr. St. Clair as he related to them should have some details as he lives not far from where their Skye Mountain, Whycocomagh, Cape Breton farm was. He if anyone would know when they died and where they were buried.

By the way if you are looking for summer reading for your summer holidays may suggest Lucille Campey's book "A Very Fine Class of Immigrants -Prince Edward Island's Scottish Pioneers 1770 to 1830". It was originally published in 2001 with a second edition that came out in 2007. I think that PEI Books may still have some stock of it. If not you can always google to find an online book dealer elsewhere with a copy brand new or used. I know I have probably mentioned it before on the other forum but it is a good book.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry,

I have the PEI Livingston files now. Sorry I was bit slow on the technical aspect.Thank-you for taking the time and trouble to send the via the forum. Definitely John Livingston 1803 Georgetown and I noticed a lot number and range which is helpful. Very interesting. I am looking at this one tonight. I looked at the COlin Livingston widow land record the other day. It is too bad that there is no earlier land record showing the original land transaction whereby Angus Livingston's father Colin acquired the land in PEI. I will get back to later regarding the questions I sent to Dr. St. Clair when I hear back from him.

regards,

Donald
Livingstone_PEI

Yes

I would love to have found the original, but I didn't have the family names before, so I am still happy. Sometimes I stumble across stuff, so don't give up hope.

Also I received this from Krista at the Beaton Institute. I'll have to find someone with an account or who is an member.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good morning Barry,

I actually located Collen Livingston on the Cape Breton Genealogy and
Historical Association website (http://www.cbgha.org). Unfortunately, if you
are not a member you cannot access the transcribed census records. I could
not locate his name on our microfilmed census for 1861 for the Whycocomagh
area. I searched the microfilm twice without success.

Unfortunately, the Beaton Institute does not loan out any of it's materials
or documents. You may want to check with Nova Scotia Archives and Records
Management in Halifax to see if they would be willing to loan you documents
that would be helpful with your search.

All the best,

Krista Smith
Student Archival Researcher
Beaton Institute
Cape Breton University
P.O. Box 5300
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Canada B1P 6L2
Telephone: 902-563-1329
Phone Toll Free: 1-888-959-9995, Ext. 1329
Fax: 902-562-8899
Canadian Livingstone

HI Barry,

Sounds like a good organization. I think I might join it sometime soon just to have access to all that Cape Breton Genealogy info. I mean how can it actually cost. I dont know anyone who is a member sorry to say. I will ask Dr. St. Clair if he is a member and get back to you on that. Interesting she could not find on the 1861 Census. You know that census is hard to read and I could not understand how it broken down by town, village and district. I did not see Colin either but I hard time finding anyone for that matter. Seems strange that someone would list Colin as Collen if he was not infact listed in this census. You should know that Dr. St. Clair a 50 year vet of Cape Breton research had not found Colin in the 1861 Census so I am worried about this. Hopefully we can find him in there. Makes sense that he would be in there but?

I thought you told me that you dont have any Livingston relatives still living?

regards,

Donald
Livingstone_PEI

Oh no.

I have Uncles Archibald and John (Jackie) Livingstone. They each have one son each too. It is interesting out of a family in which I have over 30 1st cousins on my Livingstone side only two have the Livingstone name. I just have to raise the money for the test, and I think it will be doeable. I will get the DNA test done hopefully in the not too distant future.

Barry
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Livingstone_PEI wrote:Oh no.

I have Uncles Archibald and John (Jackie) Livingstone. They each have one son each too. It is interesting out of a family in which I have over 30 1st cousins on my Livingstone side only two have the Livingstone name. I just have to raise the money for the test, and I think it will be doeable. I will get the DNA test done hopefully in the not too distant future.

Barry
Remember if you have any questions just email me or PM me through the forum and I'm happy to help answer any!

Kyle
DNA co-admin
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

HI Barry,

That would be fantastic if you could get your PEI Livingstone cousins to do the test. As Kyle and Andrew from the DNA project have pointed out to me, if the 67 marker test if too costly you can always start with the 37 marker test. Believe me it is worth every penny and I think you will find it interesting.

Given that that some Cape Breton Livingstones are matching up closely to my Livingston cousin whom I had recently tested I would more than glad to see if your cousins DNA matches up with other Livingstones of suspected Mull origin. I may be able to get you a copy of the original document from Mull Scotland that was in possession of the ALexander Livingston family of Skye Mountain Whycocomagh but if not I have a typed copy of it from Dr. St. Clair. IF I correct this John Livingston and Catharine Campbell from Kilninian and Kilmore Parish, Mull mentioned in the document are your ancestor. And there is no reason why the descendants of Alexander and Ann Livingstone would have a copy of this original document from Mull unless ALexander was the son of this John and Catharine Livingston as we know John Livingston Jr. born abt 1800 or 1808 from Mull River was for certain. ANd if i am correct also your ancestor COlin was a son.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry,

So in Kings County prince edward island by the time of the 1901 census we have basically two families. At Lot 55 we have your ancestor Angus levingston and his wife catharine as we discussed in the old forum and his brother john livingston born august 15 1846 and his wife margaret born january 1 1840

The other family is that of Joseph Livingston born \march 13,1834 and his wife \mary born april 10 1834. Joseph Livingston is located in Lot 53 probably near Georgetown and is if I recall from the documents you located kin to the pioneerJohn Livingston who was granted land in the Lot 53 Georgetown area in 1803.

It is great that you were able to locate the old land documents on these two familes to try and sort them out. As far as we know your family is connected to the Mull River/Whycocomagh Livingstons that originated from Mull River and arrived at Mull River, Inverness County, Cape Breton in the 1820's. I dont believe you are connected to the old Georgetown PEI Livingston family of John Livingston. Your PEI roots actually originate in Inverness County, |Cape Breton in my oppinion.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry,

I wanted to get back to some of your questions regarding the documents you located and passed some info on the Dr. St. Clair but unfortunately he dealing with some illness in the family at the moment. I am hoping to get back to you with more info on Alexander of Whycocomagh and that New York document you found that may pertain to that family at that time.
regards,

Donald