Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Jewel

Re: Nova Scotia/PEI Livingstone Research

Post by Jewel »

Hello Maryanne,

I would be happy to help you in anyway that I can, I just need to understand a little more clearly what we are looking for.
I saw a post by Donald stateing that Duncan Livingstone born abt. 1841 on P.E.I.married a Mary O'Connel and went to Boston.

Then I saw a post by Barry that stated that Duncan married a Mary McDonald. I did see a marriage for Duncan Livingstone and a Mary McDonald in 1874 and gave Duncan's age as being 31.
They had a son John Hugh also born in 1874.
If I understand this correctly Duncan married Mary McDonald first and then left her and married a Mary Agnes O'Connel.

I did a search for the U.S. census for the Boston area and found no Duncan Livingstone born in Canada.

I did find a Duncan Livingstone wife is Mary A. in the 1900 census but it was in Illinois,both Duncan and wife Mary A. were born Canada. Duncan was born in Nov. 1844 and his wife Mary A. was born in Sept. 1843. The conflict comes here, the census stated they have been married for 35 years. This couple were both born in Canada and then In the 1900 census it gave their 4 children being born in different states. First child was born New York,second child born Ohio, third child born Wisconsin and the fourth child born in Illinois, so this family did move around quite a bit.

Do you know anything else about how long Duncan stayed with his wife Mary McDonald? I checked the 1881 canadian census to see if he was still in Canada at that time but culdn't find him.

Anyway just thought I would pass this info along and maybe you can add some more information that might help.

Regards Jewel
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Anyone,

Am I going crasy? I know about an hour ago I read a post from Maryanne in responce to my previous post in regards to her Duncan Livingstone and now it's gone. What happened? Someone please tell me I haven't lost my mind.

Jewel
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Good morning Donald;

Nova Scotia Vital Statistics: 1874 Book 1831 Page 111 #77

June 24, 1874, Vale Colliery, by License, Presb.

Duncan Livingston age 31 B. Miner Residence Vale Colliery, born Cape Breton. Son of John and Catherine, Farmer married

Mary McDonald age 24 S. Residence Antigonish, daughter of Alexander and Mary, Farmer

Witness: Thomas Cumming, Donald McPherson, Rev. Robert Cumming.

This is how I understand this epilogue?

Mary was pregnant by Duncan ergo "shotgun marriage" I iterate, according to Barry. They left for Boston where Hugh was born. Duncan left Mary and Hugh and took-up with Mary Agnes O'Connell; who I believe was born in Halifax.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi ROberta,

Thanks for that. That is great having that marriage record verifying this Duncan is infact the son of John and Catharine. What evidence do we have that this is the same Duncan that married Mary O'Connell and ended up in Boston?

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

1874 Book 1818 Page 311 # 516

John Hugh Livingstone b. July 29, 1874, Vale Colliery.

father; Duncan Livingstone

Mother; Mary McDonald - May 10?, 1784----Informant: Hugh Livingstone.

I will get back to you regarding your question about Mary Agnes O'Connell.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,
Thanks for your earlier information. I am curious about this Nova Scotia and Massachussetts connection as well and would like to know more about it.
One can edit or delete posts as I do from time to time where there are some errors but I did not see a recent one from Mary Ann just the original one she sent. Her private message to me did not go through for some reason, so Kyle had me e-mail her. I would like to know all the details about Mary Ann's family history as it apparently connects to Duncan son of John Livingston Jr. 1800-1860? and old Kate Catharine Livingston of Mull River. As of yet I have not heard from her.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

I believe Jewel found Duncan and Mary Agnes O'Connell in the U.S. and their children born in various States.

I also believe that Duncan was still married to Mary McDonald when he took-up with Mary Agnes who was Irish and maybe Catholic. I am just spectulating but I don't think Duncan married Mary Agnes.

Regards;

Roberta
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I have gone through the census looking for a Duncan Livingston(e) for all of Massachusetts for the years 1880,1900,1910,1920 and found nothing that matches up.

Take a look and see what you think. The closest match I found for a Duncan Livingston and wife Mary A. (both born Canada) was for the state of Illinois in the 1900 census but the mariage doesn't match up as it stated they have been maried for 35 years.

In the 1880 census state of Mass. census no Duncan Livingston/e

In the 1900 census for Mass. no Duncan Livingston listed

In the 1910 census for Mass. Boston, Suffolk County: Duncan Livingston age 25 b. 1885 in Boston Mass wifeMary with 2 children James D. and Alice E ( this is the son of James and Prudential Livingston who were born Scotland.

1910 Census Springfield, County of Hampden, Mass.
Duncan Livingstone age 29 & wife Margaret age 29, both born Scotland, children Jeanie 11 b. Scotland, Agnes 9 b. Scotland and Archibald age 3 b. New York.

1910 Duncan Livingston age 39 b. canada a boarder in Essex County, Bloucester,Mass a fisherman.

1920 Census for Middlesex County Cambridge Mass. Duncan Livingston b. canada age 29 border living alone.

That's what I found so I guess we need more information.

Jewel
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Jewel and Donald;

Andrew put this in the Discussion Re: Kit # 107477

Livingstone 107477. This participant is the grandson of Duncan Livingstone who married to Mary Agnes O'Connell and was having childre around 1920. Both were born in the U.S. and Duncan was possibly born in Boston, MA, USA.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Yes that was the Boston Livingston I was referring to in my earlier request for information in my Boston Livington posting.

regards,

Donald