Armagh - James Edward Livingston b.1853

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
livingstonep

Armagh - James Edward Livingston b.1853

Post by livingstonep »

Hello.

For purposes of record, following data is my firm and accurate family line; covering current research into Livingston family in Armagh, Northern Ireland. Any family connections or additional data greatly appreciated.

Thanks; Philip Livingstone

Richard Livingston (G.G.Grandfather)
B. Estimated before 1830. Presumed: County Armagh. Northern Ireland
Listed as farmer; from 1876 wedding of James (son).
No further details verified as being fully accurate.
Working assumption is that this is Richard Livingson born 08 Aug 1801 in Lisnamintry Townland, Kernan DED, Co. Armagh

James Edward Livingston (G.Grandfather)
B. 22 Jun 1851. County Armagh. Northern Ireland
M. Sarah Lamb. Mullaghglass Church Of Ireland. Killevy Parish, Newry Civil District. To: Sarah Lamb (b. Abt 1850, County Armagh)
D. 29 May 1915. Belfast, Northern Ireland

Thomas McBride Livingston (Grandfather)
B. 18 May 1884. Tullyhue, Ballymore, County Armagh, Northern Ireland
M. 22 Nov 1905. Mount Pottinger Methodist Church, Belfast. To: Letitia Patton Crawford (b. 1885, Belfast, Ireland)
D. Oct 1970. Barrow-in-Furness. Lancashire, England.

William Francis Livingston (Father)
B. 04 Nov 1922. Barrow-in-Furness. Lancashire. England.
M. 03 Apr 1954. Greengate Methodist Church. Barrow-in-Furness. Lancashire. To: Joyce Lee
D. 28 Aug 2007. Barrow-in-Furness. Lancashire.

Census of Ireland, 1901 - Showing James Edward Livingston and family.
Henderson Avenue, Cavehill Road, Belfast.
• James Edward Livingston, Church Of Ireland, Aged: 50, Cashier & Bookeeper. Married, b. County Armagh [born 22 Jun 1851]
• Sarah Livingston, Church Of Ireland, Aged: 53, Household Duty. Married, b. County Armagh. [born 16 Feb 1846]
• William John Livingston, Church Of Ireland, Aged: 23, Charge Hand for Woollen ??, Unmarried, b.County Armagh [born 06 Jun 1877]
• Richard Henry Livingston, Church Of Ireland, Aged: 21, Apprentice Carpenter & Joiner, Unmarried, b. County Armagh [born 08 Feb 1880] – later emigrated to New York (Queens)
• Robert Allen Livingston, Church Of Ireland, Aged: 19, Apprentice Book Keeper, Unmarried, b. County Armagh [born approx 1882]
• Thompson McBride Livingston, Church Of Ireland, Aged: 16, Apprentice Pattern Maker, Unmarried, b. County Armagh [born 18 May 1884]
• Joseph Alfred Livingston, Church Of Ireland, Aged: 15, Scholar, Unmarried, b. County Armagh [born approx 1885]
• Francis Charles Livingston, Church Of Ireland, Aged: 13, Scholar, Unmarried, b. County Armagh [born 25 Mar 1888] – later emigrated to New Zealand (Wellington)
• Frederick Dunbar Livingston, Church Of Ireland, Aged: 9, Scholar, Unmarried, b. County Armagh [born approx 1891]
[/color]
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Armagh - James Edward Livingston b.1853

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Phillip,

I am sorry I regret to say I dont have information on your Livingstons that lived in County Armagh. Have you checked the 1830's Tithe Records for the Parishes and Townlands in Armagh which is used as substitute for the 19th century census records that of course as you probably know are missing for most of Ireland and Northern Ireland? There are also some Presbyterian church records for Armagh congregations from the 19th century but I dont know about Church of Ireland records. There is also the Griffith Valuations from the 1860's which might prove useful if you have not searched for your family with those. YOu may be able to locate your ancestors location from the Griffiths valuation and a map which goes with it. Some of the Cemetery records in the Counties of Northern Ireland have been copied and published at least in County Antrim. I dont know about County Armagh. My Lowery family lived in County Armagh but most of my research was done regarding relatives that lived in County Antrim and that was when I visited the Public Records office in Belfast about 10 years ago.

I am aware that by the 1800's Livingstons originally from Scotland were living in all of the Counties particularly in the north of Ireland. At this point in time I have not done any extensive research on Livingstons that lived in Ireland but I understand some lowland families settled in the north. It is an area that sadly that this aspect of Livingston history has been neglected and I hoping that we can find someone who has done research into this area to contribute information to the Maclea Livingstone Society.

regards,

Donald
livingstonep

Post by livingstonep »

Thank you for your prompt reply Donald.

I was aware and have been researching most of your suggested approaches, but not yet uncovered any firm data. My Livingston of Armagh database of records is growing in size though!

I have recently connected with a direct Livingston family member (Brian) and our research is accelerating, but not yet conclusive.
As per my note above, Brian's excellent work is currently suggestion our Richard Livingston family is as follows:

Richard Livingston (b. 8.8.1801 in Lisnamintry; d. 18.6.1880) MARRIED Ann Calvert (b.1804; d. 14.12.1879) on 8 April, 1830, Tullylish Parish Church, Co. Down

They had 11 children one of whom was a James Edward, Chr. 12 July, 1849, Knocknamuckley

The others were Elizabeth,Chr.10.4.1831; Mary Ann,Chr. 14.4.1833; Joseph, Chr.10.4.1836; Rachel, Chr. 5.8.1838; Ann Jane, 1840; Alexander, Jan, 1842; Margaret, Chr. 22 12.1844; George, 1847; Thomas, Chr. 4.2.1850 and Jane, May, 1856. Apart from Elizabeth, Mary Jane and Joseph, whose birthplace is Seagoe, the others were all born in Knocknamuckley.

Joseph married Mary Hamilton on 5.3.1872 in Seagoe. They had a son named Richard, b. 9.2.1873 in Seagoe.
Interestingly, Joseph may also have married again, to a Margaret Ann and one of their children was VALENTINE LIVINGSTON b.1891 in County Armagh.

Thomas married Mary Haddock on 15 July, 1878, Knocknamuckley. The Marriage Certificate shows that his father, Richard, was a Weaver. One of their children was named Richard, b. 20.8.1885; d. 27.9.1906.

I am planning to visit Northern Ireland later this month and will visit PRONI and Belfast, hoping to get to local records in Armagh.

Brian has made many of the recent breakthrough's, though by chance I did manage to locate our Livingston family (from Francis Charles, b.25 Mar 1888) in New Zealand.

Again, for the record, we have determined our Richard Henry Livingston (b.08 Feb 1880) who emigrated to New York in 1906 didn't appear to marry, so this line stops. Richard was a Carpenter and worked in Manhattan, New York, New York. We have Richard living in Malvern Ave (Block K) in 1930 Census.

Hoping the information provided may connect us to other Livingston family and data.

Regards; Philip Livingstone
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Phillip,

It is frustrating knowing that so many of the records for Armagh and other Counties in Northern Ireland were destroyed in 1922. I noticed that there is an Armagh Ancestry website. I suspect that some of the Lowland Livingstons from Scotland may have arrived as early as the 1600's with other Scots from Ayrshire and other such lowland Counties but I am not 100% certain. We appreciate your family tree submission and consider it an important first step in our understanding of Livingstons that lived in the north of Ireland.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Phillip,

Actually I hoping sometime soon to look through the index which includes Livington familes in the Tithe records from the 1830's in the six in the North and make note of any location trends. When you go to Public records office see if they can help you establish when exactly the Livingstons located in Ireland if you dont know already. I realize that most of the 17th and 18th century records were destroyed in 1922 but some information from this period did survive although not much. I suspect the extent of the Livingstons in the six counties in the north would indicate that they have been in Northern Ireland since the 1600's but it would be nice if you could get some sense of the history of Livingstons in Ireland. Perhaps some of the Livingstons in Northern Ireland have a oral family history that might help to confirm their origins in the 1600's. If you have not done so already I would try and make contact with some of the Livingston families in County Down and County Armagh for example and see if any have any sense of their history. If you dig while in Northern Ireland or with the help of the Public Record office you might find their is a Livingston family file somewhere or some published history from your ancestral area that mentions a Livingston family. A bit of work but you might stumble across something as yet unknown to you. Perhaps someone from Armagh Ancestry or some organization in County Down might have some suggestions to connect with Livingston related information. At one point I think I understood that some of the Callendar Lowland Livingston family were in Northern Ireland but I dont remember exactly where I saw that info. It was a few years ago. I am fairly certain that most of the Livingstonfamilies that have been in Northern Ireland since the 1600's originated from the lowlands of Scotland possibly from Ayrshire or one of the other Lowland counties that those who migrated to the counties of the north at that time originated from. Again someone in County Down and County Armagh may have some valuable insight regarding this and your Livingstons. I regret I can only speak in vague generalities regarding your Livingston family. I do hope to look at the Livingstons in the tithe records sometime. I used to have a tithe record and griffith valuation index cd long ago but they no longer work with my latest computer systems for some reason. In any event we have the indexes and these records at my public library.

regards,

Donald