Tartans

Announcements from the Chief of MacLea, the ancient historical name of the Livingstones.
Bachuil

Tartans

Post by Bachuil »

First let me wish everyone a very Happy 2011.

The year so far has been every bit as hectic as last year and I regret that I have not had as much time to participate in the forum as I would like.

I have however picked up on a few comments on tartans and feel that it is very important to set the record straight.

As Jill hints, much complete and utter nonsense has been written about our clan. Many popularist tartan books simply rehash old mistakes and care not in the least about the accuracy or otherwise of what is written. Various authors will suggest that we are septs of the Campbells, MacDougalls or the Stewarts of Appin. This is nonsense. We are an independent clan and predate all three by many hundreds of years.

Whilst in theory you can wear any tartan you like, and choose it to match your eyes, hair or flower bed, anyone who is looking to wear a tartan to reflect their clan allegiance should be more careful.

There has been a myth that the Livingston tartan correctly belongs to the Lowland family. Lowlanders did not wear tartan. Furthermore there is, to my mind, fairly conclusive evidence that suggests that the Lowland family are simply descendents of the Highland Livingstone/MacLeas.

Any Livingstone or MacLea, of whatever spelling, should wear one of our tartans shown here http://www.clanlivingstone.info/Tartans.htm. To wear any other such as a Stewart of Appin is incorrect and simply serves to perpetuate the errors of the misinformed.

Clearly, if you have a much loved kilt that is not strictly correct then I am not suggesting that it is burnt or discarded. However, if buying new it is as well to get it right.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Kyle MacLea

Re: Tartans

Post by Kyle MacLea »

We really value having your thoughts in all of this, Bachuil.

One of the things I noticed in walking the tents at the Highland Games events I attended this summer was how good it was to be in close contact with your Chief.

So many chiefs are distant, hard to contact, or simply uninterested. We definitely don't have that with you.

And so, having your thoughts on tartans, etc., is something that all of us can access. Thank you for that!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Hamish McLeay

Post by Hamish McLeay »

That is good to know...i have had a stewart of appin kilt for 25 years and am looking to replace it keeping it however for scotland football matches and other messy occasions ....the reason i came to have a stewart of appin kilt is simple....i walked into kilt shop asked for a mcleay tartan kilt and was told by kiltmaker that was the right tartan for a mcleay to wear...by the way the kilt shop was in edinburgh which is worrying.....will look at proper tartan for replacement....thanks for the advice...Hamish
Hamish McLeay

Post by Hamish McLeay »

I like the one thats similar to maclaine of lochbuie ? at first glance anyway...probably would all look quite different though make into kilt...H
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi Hamish,

The Macleay tartan would be very appropriate and I think would look beautiful in kilt form. One of my next purchases as well!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com